any giant reign owners (2015)

May 17, 2016, 12:54 p.m.

Something I noticed on my Advanced 1 was the chainguide used 2 washers, which put a tiny amount of force on the chain. With 1x11 chainline already being a problem this made it that much worse. I went to a single spacer and my backpedal issue got noticeably better.

May 17, 2016, 1:18 p.m.

I have had that problem with the axle backing off on my reign as well. Don't have it on my other bike and they share the same axle.

I had it once but it hasn't been a problem since.

May 17, 2016, 10:59 p.m.

I have an Advanced 1 as well, my first carbon bike. My probably dumb question:

Should I be worried about the down tube on the tailgate (padded) while shuttling?

I sat in the truck bed and excessively fretted over my bike during yesterdays slightly bumpy shuttling. :/

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

May 17, 2016, 11:32 p.m.

Should I be worried about the down tube on the tailgate (padded) while shuttling?

:/

Yes. A sharp bounce against steel can damage any frame, but especially a lightweight carboner, and it's not a manufacturers defect if it fails. A rack method that has the weight of the frame supported and bounced by the frame isn't design intent for any bicycle.

May 18, 2016, 9:09 a.m.

Get 2 packs of Shelter Tape from MEC and cover the bottom of the down tube and top of the top tube. I know the 3M tape from Lordco is popular, but it doesn't have the impact protection the Shelter Tape has.

Bottom layer protects from the tailgate, top layer protects from brake levers and bars.

May 18, 2016, 12:44 p.m.

And after posting yesterday that I hadn't had this problem my axle backed out last night, so now I've got that to look forward to

www.travelswithtyler.com

May 18, 2016, 1:50 p.m.

Yes.

Ha I knew it! Thanks for validating my neurosis.

After watching the light bulb demo by Shelter Tape's unkempt owner I'm sold. Reminds me of Stan, no business being in front of a camera, but enthusiastic.

For what it's worth I'm six months in on my Reign, no problem with axle backing out. I did thoroughly clean and grease the threads when it was new if that matters. In fact mine requires some heroics to get loose, like it has mysteriously tightened over the course of a ride.

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

May 18, 2016, 9:09 p.m.

Same here

May 18, 2016, 9:14 p.m.

Also, my Reign loves 4 bottomless rings in the Monarch. I'm 210lbs and I was struggling with finding that sweet spot between small bump and bottom out. 4 rings in there and the whole bike is happier. I feel like I get less deflection because the wheel is striking things in its travel, compared with always being at the bottom on a hit.

Cheap and easy mod that made a real difference in the ride of my Reign.

Agree 100%. Had the shock serviced and tuned by Fluid Function. Based on my weight (~215) they added 4 spacers to it and completely changed the way I ride the bike. Went from the back end feeling rather numb to really progressive.

June 17, 2016, 8:32 p.m.

Agree 100%. Had the shock serviced and tuned by Fluid Function. Based on my weight (~215) they added 4 spacers to it and completely changed the way I ride the bike. Went from the back end feeling rather numb to really progressive.

I think I might have to try this, I have had a ton of trouble getting the suspension to feel right on the Reign…