Anyone put an HC97 in a late model Lyrik?

Sept. 24, 2021, 11:27 a.m.

I'm glad you're getting closer to a setup that works!

Are you sure you've got a C1 airspring in there? Those numbers are around what I'd expect for the B1 airshaft, but as you said, If it works it work.

Also important to check the pressure with the fork fully extended. Compress the fork a little and then lift it off the ground so that you have a reliable baseline.

LSR: -3 also doesn't sound too far out based on the Rockshox and other's recommendations. It may be worth considering stiffening the HSR shim stack if you'd like to open the LSR back up. The Push recommended tunes only require adding a couple shims in, if you'd like to dig yourself into a deeper rabbit hole.

The Norco Ride Aligned setup guide can also be helpful for getting your fork setup in the right ball park, 2020 Sight for 160mm B1 setup, 2021 for 160mm C1 setup. (although your numbers line up with the B1 setup)

Sept. 24, 2021, 4:33 p.m.

Yeah I knownseems like B1 pressures but it's a C1 for sure (big red cup near the top) same as the 170 that was in there before. 

I need less than  recommended pressure with the 170, so it's wierd for sure. But it's getting better. Didn't get to ride anything real gnarly but I rode it at 114psi last night  (just what the resulting pressure was when I connected the new digital pump). Added 2 clicks of HSC mainly to make the LSC do something and about 5 clicks of LSC and seems promising.  

I may try a third spacer, or I may try 120 with no spacers. I am on track now I was just way down on air I think.

Sept. 24, 2021, 10:10 p.m.

One other idea:

Experiment with bar height. When I went to a shorter travel 29er with longish reach and longish chainstays, but steeper head angle compared to my Madonna with a 180mm fork, I had the feeling that my fork dived and the front end felt strange. I fiddled with spacers and even fork travel and compression setup etc. and a firmer fork worked better in this respect, but I find it beneficient to use more of the travel on my shorter travel rig regularly, compared to my Madonna ( I don‘t do stunts which require 180mm on every ride). I do ride stuff which kind of warrants 130/140mm on basically every ride (that‘s in relation to what my body can take long-term, not what a pro could do with my bikes…)

But what actually solved this divey, strange feeling for me, even though I didn‘t expect it at all, was a higher riser bar and a more linear fork setup with enough suppleness.

My stem is set up with plenty (3cm) of spacers underneath (Orbea Occam, size Large, short head tube) and a +35mm riser bar.

When I look at the bike I would absolutely guess that the bars are too high. Especially in comparison to my previous bikes. (But kind of in line with what works on my Madonna)

Actually +1cm of bar rise changed the bike for me from „I kind of regret buying it“ to „I am incredibly excited to ride it and can‘t pick between the Madonna (which I love) and the shorter travel bike“. I tended to run very firm forks and low bars. Which made me never use all the travel, but worked. But it is kind of pointless to lug all that travel around. (But some security margin is nice…)

Last edited by: Znarf on Sept. 24, 2021, 10:12 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 25, 2021, 8 a.m.

I could try it. The bars are currently 1100mm from the floor to the center of the bar end, which is not low by anyone's standards, but I could try more. My HD5 sits at 1110mm but has more travel so sagged heights are probably similar. 

I do love raaws tall stack heights. 

Going for a Dales/forever after ride today. Will be right in this bike's wheelhouse. And while not the gnarliest there's a few spots where if you have a poor fork setup, they'll let you know. Haha.

Oct. 6, 2021, 7:29 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

I have a b1 airspring you could try if you want. I like the c1 better personally. I like the higher ride and support I feel it gives. 

If you ran the same air pressure and tokens as the longer travel, what you did could definitely help.

What travel is your b1? 

So another 10mm of bars height with a 10mm longer stem to help keep the weight balance where I want, and 105psi with two volume spacers is... way better, but small bump could still be better, part of it is probably just the air spring itself. B1 160mm or 170mm springs seem real tough to get though. 

I may actually try 3 spacers and 100 psi.

Oct. 6, 2021, 8:26 p.m.

Posted by: Kenny

Posted by: RAHrider

I have a b1 airspring you could try if you want. I like the c1 better personally. I like the higher ride and support I feel it gives. 

If you ran the same air pressure and tokens as the longer travel, what you did could definitely help.

What travel is your b1? 

So another 10mm of bars height with a 10mm longer stem to help keep the weight balance where I want, and 105psi with two volume spacers is... way better, but small bump could still be better, part of it is probably just the air spring itself. B1 160mm or 170mm springs seem real tough to get though. 

I may actually try 3 spacers and 100 psi.

There really isn't a length. You just pull the red bits off the shaft and put them on your old shaft.

Oct. 7, 2021, 11:13 a.m.

A right true that. I have 160 and 170 springs so as long as I have a seal head and foot nut it's good to go. 

It's pretty close as is though, so I will keep fiddling for now..

Oct. 13, 2021, 8:25 p.m.

Sorry for the running monologue but maybe it'll help someone in the future. 

Since 105 was better I tried 100 for fun. 

Terrible. I think the fork sags more and basically and just rides on the ramp up of the two volume spacers. Lower ride height AND harsher. Beat that eh? Lol. 

Next stop 110 no spacers.

Oct. 21, 2021, 6:39 p.m.

Mentioned it in the formula thread but out of exasperation I robbed the dvo diamond off my hardtail, set it to 160, and threw it on in place of the lyrik. 

Mind blown. Forgot what a fork should feel like. Onto pinkbike buysell it goes. Will replace it with a diamond or onyx I think. Mainly because the tuning process makes sense to me and all of the adjustments actually seem to do what you'd expect. This fork is just not for me. Ah well win some lose some.

June 18, 2022, 4:14 p.m.

Back from the dead!

After this fork feeling like hot garbage on three different frames at three different travel settings and every combo of pressure and damping setting imaginable, I finally organized myself a B1 air spring setup.

Wow!!!!

Night and day. Fork feels amazing!

10psi more pressure than C1, LSC wide open, HSC 2 clicks out, no spacers.

Wish I did it a long time ago! I was skeptical about it making a big difference. Dunno what sram was smoking when they came up with the C1 design. Certainly a big step back, at least for me.

Last edited by: Kenny on June 18, 2022, 4:15 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 18, 2022, 5:41 p.m.

Think the latest forks are looking to circle back around to the performance of that generation. I had the previous two and my experience echoed yours. The change to the longer sealhead to hold the fork higher in it's travel sucked. 

Looking forward to trying the latest model.

June 18, 2022, 11:23 p.m.

I just put a Luft Fusion air sleeve into my C1 Lyrik Ultimate. It uses a much larger negative volume, a smaller diameter air piston and you have to use 60 percent more air pressure. It is more linear and feels fantastic. I use 110psi instead of 70psi at 74kg with a 180mm fork now, no tokens. Might not work for heavier riders, but is super sensitive and yet supportive. Traction is increased! I did like the C1 with enough pressure, I just felt it was either a tad reluctant in the very first part of its travel OR was divey in the last third. 

I‘ll also give a B1 air shaft a try on my wife‘s C1 Lyrik, they are hard to find though…

Last edited by: Znarf on June 18, 2022, 11:26 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 20, 2022, 10:12 p.m.

The luft seems cool, but yeah I'd be over the max pressure. B1s for lyrik are getting tougher to find for sure. 

Another possibility:

https://www.everflow.it/webshop/performance-parts/tank-lyrik-pike/

It does sound like the latest forks have some features that will help but I'm relieved to have things feeling so good. I bought a lot of bike parts last couple years and am tired of the updraditis/hamster wheel effect. Looking forward to a couple years of just doing regular maintenance and enjoying. :)

July 4, 2022, 11:21 a.m.

Just a note that Vorsprung carries a B1 sealhead

https://www.vorsprungsuspension.com/collections/all/products/secus-footstuds-spare-parts?variant=38738094391447

July 4, 2022, 5:51 p.m.

Interesting! Is the part they call the "A2 Foot nut" is the appropriate foot nut for it? (I don't think you can run a B1 sealhead with the taller C1 foot nut?)