Any local [BC!] bike shops with on-line component prices?

July 17, 2007, 11:48 p.m.

I need to work out the replacement cost of a couple of bikes for insurance purposes. I've got the frame prices but can't find any BC (or Canadian!) shop which lists component prices. Any suggestions?

Failing that, can someone let me know the prices of:

Fox 36R fork
Fox Float 100R fork
Shimano drivetrain [shifters, derailleurs, cranks, cassette]
Hope Hubs
Mavix 717 [HTML_REMOVED] 729 rims
Magura Louise FR disc brakes
Thomson seatpost
Chris King headset
FSA Orbit headset

I guess the insurance company will want full retail prices to base the insurance quote on.
I know it's fairly easy to get US prices but I've been bitten for outrageous brokeage fees by UPS, so want to keep it local…

July 18, 2007, 5:28 a.m.

You sound like a bike thief that is trying to find out what the bike parts that he has stolen are worth.

Besides that I am going to give you the standard answer :announce: "GO TO YOUR LBS". If your story is true you will have to buy your bike from them again anyways, so they would be more then happy to help you work out a quote.

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.

July 18, 2007, 8:22 a.m.

You don't need to list the individual prices of the parts of the bike for insurance. You just give them the amount that you think it's worth and list the components. They will also probably want a couple pictures too.
After that, you simply pay by the amount that you have insured. It's usually around $1.40 to $1.75 or so for every $100. If you tell them that the bike is worth $1000, expect to pay about $14-$17.50 per year to insure it. That price assumes that you already have a home-owner policy and that you are adding a ryder. If not, then you can expect to pay a lot more.

Also, you should know how much the bike is worth (ballpark) without going online to find individual part prices.

We're riding bicycles!!!

For sale: 5th element spring 425 lbs from a 2003 Bullit $40 shipping incl. PM me.

July 18, 2007, 10:31 a.m.

Thanks Slamigo but I think your figures are a bit off :(

I've been quoted 3% of full replacement cost (we must pay more for insurance out here in BC!). The problem is, both bikes are high-end custom builds [frame only costs are ~ CDN$2500+] and bought when I lived in the UK. The insurance company have stated that I need to establish the replacement cost - not what I think it's "worth" and I've read on this very forum of an incident when an insurance company failed to pay out to someone
who was un-intentionally under-insured..

NB Heathen, I had already tried calling my LBS, who stated they couldn't get me a price for a Shimano XT crankset as they don't stock them (!!!!!). At that point, I decided my LBS are sh*te (there are several other reasons - such as forgetting to order my girlfriends bike, which meant she missed getting her birthday present on time…). And I don't have time to wonder around a variety of shops wasting my time and theirs (hopefully the bikes won't be stolen and I won't need their somewhat dubious services)…so leave the patronization out of it :mad:

July 18, 2007, 5:49 p.m.

They can still get you a price, just look in the Norco parts cat. Where do you live? If your LBS told you that after you told him why you wanted to know the price. Then they are shit

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.

July 18, 2007, 10:18 p.m.

www.BSPbikes.com has most components
so does john henerys web site

July 19, 2007, 4:13 p.m.

Thanks Slamigo but I think your figures are a bit off :(

I've been quoted 3% of full replacement cost (we must pay more for insurance out here in BC!). The problem is, both bikes are high-end custom builds [frame only costs are ~ CDN$2500+] and bought when I lived in the UK. The insurance company have stated that I need to establish the replacement cost - not what I think it's "worth" and I've read on this very forum of an incident when an insurance company failed to pay out to someone
who was un-intentionally under-insured..

You can't be under-insured if you've specified an amount. I have 3 bikes insured for $12,000 total. (VP-Free, Nomad, and a .243) I pay around $150 or so a year to insure all three. If they get stolen, I'll be happy with the $12,000 and I'll spend it wisely replacing them. My insurance policy doesn't say "buy me a new VP-Free", it says "give me $5500 to replace a VP-Free".
My rates may be lower as I also have a home owner's insurance policy, a home alarm system discount, all 3 cars insured and a YZ-125 dirtbike insured as well as life insurance on myself and my wife. All told, I pay about $350 a month for all the various insurance put together!

We're riding bicycles!!!

For sale: 5th element spring 425 lbs from a 2003 Bullit $40 shipping incl. PM me.