any giant reign owners (2015)

Nov. 5, 2015, 10:31 a.m.

The debonair plus on the back was okay, despite the crazy amount of psi needed in the shock to get a decent balance of bottom out vs ride characteristics

Actually, I noticed this too. I'm not the biggest dude in the world: about 5'9" and around 175 but not the most graceful of riders. I feel I am way closer to max PSI on the debonair than I should be. It's not like I'm hitting big drops on it though. Can't imagine how someone 200lbs plus is riding it.

Nov. 5, 2015, 10:44 a.m.

the debonair can take 350 psi max pressure so you are probably still far from the max. I'm 185lbs and I'm running 240-250 psi (30% sag) so that leaves 100psi of adjustment. a 200lbs rider would be around 260psi. The reign setup around 30% sag and with two bottom out rings feels amazing and very lively. Shocks and suspension setups are different in most bikes nowadays and are using much higher pressure then before.

didnt know nsmb was only for pros

its not, its only for dicks.

My Flickr

Nov. 5, 2015, 12:12 p.m.

the debonair can take 350 psi max pressure so you are probably still far from the max. I'm 185lbs and I'm running 240-250 psi (30% sag) so that leaves 100psi of adjustment. a 200lbs rider would be around 260psi. The reign setup around 30% sag and with two bottom out rings feels amazing and very lively. Shocks and suspension setups are different in most bikes nowadays and are using much higher pressure then before.

I am going to check mine when I get home, but I think I am in the region of 280 psi. Could this be a token issue or are those only in the front? I'm definitely not a suspension expert. The bike rides great but I seem to be using all the suspension (the little red ring always ends up at the bottom).

Nov. 5, 2015, 5:21 p.m.

Bottoming out is not a bad thing if it happens once or twice during a ride. You want to be able to use all of your travel. It's a problem if it bottoms out all the time though. You might want to add some bottom out rings to your shock to increase it's progressiveness.

didnt know nsmb was only for pros

its not, its only for dicks.

My Flickr

Nov. 5, 2015, 6:56 p.m.

Bottoming out is not a bad thing if it happens once or twice during a ride. You want to be able to use all of your travel. It's a problem if it bottoms out all the time though. You might want to add some bottom out rings to your shock to increase it's progressiveness.

What are these bottom out rings you speak of.

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

Nov. 5, 2015, 7:13 p.m.

something you wear around the base so the missus can handle your manliness… (man i crack me up sometimes)

Nov. 5, 2015, 7:44 p.m.

Tuning Tips

Nov. 6, 2015, 4:52 p.m.

Tuning Tips

I think this is what you were looking for: http://nsmb.com/rock-shox-tuning-camp/

Nov. 9, 2015, 3:43 p.m.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/pinkbikes-ews-pro-rides-yoann-barelli-and-his-giant-reign.html

#northsidetrailbuilders

Nov. 9, 2015, 4:18 p.m.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"I use a 36 tooth all the time. Sometimes I change to a 34, if there is a lot of climbing. I like the 36 so that I can stay in the middle of the cassette and not at the bottom on the high-speed sections, so I have better chain line. I use a standard 175mm SRAM XO carbon crankset."

Somebody better set this boy straight with some 170 cranks quick before he suffers an attack of the dead spot, eh?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Nov. 9, 2015, 8:28 p.m.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"I use a 36 tooth all the time. Sometimes I change to a 34, if there is a lot of climbing. I like the 36 so that I can stay in the middle of the cassette and not at the bottom on the high-speed sections, so I have better chain line. I use a standard 175mm SRAM XO carbon crankset."

Somebody better set this boy straight with some 170 cranks quick before he suffers an attack of the dead spot, eh?

I just set my hair on fire.

Nov. 9, 2015, 10:03 p.m.

:lol:

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Nov. 10, 2015, 7:44 a.m.

So is it common consensus that the new low/long/slack enduro bikes like the Giant Reign are not great technical climbers, but rather are better suited for climbing smooth uptracks or fireroads? The way people are talking here I feel like I'd be taking a step backwards in time and giving up a part of the versatility of my older "all mountain" bike by jumping on the new bike bandwagon.

tell me it ain't so because I'm really waffling between the Devinci Spartan and the Giant Reign this year :(

Nov. 10, 2015, 8:36 a.m.

so a couple of my buddies have the new reign. my observations riding with them here on the b+K is that the reign climbs as good as my 2103 sight and descends as good as my six. my buddie can do on one bike what takes me two . yes my sight climbs better in the true tech gnar, but i don't actually do that much tech gnar climbing. and the six might descend a bit more comfortably..but not much really on either … I'm def considering a reign for 2016.. the 650b seems like a pretty good way to go.also i agree w ned overends comments recently about the larger whls..(maybe not full 29 but i don't live in colorado)

Nov. 10, 2015, 11:06 a.m.

So is it common consensus that the new low/long/slack enduro bikes like the Giant Reign are not great technical climbers, but rather are better suited for climbing smooth uptracks or fireroads? The way people are talking here I feel like I'd be taking a step backwards in time and giving up a part of the versatility of my older "all mountain" bike by jumping on the new bike bandwagon.

tell me it ain't so because I'm really waffling between the Devinci Spartan and the Giant Reign this year :(

I actually find the reign climbs the tech shore quite well. Sticky tires, rear suspension, and low gearing helps. My other climbing rides, tallboy and chromag surface both climb well but different. The tallboy is best if you are keeping some pace but I have it set up with xc tires so slow, slippery stuff is tough. Chromag has the drawbacks of the rear wheel not tracking as well. But the reign gets up stuff no problem, just not as quick.