Anyone ride an E13 TRS Race?

Sept. 16, 2020, 9:29 p.m.

I got a couple of these for a super deal a while ago. I put one on the back of my bike and the traction is ridiculous but holy slow roller! The thing feels like a small anchor back there.

Who uses this tyre? Do most people just use it at the park when they don't have to pedal? Or should I just buck up, enjoy the traction and build my cardio?

Sept. 17, 2020, 12:07 a.m.

Went through a pair with the Plus compound, they were awesome no complaints at all. Bit ironic that it's slow with those low fast center knobs, that Race compound must be sidewalk gum. FYI the Plus compound was actually pretty damn quick.

Sept. 17, 2020, 7:21 a.m.

Which generation of the TRS are you using? I used a pair of the TRS (Gen1, Plus compound)  last summer and they were by far the tires with the most rolling resistance I've ever used. I am back on Magic Marys (Addix soft, around the same weight but with a Cushcore pro) and they feel much quicker rolling even with the insert. I remember my first few rides on the TRS and I couldn't believe it! 

I also ride DHR IIs on another bike and they feel like they have much less rolling resistance than the TRS. 

Maybe the Gen2 were faster than the Gen1 but I haven't tried them as they seemed too square for my liking. Curious about the Gen3 version though, it seems like they addressed the rolling resistance and squareness issues.

Sept. 17, 2020, 6:34 p.m.

I tried the Gen 3's. Agreed that they're really slow rolling. My theory is that they're (still!!) a really square tire, so the side knobs must be making a lot of contact when pedaling along. The MOPO version I had on the front had wicked good grip on wet roots/rocks. I like their casings. The low center knobs give up traction to the DHR, Assegai, Mary in anything deep, sloppy or soft while simultaneously rolling slow, so I quit running them.  If I lived in Squamish or spent a lot of time in the park they might be my tire of choice, but I'd want a sub 30mm wide rim to round them out a little bit.

Sept. 17, 2020, 9:20 p.m.

This makes a lot of sense.

Posted by: JVP

I tried the Gen 3's. Agreed that they're really slow rolling. My theory is that they're (still!!) a really square tire, so the side knobs must be making a lot of contact when pedaling along. The MOPO version I had on the front had wicked good grip on wet roots/rocks. I like their casings. The low center knobs give up traction to the DHR, Assegai, Mary in anything deep, sloppy or soft while simultaneously rolling slow, so I quit running them.  If I lived in Squamish or spent a lot of time in the park they might be my tire of choice, but I'd want a sub 30mm wide rim to round them out a little bit.

This makes a lot of sense. I'm on a wide rim and run low pressure so that probably makes it way worse. Also, the casing is made of lead or something. At 220lbs I feel like I can hardly deform the casing. I threw it on the back so I can quickly wear it out and put something faster back there. Glad others confirmed my impression. I actually checked to see if my brake was dragging.....

Sept. 18, 2020, 10:59 a.m.

Sounds like you might be on the Gen 2 tires. They were super slow rolling and had a thicker sidewall...but the Gen 3 is totally different....Also the TRS casing in the Gen 3 feels virtually the same as a Maxxis EXO+ casing...If you read Cam's review on the new tires you can visually tell what tire you have (Gen 2 or Gen 3). If you got a crazy good deal it's prob Gen 2 closeout....

https://nsmb.com/articles/ethirteens-new-trs-and-lg1-tires-reviewed/

The Gen 3 rolls virtually the same as the Mxxxis DHR II I had before and rolls WAY faster than an Assegai...I'm a huge fan of the TRSr Mopo front and Lg1 EN Race rear. After a bunch of Maxxis wobbly casings I only run the e13 now. I prefer the grip to the DHR II....

Seems they do very nicely under Remy and his crazy lines these days as well!

Last edited by: Jenkins5 on Sept. 18, 2020, 11:05 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 18, 2020, 7:46 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

I'm on a wide rim and run low pressure so that probably makes it way worse.

Yeah, I’m on wide-ish 32mm rims. E.thirteen’s rims were 28mm wide when these came out, so I suspect they’re optimized for that narrower profile. I’d give them a shot again if I was running narrower rims.

Sept. 22, 2020, 10 a.m.

I got four of the 2018 ones (three race, one plus compound) for ~45 eurobux and put them on my hardtail. I really enjoy the grip, the rolling speed doesn't bother me. Only thing so far is that I found it harder to predict when they will break loose, coming from WTB vigilantes and a Michelin Wild Enduro Front.

Sept. 27, 2020, 10:43 p.m.

I actually rolled to a stop while rolling down a gravel road with a 5-7 degree decline today. I am going to get so fit riding this tire this winter!

Sept. 30, 2020, 3:20 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

I actually rolled to a stop while rolling down a gravel road with a 5-7 degree decline today. I am going to get so fit riding this tire this winter!

Haha. Those are the second generation for sure! Great grip but slow. If you ever try some of the most recent Generation 3's I think you'll like them a LOT more....