Anybody use the Yakima King Joe 3?

June 2, 2007, 7:41 p.m.

Heyas,

Anybody out there ever use a the Yakima King Joe 3?

http://www.yakima.com/Product.aspx?id=107

More specifically has anybody used it with a Norco Shore (or similar)? I'm just wondering if I'm going to run into trouble with the shape of the bike.

TIA!

June 3, 2007, 12:03 a.m.

Duffman has one for his 05 A-line. Seems to work good. Just have to get creative.

Sober

June 3, 2007, 12:12 a.m.

Yes, it dented my WRX tailgate. I returned it the next day.

June 3, 2007, 9:11 a.m.

Yes, it dented my WRX tailgate. I returned it the next day.

The rack or the bike that was on it? What are you using now?

Anbody else?

June 3, 2007, 12:24 p.m.

I have one. While I think that it is definitely one of the best rear trunk racks, it is still a rear trunk rack; There are risks of damaging your car, sketchyness with bike fit (my fork stanchion always wants to line up with some sharp object), and it gets a little tedious to install every time you want to ride.

Roof and hitch racks are a better choice, but if you must use a trunk rack, this is a good option. Saris bones trunk racks are decent as well.

intelligent designer jeans
cornichons > dills

June 3, 2007, 8:29 p.m.

What nom4d said. Wait and save for something else…

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

June 3, 2007, 10:06 p.m.

What nom4d said. Wait and save for something else…

Sadly I don't have time to wait. Trunk rack is half the price of hitch, install and rack. I want to go out and ride this summer. I have a new family so going out and blowing cash on a bike rack is not an option for me (budget spent on bike).

Thanks for the input so far!

June 4, 2007, 10:35 a.m.

Yakima does fits for it's Trunk Racks, you can look up your vehicle on their site, www.yakima.com and see if it is compatable with your car. They would probably recomend a Top Tube Adaptor for a bike like that, but they can be rigged through the tire or under the down-tube and under the seat stay. My buddy has the model down, Super Joe and he puts on his 04 Team Shore and an 02 Shore, but it is far easier with the Top Tube Adaptor.

June 4, 2007, 12:49 p.m.

Yakima does fits for it's Trunk Racks, you can look up your vehicle on their site, www.yakima.com and see if it is compatable with your car. They would probably recomend a Top Tube Adaptor for a bike like that, but they can be rigged through the tire or under the down-tube and under the seat stay. My buddy has the model down, Super Joe and he puts on his 04 Team Shore and an 02 Shore, but it is far easier with the Top Tube Adaptor.

Thanks for the feedback. I actually went down to a local dealer to test the fit. It fits over my factory spoiler quite nicely. I haven't tried it with the bike yet as I need it to pick up my bike this weekend :P

June 9, 2007, 4:08 p.m.

You can fit the bike on the rack. If you do it wrong, it will stick out 3 feet from the passenger side of the car, do it right it will center. BUT, as buddy said, they are not made for big bikes. You WILL damage your car. If you're lucky it will only be scratching. Strap racks are made for 30lbs bikes or LESS, only reccomended for short trips, and in-frequant useage. Roof or hitch only for your rigs guys.

June 9, 2007, 9:13 p.m.

You can fit the bike on the rack. If you do it wrong, it will stick out 3 feet from the passenger side of the car, do it right it will center. BUT, as buddy said, they are not made for big bikes. You WILL damage your car. If you're lucky it will only be scratching. Strap racks are made for 30lbs bikes or LESS, only reccomended for short trips, and in-frequant useage. Roof or hitch only for your rigs guys.

Picked up a Stealth B3. Seems to be just fine.

June 11, 2007, 1:17 p.m.

Make sure that all straps are super tight at all times. They loosen up while driving. Also put the bikes as close to the car as you can. And if it does bend your trunk or hatch, make sure to tell the insurance company that your bike weighs less then 35 lbs (or 30, check the manual for weight restrictions)

also stay off any roads that could be considered "off roads". Not only do bumps put you more at risk for stuff, but you won't be covered by any insurance, or liability's if you're on the "off road".

happy trials man.

June 11, 2007, 7:01 p.m.

Make sure that all straps are super tight at all times. They loosen up while driving. Also put the bikes as close to the car as you can. And if it does bend your trunk or hatch, make sure to tell the insurance company that your bike weighs less then 35 lbs (or 30, check the manual for weight restrictions)

also stay off any roads that could be considered "off roads". Not only do bumps put you more at risk for stuff, but you won't be covered by any insurance, or liability's if you're on the "off road".

happy trials man.

Thanks for the tips man! :clap: