Any ridden new Schwalbe Addix soft or super soft compound?

Nov. 26, 2017, 5:03 p.m.

Old time poster re-emerging here. I need new tires for my Reign and these new Addix compounds from Schwalbe have me intrigued.

Looking for input from people who have ridden them in local conditions though.

I'm thinking I'd try Magic Mary front in the Ultra Soft Addix Compound, undecided on best rear tire to pair it with though.

The tires they'd be replacing are WTB Viligant front and Trail Boss rear, overall I was happy with this combo but game to try something a little more grippy, especially for winter conditions.

The bike originally came with Hans Dampf's front and rear which were awful but I attribute that to the cheap OEM compound and thin casings, so willing to give Schwable another try if these other compounds are decent.

Back in the 26" days I rode nothing but Maxxis DHFs front+rear in the 3C compound which I also liked, but wasn't doing much climbing then.

Anyways, hoping you guys have some input on what to buy. A set of tires lasts me a year these days (need to ride more!) so not too practical to experiment.

Thanks!

Last edited by: Jeff-M on Nov. 26, 2017, 5:04 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 26, 2017, 7:40 p.m.

Magic Mary front, Nobby Nic rear.  If its for winter you could go MM front and back.  I havent tried the Addix compound, but run Trailstar front and Pacestar rear.  Just put the slightly less grippy/longer lasting compound on the rear tire.

Nov. 26, 2017, 9:15 p.m.

I am considering the WTB vigilante. How did you like that tire?

Thread killer

Last edited by: Stuminator on Nov. 26, 2017, 9:15 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 27, 2017, 12:51 p.m.

The addix compounds are better than the old ones, especially in cold temperatures they don’t harden as much. They last longer, knobs don’t rip out as easily. I can’t say that I notice a difference in rolling resistance. But maybe I just don’t feel it. Substantial improvement of an already great lineup.

The e13 trsr offers even more cornering grip though. Impressive tire! They offer a bit less puncture resistance, but they strike a great balance all around, at least if you’re using some sort of tire insert or Procore. 

Only downside is getting your hands on the e13. They are not available over here in Europe. Don’t know what’s going on. And if they are, they are twice as much as an Addix Schwalbe...

Nov. 28, 2017, 9:25 p.m.

Thanks for the feedback. Anyone else?

Nov. 28, 2017, 9:36 p.m.

Posted by: Stuminator

I am considering the WTB vigilante. How did you like that tire?

Overall I like it but think it is best suited as a front tire. I started out with the Vigilante front and rear. Slow rolling rear and I wore out the centre nobs pretty quick. Swapped to the Trail Boss rear on the second go around, much better rolling and increased durability. Good combo for summer but I think grip could be better on wet, greasy wood + rocks, hence thinking I'll try out a softer tire this time around. As mentioned before someone who has ridden a greater variety of modern tires probably has

I should mentioned that all of my WTB tires have leaked Stan's sealant through the sidewalls to some degree. Always minor but not exactly awesome either. Is this a common issue with other brands?

Last edited by: Jeff-M on Nov. 28, 2017, 9:38 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 29, 2017, 8:52 p.m.

Posted by: Znarf

The e13 trsr offers even more cornering grip though.

Got one of these on the way. Will take the place of a MM Trailstar on front which I'll put on the back.

Dec. 10, 2017, 3:36 p.m.

So, about those Addix MM, same large volume as say, a Trailstar MM?

From Schwalbe...

Yes the (final) size will be exactly the same. However the newly installed tires may take a few days to fully ‘stretch’ out to the same size as your old tires, ie: they’ll install at 2.2’’ wide, stretch out to 2.3’’ within a couple of hours and then finish off at 2.35-2.4’’ within a couple of days.

Last edited by: tungsten on Dec. 12, 2017, 7:44 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Dec. 17, 2017, 11:35 a.m.

Well after procrastinating a couple of weeks (and a few more rides sliding around on my current tires), I finally decided and pulled the trigger on a set of tires.

I went with a pair of Magic Mary's 2.35" Evo Addix UltraSoft SnakeSkin Super Gravity  (what a mouthful, and honestly Maxxis is just as bad now).

Planning to run them front and rear through spring and probably swap to a faster rolling rear tire when summer rolls around (old WTB Trail Boss back on or buy something new).

Hoping for massive levels of grip and expecting lots of rolling resistance! We shall see.

Dec. 17, 2017, 11:03 p.m.

That combination will provide lots of traction :)

And don’t get angry when you air them up for the first time. Tungsten is right. They are narrower than last years Magic Mary before the first ride. They become considerably wider after a couple of rides. They’ll offer the same volume. Grip also increases after a couple of rides.

A little bit of advice though: Keep in mind that soft compounds offer less grip in really cold temperatures. If it’s below zero they’ll still be very rideable, but not super tacky. Just don’t be disheartened on your first ride. Those tires are great!

Dec. 18, 2017, 1 p.m.

Posted by: Znarf

They become considerably wider after a couple of rides. T

I pumped mine up to 60psi and just let it set there by the fireplace for a few days.......

Dec. 18, 2017, 8:10 p.m.

Posted by: JBV

no real world experience, sorry. was looking closely at the MM in the LBS on Saturday and the addix soft compound is very soft. the very soft compound (was on super gravity casing) was whoa nelly soft. gooey glooey.

minion DHF comes in 'maxx terra' which is impressively soft but balanced and reasonably durable. same tire also comes (uncommon though) in 'maxx gripp' which is at least as soft and grippy as addix soft.

JBV, I think you nailed it with this one. I’m running a MM Soft up front and a NN Trailstar out back. I have loads of experience with many Maxxis tires and, by trail feel, the Maxx Grip is softer than the Schwalbe Soft while the Maxx Terra lies between Soft and Trailstar.

Jan. 3, 2018, 1:51 a.m.

Guys some questions:

--how is the addix soft magic mary compared to the trailstar?

--Also, which is a better allrounder tyre: magic mary soft or dhf maxterra?

--better allrounder rear tyre: aggressor or nobby nic?

Last edited by: graviton on Jan. 3, 2018, 1:56 a.m., edited 3 times in total.
Jan. 3, 2018, 3:25 p.m.

I want a magic mary ultra soft in the lighter (800 something grams) snakeskin casing (because I'm small and can get away with light casings) but doesn't look like it exists? On the other hand, maxxis does maxx grip dhf in exo casing

Last edited by: Kevin26 on Jan. 3, 2018, 3:31 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Jan. 3, 2018, 8:26 p.m.

Posted by: graviton

Guys some questions:

--how is the addix soft magic mary compared to the trailstar?

--Also, which is a better allrounder tyre: magic mary soft or dhf maxterra?

--better allrounder rear tyre: aggressor or nobby nic?

I find my Aggressor just okay as a winter tear tire. It rolls alright but can clog up a bit on softer trail surfaces, and it’s dual compound so, while it wears well, it can be a bit exciting on wet roots.

On my other bike, I have a dual compound High Roller 2. I was expecting it to be an anchor but it rolls surprisingly well, not noticeably worse than the Aggressor. The open tread pattern clears mud/slop much better. It’s the same rubber compound as the Aggressor so it isn’t much better on wet roots and rocks. I’d try the softer 3C version, but I don’t know how much slower it would be, and those thin knobs might wear quickly.

Last edited by: D_C_ on Jan. 3, 2018, 8:27 p.m., edited 1 time in total.