Anyone ever use knock-off cassettes from Aliexpress - or anything else?

Aug. 14, 2020, 5:41 a.m.

I ordered something similar on amazon for $25. Came with 3 lenses, one clear, a dark, and a polarised. 

They actually work very well and are comfortable. Don’t have the polish of POC or the other big brands but for $25 I don’t care when they inevitably get banged up bike riding.

Aug. 15, 2020, 4:31 a.m.

Posted by: velocipedestrian

He said it was from the same factory, and the North Face guys just had someone on site doing QC while their order was made. When he left the factory kept sewing...

The fabrics seemed legit, but the seams were a bit shit.

Haha that's the classic fake sellers story. My Dad was suckered into buying me a jacket by them with the same story. 

Living in a warm and very dry part of the world it still served its purpose for a year until I took it on a fishing trip up north of the state. The first sign of rain and whatever they had sprayed on it washed away. Our battery packed it in so that was a nice wet 4 hours drifting until the other tender found us. At least it wasn't cold.

The moment I got home, I went and bought a proper warm weather breathable jacket. The moral of the story is, cheap chinese stuff only if it isn't critical. 

I hope the op doesn't need the cassette soon. Multiple things I ordered off aliexpress end of April still haven't arrived.

Aug. 15, 2020, 6:41 a.m.

I bought two 11speed 11-50t cassettes made by SUNSHNE. They have worked well this season.  The shifting isn't as smooth as original Shimano or Sunrace cassettes I have used in the past. On the cassette I have used the most this season the 3 & 4 cogs have worn quickly and now skip if i switch it to my bike with a newer chain. Assuming the aluminum they used is soft and cheap. They were only $100 CDN each.

After buying these cassettes and looking around a bit, I found a company on AliExpress called ZTTO that seems to have a bit better quality. They also make other bike parts that are similar to the big brands. I'm currently using their rotors that are similar to ice tech and am very pleased with them.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32964686346.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.162b37d62QYVLy&algo_pvid=fed81951-b3d1-40c8-a902-a93bf8ea9dea&algo_expid=fed81951-b3d1-40c8-a902-a93bf8ea9dea-0&btsid=0be3743b15974986756882807ea08b&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Aug. 15, 2020, 7:58 p.m.

The glasses I bought seem to have vanished, but these look functionally identical...

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/4001143543119.html?trace=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail&spm=a2g0n.store_home.allProducts_179812074.4001143543119

When I was originally looking there were heaps of sellers with variations on the same frame. I just went with whoever had the lens options I wanted and a OK rating from lots of buyers.

Aug. 15, 2020, 8:12 p.m.

I'm going to see how my purchases pan out - will post some pictures (before any of you get excited, no there will be no pictures of me modeling my lycra). But if things work out well I might give the ztto a go.

Aug. 15, 2020, 8:16 p.m.

Go sunrace.

Aug. 28, 2020, 7:54 p.m.

Got my first Aliexpress delivery. Rapha knock off road kit.

Shorts fit a little funny. The grip elastic at the bottom is more what you would find on a pair of liners for your fox mtb shorts than high end road kit.

The jersey is OK. Fit is on the longer side, which I like. Can't tell you how frustrating it is to get XXL jersey that barely goes down to your belly button, this one is about right. The pockets sit a bit high and are a bit harder to get into than average. Quality is like a lower end castelli jersey. $35 with shipping for everything. Who is going to complain? Still waiting for the tools I ordered...

Sept. 1, 2020, 12:08 p.m.

Received my POC knockoffs today from Amazon.

Have to say the lenses are pretty damn good for the price of 35 bux. 

I went out of my way to get some without the POC logo. They showed up with the POC logo.  These came with 2 lenses, a dark and polarized lighter tint. 

https://www.amazon.ca/Lorsoul-Polarized-Cycling-Sunglasses-Baseball/dp/B088RBRVF8

Sept. 1, 2020, 3:30 p.m.

That’s what I got but without the POC logo. 

Have been running well all summer on the gravel bike. Will put the clear lenses on soon for the darker rises.

Sept. 1, 2020, 4:45 p.m.

Posted by: Poz

That’s what I got but without the POC logo. 

Have been running well all summer on the gravel bike. Will put the clear lenses on soon for the darker rises.

Kinda noticed the strong smell of new plastic. Maybe need to air them out

Sept. 2, 2020, 10:48 a.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

I went out of my way to get some without the POC logo. They showed up with the POC logo.  These came with 2 lenses, a dark and polarized lighter tint. 

https://www.amazon.ca/Lorsoul-Polarized-Cycling-Sunglasses-Baseball/dp/B088RBRVF8

Does the frame strip in the centre affect field-of-view at all? I'm a goggles man when it comes to DH but looking for something for trail use, so wondering if this could be a bit annoying?

Sept. 2, 2020, 1:11 p.m.

Posted by: Kieran

Does the frame strip in the centre affect field-of-view at all? I'm a goggles man when it comes to DH but looking for something for trail use, so wondering if this could be a bit annoying?

No you don't notice it when looking forward.

Sept. 2, 2020, 2:17 p.m.

How long did they take to show up? Amazon saying "Oct 29 - Nov 30" as a delivery window.

Think I'll roll the rice on Rapha knock-offs. Retail for road kit is stupid expensive and I don't ride enough long rides to really need high end stuff. I wear XL on the real deal so will go XL on the fakes.

Sept. 2, 2020, 2:37 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Got my first Aliexpress delivery. Rapha knock off road kit.

Shorts fit a little funny. The grip elastic at the bottom is more what you would find on a pair of liners for your fox mtb shorts than high end road kit.

The jersey is OK. Fit is on the longer side, which I like. Can't tell you how frustrating it is to get XXL jersey that barely goes down to your belly button, this one is about right. The pockets sit a bit high and are a bit harder to get into than average. Quality is like a lower end castelli jersey. $35 with shipping for everything. Who is going to complain? Still waiting for the tools I ordered...

How tall/what do you weigh? Just trying to figure out the knock-off sizing... I wear XL in the "core" (cheaper/lighter) real Rapha... the Alli size charts don't seem to make sense. Just wondering if you sized up or not from "real" road kit?

Sept. 2, 2020, 3:22 p.m.

Posted by: Kieran

No you don't notice it when looking forward.

I notice it when looking around an intersection waiting for traffic. Never when riding on dirt. 

An extra bonus for me with price of my knock offs was feeling confident about heating and bending the arms to get a more hooked shape behind my ears. Clamped a soldering iron in the vise and did lots of gentle bending.