Anyone ever use knock-off cassettes from Aliexpress - or anything else?

Oct. 13, 2020, 9:11 p.m.

Got my colored cable crimps the other day. Colours are vibrant and they are cable crimps. Got 100 for 3$

Can't find these things anywhere for a reasonable price. I think they are like 7$ for 10 on crc.

So far everything on ali has been pretty much as advertised so I ordered a spoke tension meter for 25$ shipped. Always wanted one but don't want to lay out the $ for one. If it turns out ok, maybe I'll try their 11 speed cassette?

Oct. 14, 2020, 7:23 a.m.

Posted by: Bad-Sean

Wish and Ali maxxis are legit. They source them from maxxis se asia. Btw tyres and shimano stuff cost nothing in se asia for obvious reasons....

Regarding the jerseys, I wish the counterfeit vendors would sort themselves out and make them in western sizes. I find asian sizing so unsuitable at 6'5". They have some comically laid out jerseys covered in the most random logos that I would use for the sheer humour.

Well I gave them a spin on the DJ bike before the rains hit. They were great. A guy mentioned that these tires weren't available in this country yet. I just gave him a sly smile ;)

Jan. 23, 2022, 5:32 p.m.

Took the plunge and bought a "VG Sports" cassette off Amazon (aka aliexpress). 67$ Here are some shots of it as compared to an XT. We will have to see how it lasts but as far as I can tell, the ramping etc looks pretty similar. 14g difference but that could be in the plastic thing to keep them together in the package. It will be interesting to see how this shifts/lasts. If it works reasonably well, I can see myself saving a ton on 12 speed cassettes for my wife's bikes - she will only use SRAM XO1 or XX! cassettes as she wants them light.

and the back of the el cheapo cassette.

Jan. 29, 2022, 3:01 p.m.

I bought ODI Elite Pro grips off Ali Express.  I didn't realize they were knock-offs until I put them on my bike...  I should have known that for $12 they weren't the real deal but even the packaging looked sooo legit...  It's like they copied 99% of the design, but all the magic is in the 1% they left out.

What's worse, once they knew they had a sucker on their hands they were bombarding my inbox so much (even after unsubscribing) that I had to block them.

I hope your purchase turns out better than mine.

Jan. 30, 2022, 5:53 a.m.

I bought a SRAM shifter clamp when I installed Shimano brakes.  It held the shifter in place for $5 instead of $25 and didn’t mark up my handlebar. 

Great success.

Jan. 30, 2022, 7:50 a.m.

Nice, I may group my shifter/dropper lever and brakes together at that price. Never can stomach like $60 in clamps so my bars look marginally tidier.

I got my dropper lever of of Amazon - $35, cartridge bearings, decent hardware - Great Success.  I’d appreciate a Paul lever but I don’t think these things need to be super sweet to work well.

Feb. 2, 2022, 3:55 a.m.

Not strictly a knock-off but very chinese and very cheap.  Kapvoe cycling glasses.  They are about £30 on Amazon, but can had for significantly less on ebay etc.

I bought 2 sets for my kids and they are well made and the kids like them.

Feb. 2, 2022, 7:32 a.m.

Bought two narrow wide chainrings on eBay. Snail brand I think.

Terrible. Make a lot of noise and feel awful.

Bought 2 Race Face rings this morning to replace them.

Feb. 2, 2022, 8:34 a.m.

Posted by: Ride.DMC

I bought ODI Elite Pro grips off Ali Express.  I didn't realize they were knock-offs until I put them on my bike...  I should have known that for $12 they weren't the real deal but even the packaging looked sooo legit...  It's like they copied 99% of the design, but all the magic is in the 1% they left out.

What's worse, once they knew they had a sucker on their hands they were bombarding my inbox so much (even after unsubscribing) that I had to block them.

I hope your purchase turns out better than mine.

I bought silicone grips for 1$ on aliexpress. You could push them on and take them off like a clamp on grip BUT THERE WERE NO CLAMPS!!!!

Aug. 29, 2022, 10:50 a.m.

Did anyone ordering stuff from AliExpress get stung with excessive import duty, tax, courier charges or delivery costs?

Im toying with getting a Magene radar/rear light for road bike riding (new competitor to Garmin Varia) which isn't on sale in Canada (yet?). 

Im not sure whether it would be counted as "electronics" or "bike parts" for import duty purposes...