Anyone ever use knock-off cassettes from Aliexpress - or anything else?

Sept. 2, 2020, 8:19 p.m.

Posted by: grambo

Posted by: RAHrider

Got my first Aliexpress delivery. Rapha knock off road kit.

Shorts fit a little funny. The grip elastic at the bottom is more what you would find on a pair of liners for your fox mtb shorts than high end road kit.

The jersey is OK. Fit is on the longer side, which I like. Can't tell you how frustrating it is to get XXL jersey that barely goes down to your belly button, this one is about right. The pockets sit a bit high and are a bit harder to get into than average. Quality is like a lower end castelli jersey. $35 with shipping for everything. Who is going to complain? Still waiting for the tools I ordered...

How tall/what do you weigh? Just trying to figure out the knock-off sizing... I wear XL in the "core" (cheaper/lighter) real Rapha... the Alli size charts don't seem to make sense. Just wondering if you sized up or not from "real" road kit?

I am 6'2" and 220lbs. I wear xxl in sugoi, castelli, ale and rapha.

Sept. 2, 2020, 8:46 p.m.

Showed up in 10 days.

Sept. 2, 2020, 10:58 p.m.

Sweet, thanks dudes, order placed for XL Rapha and the knock off POCs...

Sept. 3, 2020, 7:46 a.m.

Riding in full spandy? + POCs? Welcome to the MAMIL club

Sept. 3, 2020, 7:55 a.m.

... that "Ralvpha" stuff looks the most enticing of the bunch so far.

Sept. 3, 2020, 8:12 a.m.

Any update on how the knock-off cassettes are running? My commuter needs some love.

Sept. 3, 2020, 5:12 p.m.

I havent ordered a cassette yet. I was waiting to see how my bearing press looks first.

As for the Rapha stuff,don't get too excited it is 10 worse than you would expect for $35 but also no better.

How are the glasses?Do they pinch your head funny or get gooey where the rubher pads touch your skin?

Sept. 3, 2020, 6 p.m.

I've just ordered some Maxxis dirt jumping tires on WISH - similar knock off site - $50 all in. No confirmation of postage yet. Delivery time a month or so. I'm hoping they turn up before the end of the summer so I get to have a few spins on them.

Sept. 4, 2020, 2:43 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

I havent ordered a cassette yet. I was waiting to see how my bearing press looks first.

As for the Rapha stuff,don't get too excited it is 10 worse than you would expect for $35 but also no better.

How are the glasses?Do they pinch your head funny or get gooey where the rubher pads touch your skin?

The glasses haven't given me any trouble yet (after bending the arms to my head shape).

Sept. 7, 2020, 7:39 p.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

Damnit ain’t that the truth.

Sept. 21, 2020, 9:50 p.m.

got my silicone grips - $3. And my multi colour cable crimps $3.

Grips look OK but will have to see how they last. I do wonder if they are less dense than my esi. The cable crimps are perfect. Pretty colours. Seem fine.

Oct. 1, 2020, 12:50 p.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

And I have the COVID hazy IPA gut to match, total MAMIL!

So the fake POCs and Rapha arrived last week (3ish weeks shipping on each? Not bad). The fake POCs are great, no fit issue and I have a pretty huge dome, only have one ride on them, they did fog up pretty easily on a climb. I like the field of vision on these. For the price it's a no brainer.

The Rapha jersey is great, fit is pretty close to the real one in XL, maybe a bit smaller. The pockets are definitely sewn in too high, as pointed out by someone else in this thread, getting my phone out of the middle pocket while riding is a test of shoulder flexibility. The bibs are OK, they come up a few inches higher on my stomach than real bibs and the material seems thicker than real ones. They look a bit odd too, you can definitely tell they are fakes whereas the jersey is passable. For $35ish shipped? Another no brainer compared to what $350 for a set of real stuff? 10x the price? Will report back if there's any comfort issues but I figure I'll use this stuff on my 1-2h rides and use real stuff on anything longer.

Oct. 1, 2020, 1:26 p.m.

Always throw ANY amazon page through this (or install it into your browser bar ) : https://reviewmeta.com/

You'll still get what you pay for but at least you'll see if the reviews have been boosted/faked etc

Out of interest for the knock-off glasses, has anyone tried shatter testing on the lenses?

Last edited by: DanL on Oct. 1, 2020, 1:40 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 5, 2020, 2:03 p.m.

Posted by: Kieran

I've just ordered some Maxxis dirt jumping tires on WISH - similar knock off site - $50 all in. No confirmation of postage yet. Delivery time a month or so. I'm hoping they turn up before the end of the summer so I get to have a few spins on them.

These just turned up. Just over a month from ordering. Look and smell like legit Maxxis rubber. Will probably order again when not in a rush.

Oct. 6, 2020, 11:04 p.m.

Wish and Ali maxxis are legit. They source them from maxxis se asia. Btw tyres and shimano stuff cost nothing in se asia for obvious reasons....

Regarding the jerseys, I wish the counterfeit vendors would sort themselves out and make them in western sizes. I find asian sizing so unsuitable at 6'5". They have some comically laid out jerseys covered in the most random logos that I would use for the sheer humour.