Any suggestions for an upper guide that works with a 30t NW chainring?

April 12, 2015, 1:34 p.m.

I thought the whole point of a narrow wide was to eliminate the need for guides and tensioners?

It is, but then you see the bike set-ups at enduro races where nearly everyone is using a guide as well, and you begin to wonder…

April 12, 2015, 1:49 p.m.

It is, but then you see the bike set-ups at enduro races where nearly everyone is using a guide as well, and you begin to wonder…

That's only for racing… you can't afford to drop a chain can you? However, in reality for us mere mortals the N/W chainring with clutch derailleur is all 95% of us require. No dropped chains in 2+ years on my setup.

April 12, 2015, 1:59 p.m.

Before I got a wide narrow ring I experimented with a 32 Chromag DH ring and a clutch dérailleur. I used an MRP top guide but still dropped the chain I think off the bottom of the ring because I pedal backwards to get might right leg down for left corners. Sometimes the chain got pretty jammed when that happened whereas with no guide nothing jams. Since I went full XX1 and Race Face NW rings I've dropped the chain once. On an uphill for no obvious reason. Maybe a stick in the works? I recommend no guide and only if chain drops become common place for you do you get one.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

April 12, 2015, 2:48 p.m.

I think most of the chain retaining abilities come from the clutch rather than the ring. If you are using an upper guide, that would open up the option of not having a n/w ring and just using a regular one.

I am using an E13 XCX+ on a 32t ring and its been great. No chain rub and there is room for a 30t.

April 12, 2015, 5:48 p.m.

Thanks again for the info folks. I just got back from a ride with a buddy who has been running a 32t N/W with no guide (or bash) for a few months and he hasn't dropped a chain yet, so I think I'll see how I get on with just a bash ring.

April 12, 2015, 8:52 p.m.

Narrow wide works pretty well until it doesn't. If you are racing you need at least a top guide. If you are casually cruising in woods you can do without.

April 12, 2015, 11:53 p.m.

Blackspire TrailX Guide.

Taco bash and top guide dealio.

Mmmmm tacos

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

April 14, 2015, 8:53 a.m.

It's a OneUp, with a clutch derailleur. I'm hoping I don't need a guide and i'm going to try it without and see what happens, but my internet sleuthing suggests that it's a good idea if you're going to be riding rougher stuff (the Shore) reasonably* quickly.

*Or moderately quickly, but like a hack…

Or when it wears a bit.

I'm on the same set up, no guide. Never dropped a chain. I don't think you will need a guide (or a bash ring) to clutter up all of the beautiful de-cluttering the 1x setups provide.