Anyone ride a fat bike?

Jan. 27, 2021, 10:53 p.m.

Hey, I've been looking at fat bikes lately. Anyone here ride one?

They all seem to have geo from 1999. Is this because they are not made for particularly high speed or steep terrain? Anyone making a fat bike with more modern geo? Is it because they are designed for cornering while seated (similar to road or XC bikes)?

Jan. 27, 2021, 11:18 p.m.

I have a 2016 Fatboy. For the reason you mentioned I ordered a RSD Mayor frame that I’m hoping should be here soon. The Fatboy’s HT angle is 70.5 degrees. The new Mayor’s is 67.

Jan. 28, 2021, 5:04 a.m.

I ride a Surly Ice Cream Truck, which has a 68 degree HA. I think it's 1) stability 2) low speeds in snow (averaged 3.4mph for 3 hours after a fresh snowfall on Sunday) and 3) the terrain where they're most used, which is mostly rolling hills.

Jan. 28, 2021, 5:56 a.m.

I had a fatbike back when I was living in Calgary and going down to the Baja every winter. Moving to Victoria it just wasn't getting used so I sold it. I have two 29+ hardtails...and theoretically a 27+ capable hardtail that I run as a 29er. I found Plus tires much more useful for general purpose riding than fatbike tires. I personally wouldn't bother with a fatbike unless you ride really soft terrain frequently. Even when we get decent dumps of snow here I can ride them fine on 2.6"-3.0" tires. Once in 10 years there was so much snow that I headed home as I couldn't ride it effectively and those conditions lasted for 1 day.

In terms of geo fatbikes are mostly aimed at XC shredding and soft conditions touring/racing. So ya the geo isn't super aggressive [in most cases]. An angle adjust headset would be an easy tweak for a fatty and it's pretty easy to get a custom fatbike built to your specs. Keep in mind with 4"-5" tires acting like undamped springs you are not going careen down a rocky trail at high speed...and enjoy it. Think rock crawling not Baja 1000 racing.

For exploring in truly soft conditions a fatty is an amazing tool.

Lenz makes a FS fatty shown above. They'll do custom work if you ask nicely so you can tweak the geo further.

Last edited by: Vikb on Jan. 28, 2021, 6:19 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Jan. 28, 2021, 6:19 a.m.

Pole makes a fatty with modern geo.

https://polebicycles.com/polestore/product/taiga/

Jan. 28, 2021, 7:54 p.m.

This season I got an entry level norco bigfoot3 which has a pretty good spec, it cost 1500$  weighs just < 37lbs,the speeds on snow or sand will be for the most part much slower so i don't think the angles matter all that much cuz shit is  happening pretty slow on those big tires so the cable tektro disc's seem like enough braking power , i don't think i would bother with suspension cuz  the fat tires kind of wallow in a suspension like way

i havent ridden it much cuz of ACL reconstruction but fatbikes are fun in snow

Jan. 28, 2021, 8:39 p.m.

The local club here now grooms some of our trails. And not just the flat ones. Climbing is a lot easier on the groomed trails and you can get going pretty fast heading down. My Fatboy is sketchy at the best of times. But...RSD just bumped their delivery back to Feb 28 :(

Jan. 28, 2021, 9:08 p.m.

Living in Quebec where we have groomed trail centres, it's nice to have one. I usually xc ski to stay in shape in the winter, but I just bought a cheap CCM Brut that I completely upgraded with spare parts and I love it! I wasn't sure if I'd ride often and we are expecting a kid so I tried to keep the investment to a minimum and I have 0 regrets.

The geo isn't perfect, it's not too light (36 lbs with dropper and light tubes) and it wasn't visually the nicest steed at all before I did some adhesive vinyl work on it, but it brings me out to the trails almost every night now! I had to tear it down completely, regrease everything, adjust the hub preload,    properly tension the wheels and replace almost everything, but since I had a spare 11spd drivetrain, bars, grips, pedals, saddle, I just added better tires (CST Toboggans 26x4") and a TranzX externally-routed dropper and it was a whole different bike. Even steep climbs are doable with the right psi and cadence, and the gearing I have is spot on for the trails around (11-46 x 32).

My Lezyne helmet + handlebar lights combo is perfect to go explore snowshoe trails at night, escape the daylight crowds and blind other fat bike riders so they can't see my low budget steed 😂

That said, if the ground wasn't covered by a few feet of snow during 4-5months of the year, I wouldn't have bought one. Although it's a nice reminder of the simplicity and fun of just going on a ride on a rigid bike, and riding at night on snow is a pretty cool experience every time. Plus it will probably make me enjoy my cushy FS bike even more next summer!

Jan. 28, 2021, 9:20 p.m.

I need to go rent one of these days. Lots of trails in the north okanagan, silverstar has trails and the club invested in a groomer. That said, I’ve really taken to XC ski when the DH isn’t ideal. Yet another bike in the stable may breach D-1 (divorce). But they do look fun.

Jan. 29, 2021, 9:20 a.m.

Tempted truthfully . I have had snow/frozen ground at my place since Oct. Got a inch and half last nite .Currently trying to snow as I type this.

Jan. 29, 2021, 10:46 a.m.

I think fatbikes are in very short supply, I bought the last medium Bigfoot 3 unseen over the phone & I didnt pick it up till I could walk > a month later, shop bro said he could have sold it 10 times

SMBA is sposed to be getting a snow dog for trail grooming, should be great next year

Last edited by: XXX_er on Jan. 29, 2021, 10:47 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 31, 2021, 8:22 a.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

I think fatbikes are in very short supply, I bought the last medium Bigfoot 3 unseen over the phone & I didnt pick it up till I could walk > a month later, shop bro said he could have sold it 10 times

SMBA is sposed to be getting a snow dog for trail grooming, should be great next year

The Dawg has been a game changer for us and the reason I didn’t sell my fatbike. With not enough snow or too much snow, the groomer makes the trails better. With just a bit of now last week and one pass we now have some prime trails to ride. Without the groomer the icy spots would pop up in a day or two. In your case I’m thinking it would make trails rideable with one or two passes after a decent dump instead of it being a slog fest to ride. Colin is the groomer dude here. Smithers guy. I’m guessing you know him.

Jan. 31, 2021, 9:50 p.m.

I have a Salsa Mukluk from last year. The geometry is kinda 2008 but I think it's ok - 69 degree HA. I mean I'm not doing anything super dicey on it and the 4.6" tires can already have a little self steer with slightly off psi. Maybe the massive contact patch and tire dynamics dictate some of the old school geometry too. 

This bike does have adjustable chainstays, which I run at the longest position (457mm). That seems to have a noticeable effect on ride quality. 

If I want a slacker HA I need a 9.8 SlackR, which would be fine but the front geo is probably ok as is.

Feb. 1, 2021, 12:43 p.m.

Posted by: drezy

Posted by: XXX_er

The Dawg has been a game changer for us and the reason I didn’t sell my fatbike. With not enough snow or too much snow, the groomer makes the trails better. With just a bit of now last week and one pass we now have some prime trails to ride. Without the groomer the icy spots would pop up in a day or two. In your case I’m thinking it would make trails rideable with one or two passes after a decent dump instead of it being a slog fest to ride. Colin is the groomer dude here. Smithers guy. I’m guessing you know him.

That is cool to hear ^^ the guy hitting me up for money said we might have to do some snow shoe work early season before running a snow dog, it sounded like they almost had the money togetehr, I suspect it will be the builder doing the grooming

I can't ski this year so I got the Fat bike to ride while the ACL reconstructs itself but the PT very strongly said NO stick to a stationary bike !

so i have only rode it a few times but its fun, there is always next year and by then the snow dog should be completly up to speed

not too sure about a guy named colin

edit: there is a site on FB called Canadian Fat bikers if you want to see how the rest of the country fatbikes and it looks like a lot of grooming gets done

Last edited by: XXX_er on Feb. 1, 2021, 1:58 p.m., edited 3 times in total.
Feb. 4, 2021, 8:12 p.m.

Posted by: JBV

i'm fat and ride a bike. does that count?

No, I'm in the same boat.