anyone ride all flats all the time?

April 8, 2015, 9:21 a.m.

what i,m getting tired of is my feet bouncing around and not being in the position i want them to be in certain sections . i enjoy flats but am leaning more and more to clipless as i start getting faster

Yeah, the feet bouncing around and sometimes not being in the position I want them is what I'm battling with right now. I have been off the bike for a while and just coming back to it too which is part of the problem too.

Wrong. Always.

April 8, 2015, 9:27 a.m.

Yeah, the feet bouncing around and sometimes not being in the position I want them is what I'm battling with right now. I have been off the bike for a while and just coming back to it too which is part of the problem too.

It takes a while but you will be more connected with your bike after a few rides on flats. Only very rarely do I feel that anymore…and if your foot does come off, it's so much easier to put back on then to try and find your cleat again….lol.

April 8, 2015, 9:30 a.m.

I find my cornering is faster being clipped in. Its so easy to throw a foot out in a corner when riding flats, even though you don't need to. If you're feet are attached, you learn to corner more though the shoulders and hips. At least that's what I find. You can be really lazy with flats, which can be a good or bad thing.

April 8, 2015, 9:46 a.m.

I find if I drop my heel and push forward with my forward foot, and raise my heel and push backwards with my rear foot, I'm very stable on the flats and rarely ever bounce off them.

Side view is sorta like this: \[HTML_REMOVED]- -[HTML_REMOVED]/

Ride, don't slide.

April 8, 2015, 9:59 a.m.

I guess what I'm worried about with switching to clips is getting lazy and into poor technique when it gets rough or if I want to bunny hop etc. Does that actually happen if you've been riding flats all your life and have decent technique already though? ie can bunny hop without relying on pulling the back up with the cleats if you see what I mean.

April 8, 2015, 10:37 a.m.

If you learned proper technique on flats then you'll never lose that skill. I only rode flats exclusively for about 2 seasons, but what I learned I still do even clipped in. I never (ok rarely) pull up on my feet to bunny hop because that's just Joey level shit right there. Well, its what xc riders do, and its wrong. ;) The only time I do it is if I really need that back wheel to clear something or there will be dire consequences.

The best attributes I find with being clipped in are that I can be more 'explosive' out of corners, and generate a nice spin. But in regards to all other skills, flats are the way to go.

It pains me to watch some xc riders who have never learned how to ride flats. Gag worthy.

April 8, 2015, 10:55 a.m.

Clips have been a crutch for me somewhat. I am excited to be on flats. I've got the five ten freeride vxi's with the treadless section and fucking love them. They feel like I have stiffer sole that pedals more efficiently than my old school five ten moon boots. Getting some chromag scarabs and I will see how much I like them compared to my deity compounds (which are pretty decent but I think I will prefer the concaveness of the scarabs.)

Wrong. Always.

April 8, 2015, 11:27 a.m.

I know it's the flat pedal thread, but looks like some new DH clips from Shimano on the way

April 8, 2015, 11:46 a.m.

Grub screws!

Those would work wonders with the 510 Impact clips I run

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

April 8, 2015, 12:33 p.m.

i was wondering about those. does look saint-esque. would certainly make sense that they'd finally fill that gaping void in their lineup. neat.

April 8, 2015, 12:44 p.m.

It pains me to watch some xc riders who have never learned how to ride flats. Gag worthy.

passes bucket

Painful to watch isn't it?

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

April 8, 2015, 1:18 p.m.

I find if I drop my heel and push forward with my forward foot, and raise my heel and push backwards with my rear foot, I'm very stable on the flats and rarely ever bounce off them.

nice tip.

April 8, 2015, 7:01 p.m.

road heel down with my clips for many years in certain conditions , made a huge difference , used to say got on the heels in that spot LOL

#northsidetrailbuilders

April 8, 2015, 7:05 p.m.

I know it's the flat pedal thread, but looks like some new DH clips from Shimano on the way

anybody know if the cleat design is the same as what fit the old 636,s ?? that was my last clipless pedal i ran , i have DX shoes that where a few rides old when i gave up riding for 8yrs

#northsidetrailbuilders