Any suggestions for a new rain jacket?

Jan. 1, 2015, 9:52 p.m.

It is __ that a high end USA brand (Acre/Mission Workshop) that makes most of their product (packs) in house in the USA has their wool and waterproof jackets made here in Vancouver, but the Vancouver brands don't (with the exception of Arc'Teryx' highest price points?).

The top end Mission Workshop Neo-Shell Jacket is ~ the same price as the Gore Pro offerings from Arc'Teryx and 7Mesh.

It is impressive how many people Arc'Teryx employs in North Vancouver (no idea how big 7Mesh are), but it would be extra amazing if they were still producing the majority of their gear here too (I would be interested to know what % of their packs and jackets are still made here).

Very nice. Looking forward to checking it out in person.

Vancouver does not have the Production capacity to support Apparel companies that do larger volume. Finding tech experts to make patterns and run sewing machines locally is a huge problem.

I love companies like Mission and Kitsbow, but their factory orders are quite small, so fulfilment is possible here. If there plan is to grow, they will have to move offshore too.

As comsumers, we killed local manufacturing.

Jan. 2, 2015, 12:36 p.m.

- Neoshell vs. Gore Pro: what's it mean for on and off the bike?

In terms of waterproofness, Neoshell is rated at about 10000mm and Gore is somewhere around 30000mm. On a 1-2 hour ride in light drizzle or under the forest canopy, 10000mm would be fine. If you're working on trails all day in horrendous rain, take the Gore.

Breathability is obviously important too but its tough to compare numbers on garments with various configurations of vents and pit zips.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Jan. 2, 2015, 8:22 p.m.

How much damage is that Resistance Jacket going to do to my CC Statement?
I take it the model is a chick? Hoping the dudes cut is more Euro trash roadie fit?

It's $275 cdn. It's a slim cut to reduce wind flap but also to pack down as small as possible. The model is my wife.

"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture"

Jan. 2, 2015, 10:37 p.m.

Vancouver does not have the Production capacity to support Apparel companies that do larger volume. Finding tech experts to make patterns and run sewing machines locally is a huge problem.

I love companies like Mission and Kitsbow, but their factory orders are quite small, so fulfilment is possible here. If there plan is to grow, they will have to move offshore too.

Fair enough, but the branding is so local that it leaves bad taste when we see more established companies in SF making it work here (at same pricepoint).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NSMBA member.

Jan. 3, 2015, 2:59 a.m.

Fair enough… But,

Let's say Mission/Acre, or another brand, wants to grow at a reasonable pace and maintain domestic manufacturing, it isn't like these are black arts that people can't be trained/apprenticed to do?

We can train someone to move to Nothern Alberta and weld/etc, as an apprentice, in ~ 6months? If local manufacturers needed to upsize to do higher quantities how long does it take to train somone to competently cut textiles to patern and do the more basic stitches? (I.E. apprentice at a trade).

In exchange for, undoubtedly, higher up front manufacturing costs companies could do smaller runs, maintain lower inventory, and have less risk of carrying over/clearing out unpopular items/colours? Having spent a lot of time in retail I think a lot of companies fail to see how much extensive, regular, clearouts can erode the value of their brand.

It's funny/sad how long Sugoi maintained their manufacturing capability in Vancouver - when everyone was outsourcing - and then shut it down just as where something is made started to be a factor in more peoples purchasing decisions? Presumably some of that work force is still living in Vancouver and of working age (I.E. not dead yet)?

Sounds like Neoshell is a good compromise for our, generally, warmer climate? Not as waterproof but less of a monsoon inside the jacket for us sweaty dudes?

Mission also had sort-of pit-zips (inner arm zips).

Fair enough, but the branding is so local that it leaves bad taste when we see more established companies in SF making it work here (at same pricepoint).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me it's usually that I have to try and decide how much more I'm willing to pay to get an equivalent domestic product… It's confusing when (I only need one jacket, so the size of product run doesn't affect me) there seems to no penalty for something that is sewn locally?

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Jan. 3, 2015, 2:53 p.m.

I've been through 3 rain shells in 4 months of cycle touring this year. There was a period where we were rained on for 50 of 60 days. That's 4-8hrs a day of cycling and getting wet. At this point I am seriously considering buying a $500 jacket, and whether it works or not I'm likely to say it's "the best ever" So which am I getting??

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

Jan. 3, 2015, 7:40 p.m.

@drewm.

Unless you plan on filling that factory with immigrant labour, you will not find many people to apprentice. Skilled labour market is extremely tight. I only been in a handful of factories in Canada, but from what I have seen, there are not a lot of staff under 40.

The costs for a company to set it up locally makes it prohibitive. Setting up in China is not super easy either…

Most apparel companies minimal growth is not about lack of sales, but the inability to order/ pay for mass amounts of product from the factories. Adding the cost of setting up manufacturing themselves would be impossible.

That being said, I'm in San Fran next week. I'm going with an Acre Orion for my commuter jacket.

Jan. 4, 2015, 12:54 a.m.

Patagonia Super cell jacket. super light, minimalist design in paclite. love paclite, very comfortable and quiet.

Jan. 4, 2015, 12:24 p.m.

The mec hydrofoil does the trick. Nice hood and pit zips. The one pictured on there site is likely the tall fitting one, its a nice shape.

Jan. 5, 2015, 1:05 p.m.

I've been through 3 rain shells in 4 months of cycle touring this year. There was a period where we were rained on for 50 of 60 days. That's 4-8hrs a day of cycling and getting wet. At this point I am seriously considering buying a $500 jacket, and whether it works or not I'm likely to say it's "the best ever" So which am I getting??

probably the 7 mesh. But it kinda depends on how the other 3 shells 'failed' - ie leaked, ripped, not breathable enough etc…

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

April 28, 2015, 9:18 p.m.

NSMBA member.

April 28, 2015, 11:56 p.m.

^Huh?
No seriously. I had a few Tees from them and they were most definetly from out of country

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

April 29, 2015, 8:04 a.m.

^Huh?
No seriously. I had a few Tees from them and they were most definetly from out of country

Looks like you hit the 40% of their clothes that are made overseas.

April 29, 2015, 12:15 p.m.

Looks like you hit the 40% of their clothes that are made overseas.

Ha. I haven't bought anything from them now that they switched to Westcoast Weird or whatever they are trying for. Maybe it seems like a Canadiania version of Patagucchi

Interestingly enough there is little info on where or by who the Sitka surfboards are currently made. Seems weird as two of the biggest names in Canadian surf: DeVries and Cohen are running Sitka logos on their boards.
A few surfboards ago I went with a 7S over a Brazo built Sitka board. Since then I've been on Cali boards: FCD and HPD. Was going to pick up anouther HPD or a Mayhem or CI but the exchange rate sucks right now and I like what Aftanas is doing out in Tuff City more so now that he has a CNC machine for blanks.

Seems like a losing battle trying to manufacture clothing in one of the most expensive housing markets in the world though.

Disclaimer*** I have overpaid for a few Made in the USA Pladra flannel shirts

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.