any giant reign owners (2015)

Nov. 12, 2015, 10:47 a.m.

y'all need to learn about

I don't think that was the spirit in which the comment to "unrideable" was to be taken.

If they said, didn't like the damping or provided some feedback as to why they felt the CC did not work on a Reign or other higher leverage bike then fine. An outright dismissal indicates they have never bothered to really try it or perhaps it's too complicated in the setup for them. I doubt the latter is the case, but perhaps more toward them liking a simple setup with only 2 or 3 possible settings to worry about (open, some damping, and most locked out). Nice and easy.

Nov. 12, 2015, 1:34 p.m.

http://theteamrobot.blogspot.ca/2015/01/baby-shocks.html

Giant seems to always miss greatness by a sliver. :(
I still haven't figured out why the Trance has 17.3" CS length.

As are most bikes in the 150-160mm travel range.

That category was almost killed off until Enduro reared its head.

What I don't get is the dismissal of any Cane Creek shocks. Not certain if the DB Air or DB Coil will work on the Reign, but I know they don't work on the newer Trance. I have a DB Inline on my Trance SX and think it works quite nicely. I thought the leverage ratios on the Trance and Reign were quite similar.

Iron Horse 7 point, used a 2.75" stroke on 8.75" shock, older Nomads I think used the same dimensions. The bigger impact to how these bikes rode was the quality of the shock.

Pretty certain Robot is sponsored by FOX so he may have limited, if any time on both the CC and Giant. Plus booms image posted above.
Nomads have always been 8.5x2.5

Agreed. Team robot's credibility just went out the window with his comment about CC shocks being 'unridable '. We have 3 in our fleet and my kid is dam fast on them. They work very well for me too, though I am less fast.

See booms image post.
Would your child be any less fast on another shock?

I don't think that was the spirit in which the comment to "unrideable" was to be taken.

If they said, didn't like the damping or provided some feedback as to why they felt the CC did not work on a Reign or other higher leverage bike then fine. An outright dismissal indicates they have never bothered to really try it or perhaps it's too complicated in the setup for them. I doubt the latter is the case, but perhaps more toward them liking a simple setup with only 2 or 3 possible settings to worry about (open, some damping, and most locked out). Nice and easy.

Pretty certain his blog is largely about taking the piss outta the industry and trolling people.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Nov. 12, 2015, 2:31 p.m.

The shock on my stock 2015 reign was terrible. Since CCDB Air wouldn't work (eyelet sizing issue), I upgraded to a Fox Float X2 and have never looked back.

Nov. 12, 2015, 2:47 p.m.

Giant seems to always miss greatness by a sliver. :(

i'd argue the opposite, actually: the reign and trance were "good value", but until the current iterations were way behind the industry curve wrt head tube angle, under-spec'ing forks, cs length, spec'ing stupid "standards" that made it tough for owners to use aftermarket parts, etc. i don't know much about leverage ratio, etc. so to me the reign is pretty much perfect; imo no such thing as a too-low bottom bracket, just riders who don't know how to pedal :devil:

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Nov. 12, 2015, 7 p.m.

Many bikes have high leverage ratio's these days, often due to the knematics being compromised for packaging or sizing.

Not so bad if you're light but sucks if you're obese. Monarch shocks are great but they need to make a couple more volumes as the volume bands alone don't give enough range.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Nov. 12, 2015, 8:54 p.m.

yeah, I'm only 155-160, so I haven't noticed too much trouble with the Monarch

Nov. 13, 2015, 9:23 a.m.

Anyone have any experience with running an 'unridable ' CC inline on a reign?

Nov. 14, 2015, 5:05 a.m.

Anyone have any experience with running an 'unridable ' CC inline on a reign?

Yeah. I tried it.

I was warned by various suspension tuners who sell CC shocks the Inline really wouldn't be suitable for it, due to the higher leverage ratio, and suspension curve. They said if I was a 130lb whippet, it would be fine, but I'm 6'1" and 180lbs.

I decided I knew best, ignored them and bought one anyway. At first I struggled with the setup, the usable range of adjustments were pretty limited, and it would bottom out way too easily. That shock blew up after about 3 weeks of use. Literally oil coming out of every orifice…

Anyway, they replaced it, and I started again. Same problems, it's usable range of adjustments were so limited, and the same bottom out issue. I started adding the bands to the air chamber, until I ran out of bands, and it still kept bottoming out. I started running 20% sag and less to try and combat it, but it never really worked properly. This one ended up knocking about 30% into its travel. It went back, I got a refund.

I borrowed a Float X which was a nice shock on it, whilst I waited for a VIvid Air to show up, which was also really good. I stupidly sold that because I had a friend who was offloading an 11-6, but then backed out on me. I replaced it with an X2, which to be fair, has been amazing - probably the best shock I have ever ridden.

The normal CCDB Air doesn't fit the Reign for the record.

Blur 4X - Sunday Factory.

Nov. 14, 2015, 9:37 a.m.

So is it common consensus that the new low/long/slack enduro bikes like the Giant Reign are not great technical climbers, but rather are better suited for climbing smooth uptracks or fireroads? The way people are talking here I feel like I'd be taking a step backwards in time and giving up a part of the versatility of my older "all mountain" bike by jumping on the new bike bandwagon.

tell me it ain't so because I'm really waffling between the Devinci Spartan and the Giant Reign this year :(

reign climbs really well. spartan has no bottle cage

Nov. 15, 2015, 12:01 p.m.

reign climbs really well. spartan has no bottle cage

Good to know but I'm one of those guys who guzzles back 3l. of water on a short ride in the summer so I'll always be riding with a pack, for example I just went for a 2hr ride and only brough a water bottle along instead of filling the bladder up because it's only 4 degrees out at elevation today…still ran out of water in the first 30 minutes :lol:

I think I'll still end up going with a Spartan over the Reign; the entry level Reign has a pretty basic parts spec (too many house brand parts, deore cranks and brakes on a $3500 bike, wtf) whereas the entry level Spartan at least a bit higher quality spec, better rear shock and only costs $400 more. Easy peasy decision in my books

Nov. 15, 2015, 12:21 p.m.

Guide brakes way better than the Shimano IMO i had ZEE,s incredible stopping power but i suffered massive hand cramps . With Guides i get very little hand cramping and i never feel under braked even with a RockRazor on the rear in the steep .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Nov. 15, 2015, 12:38 p.m.

Good to know but I'm one of those guys who guzzles back 3l. of water on a short ride in the summer so I'll always be riding with a pack, for example I just went for a 2hr ride and only brough a water bottle along instead of filling the bladder up because it's only 4 degrees out at elevation today…still ran out of water in the first 30 minutes :lol:

I think I'll still end up going with a Spartan over the Reign; the entry level Reign has a pretty basic parts spec (too many house brand parts, deore cranks and brakes on a $3500 bike, wtf) whereas the entry level Spartan at least a bit higher quality spec, better rear shock and only costs $400 more. Easy peasy decision in my books

Those deore brakes are pretty decent quality. Think the only real difference between them an m785 xt is they are more plasticy and dont have reach adjust. I think i have used the reach adjust once on my xts. Set and forget.
The stuff that comes on the devinci stuff is basically house brand. Im on a 2015 dixon which has the same build except stem for the 2016 XP spartan. The wheels are meh but everything else is decent, and im sure everything else on the reign would also be decent. The Sram cranks are about as cheap as they get on the spartan.

I would definitely prefer to ride the devinci, the dw link or split pivot or whatever is amazing. My dixon feels so composed thru rough stuff compared to my old enduro. Personally i would be looking more to the new Troy and overforking it. Devinci in the past have let you custom build your bike. So you could get the XP troy, throw on a 160 fork and the monarch plus and good to go.

Nov. 15, 2015, 2:46 p.m.

Those deore brakes are pretty decent quality. Think the only real difference between them an m785 xt is they are more plasticy and dont have reach adjust. I think i have used the reach adjust once on my xts. Set and forget.
The stuff that comes on the devinci stuff is basically house brand. Im on a 2015 dixon which has the same build except stem for the 2016 XP spartan. The wheels are meh but everything else is decent, and im sure everything else on the reign would also be decent. The Sram cranks are about as cheap as they get on the spartan.

I would definitely prefer to ride the devinci, the dw link or split pivot or whatever is amazing. My dixon feels so composed thru rough stuff compared to my old enduro. Personally i would be looking more to the new Troy and overforking it. Devinci in the past have let you custom build your bike. So you could get the XP troy, throw on a 160 fork and the monarch plus and good to go.

the troy is definitely a top contender as well and the 2016's look amazing. I've been on a Dixon with 160mm fork for the past 2 or 3 years..one of the best bikes I've ridden but everything is getting clapped out to the point of saying, time to buy a new bike. The DW linkage is insane for sure, the faster you go the more stable it becomes. The only problem with the troy, IMO is the 67* head angle..with a 160mm fork on the Dixon it sits around 65.5 and I'm not sure I want to give that up.

Edited to add, that I shouldn't hijack this thread any more. it's about the Giant Reign, but I've found some great info in here so thank you all

Nov. 16, 2015, 10:45 a.m.

FYI. I did mount a bottle cage to a Spartan with a simple modification. I used the top hole in the aluminum bash guard as the top hole for the Cage and drilled a hole in the bash for a nut and bolt as the lower mount. Not the preferred location of course but better than no cage.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Nov. 16, 2015, 10:55 a.m.

FYI. I did mount a bottle cage to a Spartan with a simple modification. I used the top hole in the aluminum bash guard as the top hole for the Cage and drilled a hole in the bash for a nut and bolt as the lower mount. Not the preferred location of course but better than no cage.

My friend did the same on his. I pointed out however that the lower cage bolt that's fixed into the bash guard could puncture the downtube if smacked on something.