Anyone Ride Fat Bikes?

Dec. 22, 2014, 10:59 p.m.

chromag fat bikes - nice dreams - are rolling out:

just as interesting, the mention of a rigid chromag fork, the tomahawk

http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/12/19/chromag-shores-up-a-fat-bike-with-nice-dreams/

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Dec. 22, 2014, 11:09 p.m.

^Cuánto?

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Dec. 23, 2014, 9:01 a.m.

Not a fan of the name, but something about those Chromag lines.. :drool:

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Dec. 23, 2014, 9:20 a.m.

Those Chromags are niiiiiiice!

I'm skipping the Ski Pass next year and spending the bucks on a Fatbike instead. Hearing stories of guys riding some of the epics around here with assistance from a sled drop is pretty sweet.

^Cuánto?

article says frame only starting at $1550..little too pricey for this guy when Surly is putting out some nice completes for not much more

Dec. 23, 2014, 9:31 a.m.

I'm skipping the Ski Pass next year and spending the bucks on a Fatbike instead. Hearing stories of guys riding some of the epics around here with assistance from a sled drop is pretty sweet.

article says frame only starting at $1550..little too pricey for this guy when Surly is putting out some nice completes for not much more

Or a complete Rocky Blizzard for around $2000… with rigid fork. But yeah, the Chromag is a beautiful looking frame.

Dec. 23, 2014, 9:50 a.m.

Or a complete Rocky Blizzard for around $2000… with rigid fork.

i hadn't noticed that rocky diversified the blizzard a bit. i think it's a sharp move

there's also a frameset for 1.5k: frame, bluto and hubs: build a fatbike; build a 29er

really though, they shoulda coulda made it steel

something about those Chromag lines.. :drool:

yeah, ian's got us pegged! with the recent spike in interest and variation in hardtails - 29er, 29+, fatbike, 27.5+ - he must be like a cross between a kid in a candy store and a mad scientist, cooking up new designs

if you're set on suspension, take a closer look at the numbers and it's not as big as a gap as you'd think. surly's price for an ice cream truck, their suspension-ready fatbike, is ~3000$ for a rigid complete, 1250$ for a frameset. 1550$ for a nice dream gets you made-in-bc AND chromag cred for ~300$ more

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Dec. 23, 2014, 10:10 a.m.

i hadn't noticed that rocky diversified the blizzard a bit. i think it's a sharp move

there's also a frameset for 1.5k: frame, bluto and hubs: build a fatbike; build a 29er

yeah, ian's got us pegged! with the recent spike in interest and variation in hardtails - 29er, 29+, fatbike, 27.5+ - he must be like a cross between a kid in a candy store and a mad scientist, cooking up new designs

if you're set on suspension, take a closer look at the numbers and it's not as big as a gap as you'd think. surly's price for an ice cream truck, their suspension-ready fatbike, is ~3000$ for a rigid complete, 1250$ for a frameset. 1550$ for a nice dream gets you made-in-bc AND chromag cred for ~300$ more

Blizzard with rigid fork. Looks good.

Dec. 23, 2014, 10:31 a.m.

I guess I don't know enough about fat-bikes to know if front suspension is really needed…I've been told by guys that have ridden both rigid and bluto equipped bikes that it's really not necessary.

I've been looking at a Surly Pugsley at the "other" LBS (the one I really don't care to shop at, unfortunately) with a pretty solid built on sale for $2k..or the frame/fork MSRP for $850 and build it with some of my stockpile of existing parts :/

Dec. 23, 2014, 10:43 a.m.

I guess I don't know enough about fat-bikes to know if front suspension is really needed…I've been told by guys that have ridden both rigid and bluto equipped bikes that it's really not necessary.

i think a trusted voice will deliver his thoughts on this quandry shortly ;)

or the frame/fork MSRP for $850 and build it with some of my stockpile of existing parts :/

i've been humming and hawing something similar:

http://www.planet-x-usa.com/product-p/buoofat.htm

on one fatty rolling chasis - frame, fork, wheels and tires - for $880 (plus shipping). front end is trail-slack, and the fork is suspension correct for ~100mm of travel so you don't have to commit to rigid:

looks pretty shred-able :)

Dec. 23, 2014, 11:51 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR0PyQm1_6A

Dec. 23, 2014, 12:55 p.m.

That on one is just a beautiful looking bike…love the lines.

Dec. 23, 2014, 3:11 p.m.

That's about the same as any other handbuilt Chromag option though. Not saying that everyone is willing to pay that for a steel hardtrail (fatty or otherwise), but I don't think the price is out there for what they offer.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Dec. 23, 2014, 7:01 p.m.

One of these on the floor in our NV store if anyone wants to swing a leg over one. (We had the suspension model as well but already sold..)

Blizzard with rigid fork. Looks good.

www.differentbikes.ca
North Vancouver | West Vancouver | Vancouver Broadway |

Dec. 23, 2014, 8:24 p.m.

Hmm

I hadn't seen a fatty w/ dropper post until the On One. Was wondering if droppers were a faux pas on fatties, guess not.

Nice Dreams I thought was named Ice Cream, but I guess Surly has that.
So unneeded, yet so wanted.:thepimp:

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Dec. 23, 2014, 8:31 p.m.

Hmm

I hadn't seen a fatty w/ dropper post until the On One. Was wondering if droppers were a faux pas on fatties, guess not.

Nice Dreams I thought was named Ice Cream, but I guess Surly has that.
So unneeded, yet so wanted.:thepimp:

I run a rigid post and fork on my On-One and find I don't need a dropper or suspension. Less sh!t to go wrong the better in the winter IMO … but to each their own.