Anyone just say screw it and forget about adjustable seatposts?

Sept. 9, 2013, 9:34 p.m.

Weak. Not putting a dropper on your bike because you are afraid it will fail is silly. You hear a lot of complaints about failure, but the actual rate is really low. Do you not ride with a suspension fork or hydraulic disc brakes because you are afraid of a seal failure ruining your ride?
over two years on my gravity dropper and have yet to see even a hiccup in it's performance.

to further my reasoning on this and to add some credibility to my not wanting a suspension post (not sure how I ride a bike without one!!) I deal with hydraulics for a living. It is clear and obvious how inept the bike industry is at designing and building any sort of hydraulic circuit. The last place I want a failed valve or seal is on my seatpost. I can live with a blown damper or master cylinder and still get home in one piece. My interweb and real life observations of these thing are that they are a heavy,expensive and unreliable part. If I cant trust the major mfgrs to build a simple damper that has a lifespan of more than 2-300 runs….where are they gonna be when my seatpost fails somewhere between here and Jasper?

I thinks its great that some folks like them and haven't had issue with them. My riding has changed a lot in the past few years, especially what I ride. the simpler the better….and the more fun Im having. Although yes, I am running discs, Im managing to survive interior single track with a rigid fork, one gear and a smile on my face……and full extension on my pedalstrokes.

Pastor of Muppets

Sept. 9, 2013, 10:19 p.m.

what stroke dropper are most people using ? 100mm 125mm ?

#northsidetrailbuilders

Sept. 9, 2013, 10:27 p.m.

Mine's a 150mm Lev. I don't actually need the 150mm drop but I need the full length for my 35" inseam.

I kind of derided these products before I had one. Once I started using one I realized how much I'd ride with my saddle at the wrong height (heading east along the BP on Fromme, anyone?). Now I can pretty much be in the perfect spot all the time. I didn't realize how much I was using it until I went for a ride with a buddy who doesn't have one. He kept asking "is this an up or a down section?" and I was all WTF until I considered how long it had been since I had to care about that.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Sept. 9, 2013, 11:15 p.m.

150 on the Lev and happy to have all of it. also very tall and long of limb, so full up is comfortable on the legs/knees, full down for the steepest bits. sold my first KS post in good working order to a friend and bought the Lev 150 and 6 months on, glad i did. he got a great dropper post and i got the desired post with long travel. first world problems i know…

Sept. 10, 2013, 1:25 p.m.

150 on the Lev and happy to have all of it.

ditto and I'd go for 175 if someone offers it.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Sept. 10, 2013, 1:27 p.m.

The only thing that caught me off-guard about my adjustable seatpost is that the minimum insertion line is waaaaaay up the post compared to a static post. I originally bought the short LEV since a 330mm Thomson was long enough on my bike. Little did I know that the LEV's min insertion line was like 4" up the post. Ultimately sold the short one, bought the long one and lived happily ever after. Buyer beware.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Sept. 10, 2013, 3:55 p.m.

I have a 125 on my Nomad and 100mm on my Highball. The Highball needs a short post to fit. The 125 is about 5mm too long. Even then I don't use full drop very often. I seem to use them both at maybe 75 or so because I use the saddle on the inside of my knee as a prop for the tactile feel as I push the bike into its lean angle.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Sept. 10, 2013, 8:34 p.m.

I have a 125 on my Nomad and 100mm on my Highball. The Highball needs a short post to fit. The 125 is about 5mm too long. Even then I don't use full drop very often. I seem to use them both at maybe 75 or so because I use the saddle on the inside of my knee as a prop for the tactile feel as I push the bike into its lean angle.

i only raise or the my seat maybe 3" which is roughly 75mm so a 100mm might be the best choice for my needs any brands to avoid ?

#northsidetrailbuilders

Sept. 10, 2013, 8:35 p.m.

i only raise or the my seat maybe 3" which is roughly 75mm so a 100mm might be the best choice for my needs any brands to avoid ?

crank brothers

Sept. 10, 2013, 9:30 p.m.

I'm finding the same thing as you. I've been most comfortable with my 100mm Reverb because it leaves enough saddle in the way that I can stabilize and steer the bike with my thighs on the saddle.

I'm currently using a 125mm Reverb on my Enduro 29 and because of the 125mm drop and heavy curve on the seat tube I find that the saddle is a bit too far in front of my which causes me to control the bike mostly with my arms and feet which I don't really like. If I manage the drop the Reverb around 4" I definitely have better control even on the steeper shore trails.

Sept. 11, 2013, 8:41 a.m.

I'm finding the same thing as you. I've been most comfortable with my 100mm Reverb because it leaves enough saddle in the way that I can stabilize and steer the bike with my thighs on the saddle.

I'm currently using a 125mm Reverb on my Enduro 29 and because of the 125mm drop and heavy curve on the seat tube I find that the saddle is a bit too far in front of my which causes me to control the bike mostly with my arms and feet which I don't really like. If I manage the drop the Reverb around 4" I definitely have better control even on the steeper shore trails.

Your reverb should have come with a shiny little clip called an "enduro collar". Its intended to be placed on the post stantion to limit the drop to fix the exact problem you're having.

If you lost/didn't get one I would imagine they're pretty easy to find/buy/borrow as nobody I know who has a reverb actually uses theirs.

Sept. 11, 2013, 8:52 a.m.

Your reverb should have come with a shiny little clip called an "enduro collar". Its intended to be placed on the post stantion to limit the drop to fix the exact problem you're having.

If you lost/didn't get one I would imagine they're pretty easy to find/buy/borrow as nobody I know who has a reverb actually uses theirs.

Yeah, it's also light enough to keep in your pack for a "just in case" moment. I used to keep mine on the seatpost until I ruined a pair of shorts by dropping the post and pinching the material between the collar and the top of the non moving part of the post.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Sept. 11, 2013, 8:57 a.m.

i only raise or the my seat maybe 3" which is roughly 75mm so a 100mm might be the best choice for my needs

gravity dropper lets you pick between 2 and 5 inches of adjustability - and, with the turbo, where and if you want a middle position

any brands to avoid ?

crank brothers

this, in all things

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Sept. 12, 2013, 12:45 p.m.

Early Reverbs didn't have the enduro collar but I do have one from my newer Reverb and carry it in my camelbak. IMO, these are meant for emergency situations only because there is no way I'm going clamp a piece of aluminum with sharp edges to the stanchion of my dropper post. That's a recipe for instant scratches in a surface that needs a good seal. I've even deburred my collar but still won't use it an an everyday item. It should have a plastic clamping surface like some of the newer lock-on grips have.

Sept. 12, 2013, 1:12 p.m.

I have a KS 950-r that had issues….but it's been running fine for a while now, about to sell it because I just received a Thomson Elite Dropper.

I will ride without one…but I would prefer to not have to deal with it. I am the guy on rides who gets off and adjusts my post height far too much, I have been riding MTB for almost 30 years now and my knees just can't handle pedaling with the seat too low and my man bits would prefer to stay out of harms way as much as possible. I swear I use it more than my rear derailleur on some rides…hah.

For the island they are a must…so many of our trails are like roller coasters with steep and rocky downhills followed by punchy uphills…the perfect place for uppy-downy posts.