Anyone got an old Brodie descension series bike and some measuring tools?

Sept. 15, 2009, 7:43 p.m.

I managed to shear the bolt that goes between the big polished link and the rear shock up at whistler last weekend, and brodie said they could either get a new one from the supplier for $14+ tax (this is what the bike shop told me), or I could go and find another bolt the same size. I'm not one to spend any more than I really need on a bike (hence the old frame), so I wanted to purchase a replacement and maybe a few spares for myself. Unfortunately, in my rage against the bike, I managed to misplace the bolt. Does anyone know the length/shoulder size/thread pitch of this bolt? It's for a 2005 thumper, but from what I can tell, any frame from that model year (except the gigolo and libido) should share this bolt.

Sept. 15, 2009, 10:40 p.m.

just buy a new bolt through the bike shop… i wouldn't bother dicking around. Why measure bolts and go hunting for it when you can pay $14 and be done with it?

Sept. 16, 2009, 5:56 a.m.

Why in the name of Baby jesus would anyone pay 14 bucks for a bolt?

Lookup one of these companies and bring your bike to them and size up the required fastener.

Fastenal
Fabory metrican
Pacific fastener.

If you're in Surrey,there are about 1000000 jobber shops in Port Kells that can hook you up.

….14 bucks for a bolt…..someone needs a smack,

Pastor of Muppets

Sept. 16, 2009, 3:39 p.m.

I'll take a look at those shops, maybe just take the link and shock in and see if they have anything that'll fit it. Yeah, I'd never pay $14 for a bolt, especially since if it snapped under how I was riding in the rain I'll probably split them again.

Sept. 16, 2009, 3:46 p.m.

Be careful what you replace it with. Back in the day my friend had a Pipeline and he kept snapping the shock bolt. So I got him a nice grade 8 bolt and told him it should work great and last forever. Well, the bolt that kept breaking was a shear bolt put there by the frame manufacturer so that it would break instead of damaging the frame. He managed to push that bolt about 1/4 of an inch back into the shockmount (the bolt was fine, the frame, done). So ya, stronger isn't always better they might have used a weaker bolt for a reason.

alright!!!

Sept. 16, 2009, 4:36 p.m.

Under normal conditions, a grade 8 bolt isnt exerting any more force than a lesser grade bolt.

Its only until the shock bottoms out that the bolt has the potential to do that kind of damage. Valid point though.

If you bottom your suspension on a regular basis, find out what the stock grade was and stick with it. But if you dont bottom your suspension often or very hard, a grade eight SHOULD be fine. But ya never know.

Sorry to derail the thread a bit without actually answering your question.

Bump!

thinkin bout bikes

Sept. 16, 2009, 4:56 p.m.

Um, grade 8 bolts will be Imperial size.

For metric bolts, the approximate equivalent is 10.9

http://thermosealinc.com/THERMO_RESOURCES/Bolt_Grade_Cross_Ref.pdf

Sept. 16, 2009, 5:53 p.m.

RFJason, that's a great point (And one I hadn't even thought about), does anyone know how I can find out the grade of the bolt (any kind of identifiers? it's a allen head). I'd rather have a frame that's out of commission for a week until I can get the bolt than one that gets destroyed now that they've started selling off the warranty parts.

Sept. 16, 2009, 6:09 p.m.

does anyone know how I can find out the grade of the bolt (any kind of identifiers? it's a allen head).

If you have the old bolt head, and it is a graded bolt you'll be able to get the number off the head, in the pic below it is a 12.9

On a bike, more than likely they've used 8.8 (about the equivalent of a grade 5 SAE bolt)

Sept. 16, 2009, 6:29 p.m.

I might have a couple of extra ones hanging around. PM me your email adress and I'll send you a picture to see if you think it's the one.

Sept. 17, 2009, 3:08 p.m.

Under normal conditions, a grade 8 bolt isnt exerting any more force than a lesser grade bolt.

Its only until the shock bottoms out that the bolt has the potential to do that kind of damage. Valid point though.

If you bottom your suspension on a regular basis, find out what the stock grade was and stick with it. But if you dont bottom your suspension often or very hard, a grade eight SHOULD be fine. But ya never know.

Sorry to derail the thread a bit without actually answering your question.

Bump!

If you are bottoming your shock out a lot, then the bolt shouldn't be your only worry. Spring rate and set up could be a problem as well.

Sept. 17, 2009, 9:45 p.m.

It's a (regressive?) rate bike, so the suspension gets softer as it sinks into travel. I don't have any bottom-out resistance on my shock (it's built as an AM bike, and I only had budget for a $75 float R at the time). I'm running nearly no sag and I still bottom out every ride, so I can't fix that without money (and if I had that kind of money I wouldn't be asking this question!).