Anyone carry an emergency rescue beacon?

July 14, 2022, 7:52 a.m.

Anyone carrying an emergency rescue beacon when they're out riding? We have cell coverage most places on the shore, but many of us ride where there's no service. I don't have one, but am considering getting one to have with me during backcountry activities. There seems to be a huge range of products with different features and also different pay structures. The ability to send texts to contact people seems pretty useful.

Anyone have any experience they could share?

Old and slow

July 14, 2022, 8:25 a.m.

I have the Garmin inReach Mini and I'll take it with me if I am in a slightly more remote area (especially if riding solo). To be completely honest, I don't have a lot of experience using it despite owning it for a couple years. When I initially bought it I sent test messages just to see how it worked but aside from that I just carry it on me and never really have to turn it on. I'll occassionally use it to send my wife GPS points if I am in an area that I am not very familiar with.

One thing I noticed is that it is often challenging to get a signal when in tree cover. Sometimes I would send a test message and stick the thing in my pocket and only 30 mins later did the message actually go through. It's not always like that but just making the point that it doesn't automatically have signal when you might expect it to. I would assume that's common amongst most of these types of devices though and not necessarily a specific problem with this model. They've since come out with a Garmin inReach mini 2 and I think one of the main upgrades is a stronger signal. 

Overall, I am glad that I bought it because it gives me piece of mind and is essentially an insurance policy. I'll throw it in my pocket/bag when I am biking, skiing, hiking, camping, etc. in the off chance I'll need it. I think the main benefit for me is that I will be willing to explore a bit further into the wilderness than I otherwise would. 

You do have to pay a monthly subscription though - I have the basic plan and I think it's like $17/month.

July 14, 2022, 8:55 a.m.

I carry this on any trips [foot/bike] where I'll be out of cell service for any length of time. It's a SOS beacon and I can send/rec text messages/emails when it's not a true SOS, but I want to get some help or change plans. There is a smaller/newer version of this that I would get if buying new, but this 9 year old unit is going strong so I keep using it. I have never sent a SOS, but I have used the text msg/email function a bunch. It's very nice to have. Cost for service is low if you mostly use it as a SOS device. Cost for the device isn't crazy when you factor in how it could affect your life/health in an emergency. As noted mine is pretty old and it's robust enough to take on adventures without any damage.

Highly recommended for solo travel in particular outside of cell service. I like to head out on solo adventures a lot so it was a no brainer for me.

My review from 2013. No issues since then. ---> https://vikapproved.wordpress.com/2013/10/02/delorme-inreach-se-review/

Last edited by: Vikb on July 14, 2022, 9:04 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
July 14, 2022, 10:28 a.m.

I went for the Zoleo - great price, pause subscription whenever I want, very straightforwards usage for semi-casual and upwards. Customer support has been nothing short of excellent when I was trying to set it up.
It's also tiny and packs easily 

It does rely on you having a cell phone to text etc, but not for SOS or "I'm here" check ins but I always carry my phone and have plenty of backup power if I'm out on a multi day, but yes, it's a possible point of failure.

Last edited by: DanL on July 14, 2022, 10:37 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 14, 2022, 11:39 a.m.

I carry an inReach Mini for adventure/ultra endurance riding. Mostly for peace of mind, some events it's required. I also pay for the SAR insurance, after I saw a guy (during a non-remote, non-technical gravel ride) fracture his skull and have to get airlifted to a hospital.

July 14, 2022, noon

Posted by: TristanC

I also pay for the SAR insurance, after I saw a guy (during a non-remote, non-technical gravel ride) fracture his skull and have to get airlifted to a hospital.

What does the SAR insurance cover in BC that's not [mostly] covered already. AFAIK the actual SAR process is free and ambulance/air ambulance is under $100 if you are covered by MSP.

July 15, 2022, 6:39 a.m.

I'm also using a Zoleo. They were on sale for 199$ last year and since I mostly ride alone in an area without cell coverage (I know, I know, but I don't have available riding friends!), I thought it would be a good idea. It was the cheapest option for a just-in-case use, especially since it's been on pause for the last 9 months.

July 15, 2022, 9:01 a.m.

Thanks all. Sounds like the Zoleo and Inreach are worth checking out.

July 15, 2022, 9:05 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Posted by: TristanC

I also pay for the SAR insurance, after I saw a guy (during a non-remote, non-technical gravel ride) fracture his skull and have to get airlifted to a hospital.

What does the SAR insurance cover in BC that's not [mostly] covered already. AFAIK the actual SAR process is free and ambulance/air ambulance is under $100 if you are covered by MSP.

IDK, but when I was in the ER a lady came in who wasn't a Canadian resident and they charged her $1100 before they would even check her in.   Something to think about if you aren't a resident.  Make sure you get travel insurance!

July 15, 2022, 9:45 a.m.

Posted by: skooks

IDK, but when I was in the ER a lady came in who wasn't a Canadian resident and they charged her $1100 before they would even check her in.   Something to think about if you aren't a resident.  Make sure you get travel insurance!

You want travel insurance if you are in Canada, but outside of BC. Lots of important services you might want/need are not covered just because you have MSP in BC.

July 15, 2022, 9:54 a.m.

I also have a Garmin Inreach.  Most of my cycling is solo and I often ride and camp in places without cell coverage.  So I carry it if riding remote/tech terrain and, if out of cell range, also use it to ping my spouse at the end of the day so she knows that am done and safe and doesnt have to worry.  As mentioned above, the messages are not instantaneous like cell texts - its common to take 10-15 min to "go thru".  I've never actually "needed" it, but I think its a worthwhile device.

July 15, 2022, 11:32 a.m.

This was another type that I was considering but it got sideswiped by the great shortages of the last 3 years. Same idea as the Zoleo and backed by a name I can respect, Jeremy Jones - https://somewearlabs.com/

July 15, 2022, 8:12 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Posted by: skooks

You want travel insurance if you are in Canada, but outside of BC. Lots of important services you might want/need are not covered just because you have MSP in BC.

Ontario doesn't cover Ambulances even if Ontario resident. You get a bill for a $100. Really a kick in the head when your the victim of a serious crime and harm.

July 16, 2022, 5:51 a.m.

Posted by: Endurimil

Ontario doesn't cover Ambulances even if Ontario resident. You get a bill for a $100. Really a kick in the head when your the victim of a serious crime and harm.

It's $80 in BC, but that includes wheels or air ambulance. Seems like a pretty modest charge for an expensive service. Just enough to reduce the likelihood of people calling for ambulances when they don't need them.

July 16, 2022, 9:27 a.m.

A major injury really points out where all the weird holes in coverage are. 

When I broke my back, the ambulance was covered, as was all my treatment in the hospital, including dental if I complained enough (which I didn’t). Once I was out, the brace I needed to walk wasn’t covered in any way, my dental work was out of pocket, there was no financial assistance whatsoever because I was in school, all rehab work and any individual psychological counseling was out of pocket as well. I did have a big handful of highly addictive painkillers though so I pretty quickly got an understanding of how easy it is to become a homeless opioid addict from one injury.