Any suggestions for a new rain jacket?

Dec. 18, 2014, 5:31 p.m.

I'm looking for a new jacket for city commuting/wet weather riding.

Needs to be Waterproof/Breathable and ideally will have pit zips and a hood that fits over a bucket.

My budget is around 200$

I was looking at the raceface chute, I really havent seen much else around.

Dec. 18, 2014, 7:13 p.m.

I'm looking for a new jacket for city commuting/wet weather riding.

Needs to be Waterproof/Breathable and ideally will have pit zips and a hood that fits over a bucket.

My budget is around 200$

I was looking at the raceface chute, I really havent seen much else around.

The Chute I had had issues. Waist cord blew but it was repaired free. But the material is crappy. No DWR to speak of. I recommend the Sugoi RSX neo. Might be a bit pricy for you though at $300. Doesn't seem to need pit zips. There's an Acre neo shell jacket too but way more money. Other options lots of riders do is a simpler ski or hiking type jacket. A bit baggy for some though. Really when it comes to waterproof breathable, you can't beat goretex or neo shell. Event is good too. No name waterproof breathable is generally Shite. Avoid. The savings aren't worth it.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Dec. 18, 2014, 7:28 p.m.

i have a Bontrager not sure what model but it was around $280ish with taxes i bought it a size or two bigger , fits my pads , and allows room for extra layers of cloths , works well in windy cold conditions as well. mine does not have a hood , but does have zippers in the arm pits , it,s a nice jacket that keeps you dry and warm without feeling like its a sauna suit on long climbs .

http://www.bontrager.com/model/11066

not the jacket i have but it has a hood

#northsidetrailbuilders

Dec. 18, 2014, 8:55 p.m.

My wife got me this one a couple years ago.

https://www.gore-tex.com/product/gore-bike-wear-fusion-20-gore-tex-jacket/1360864719494/

I was pretty skeptical at first with no pit-zips, pockets, etc. But it works awesome. It's a pretty tight fit, so I'm not able to fit pads underneath (except the super thin XC jobbies). But, since it's tighter, it seems to breathe a little better.

Arc teryx makes a few really nice riding jackets too. But they are in the $400-500 range…

Mike

Dec. 18, 2014, 9:02 p.m.

7mesh!

All the editors have one now!

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Dec. 18, 2014, 9:27 p.m.

http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=161082

7mesh!

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

Dec. 19, 2014, 7:03 a.m.

I just picked up the Gore Alp X jacket and it fits great and is Goretex. Under $200 for that is hard to beat, Large fit me great and I am 6' 185lbs.

Dec. 19, 2014, 9:18 a.m.

Everytime this thread comes up, I just repeat the same thing. Outdoor Research Helium for $150-$200 depending where you buy it. Pertex is super light-weight and breathable. There's a reason Gore has been trying as hard as they can to keep it out of North America.

With that being said I sweat like dog, so I build up moister in any jacket. A light weight (or heavy depending on the temp) long-sleeve merino base layer takes away any discomfort. I don't even miss pit-zips.

Dec. 19, 2014, 1:07 p.m.

^^ MEC version of that, with pit zips. seems like a good deal:

http://www.mec.ca/product/5034-289/mec-hydrofoil-jacket-mens/?Ns=p_min_sale_price[HTML_REMOVED]h=10+50020+50021+50089+51004[HTML_REMOVED]f=10+50021+50089+51004

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Dec. 19, 2014, 1:43 p.m.

That Hydrofoil jacket looks good. Looks like an athletic cut too.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Dec. 19, 2014, 2:34 p.m.

Everytime this thread comes up, I just repeat the same thing. Outdoor Research Helium for $150-$200 depending where you buy it. Pertex is super light-weight and breathable. There's a reason Gore has been trying as hard as they can to keep it out of North America.

With that being said I sweat like dog, so I build up moister in any jacket. A light weight (or heavy depending on the temp) long-sleeve merino base layer takes away any discomfort. I don't even miss pit-zips.

so… you've checked the OR, and like it so far?

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Dec. 19, 2014, 3:36 p.m.

so… you've checked the OR, and like it so far?

I see what you did there

Dec. 20, 2014, 4:19 p.m.

I went for a ride today wearing a jacket that wasn't yellow and made by people south of Whistler

Not sure how I lived to write about this…

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Dec. 20, 2014, 6:14 p.m.

go with a quality known brand from a reputable retailer that you can return it to if you don't like it in the field. the OR Helium would be a top contender in my mind as would be my current basic rain jacket, the Patagonia Torrentshell. comes in a couple of variants, but the basic one has pit zips and works great. yes it's crinkly and light-ish, not ultralight, but for the price it's excellent. beads rain well, looks pretty good, decent pockets, pit zips, full featured. great jacket. i don't like riding in full rain so i don't use it that way. i go with water repellant wind breakers for wet riding and avoid full downpours where possible. just ain't fun in my books…

Dec. 21, 2014, 12:35 a.m.

7mesh!

where is their gear being sold?

"You know what's wrong with Vancouver? You can't pee off of your own balcony without getting in trouble"
- Phil Gordon