any giant reign owners (2015)

Nov. 3, 2015, 9:28 a.m.

so, you guys are taking mountain bike gear cues from triathletes?

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Nov. 3, 2015, 9:49 a.m.

Or just the perception of more leverage?

The laws of physics are a perception?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Nov. 3, 2015, 10:01 a.m.

the fact that giant went to 170 cranks and raised the BB a bit for the 2016 model says that even they get that there's a limit to how low stuff should be.

For the record, the 2016 Reign frames have not changed. Still using the same molds and jigs from 2015. The crank lengths are 170mm only on the Small bikes and the rest are all 175mm which is also the same as 2015.

Yes they are really low bikes. Having very thin pedals will help a lot on this. Make sure you get cranks boots also. They have a very long reach which will cause the front of the bike to "wander" a bit on the climbs so you have to ride them differently and adjust to that. Sitting a bit further forward on the saddle for the climbs helps a lot and when cornering on the descents, you need to put more weight on the front wheel then with older generation bikes. Once you get used to the way they ride it's quite a fun and playful bike. It's just not a XC bike.

didnt know nsmb was only for pros

its not, its only for dicks.

My Flickr

Nov. 3, 2015, 10:19 a.m.

For the record, the 2016 Reign frames have not changed. Still using the same molds and jigs from 2015. The crank lengths are 170mm only on the Small bikes and the rest are all 175mm which is also the same as 2015.

Yes they are really low bikes. Having very thin pedals will help a lot on this. Make sure you get cranks boots also. They have a very long reach which will cause the front of the bike to "wander" a bit on the climbs so you have to ride them differently and adjust to that. Sitting a bit further forward on the saddle for the climbs helps a lot and when cornering on the descents, you need to put more weight on the front wheel then with older generation bikes. Once you get used to the way they ride it's quite a fun and playful bike. It's just not a XC bike.

oh that's a my bad, I was thinking of Transition, pretty sure it was them that raised bb 5mm and went to shorter cranks. I'm well aware of what the Reign is and isn't.

Nov. 3, 2015, 10:58 a.m.

http://canfieldbrothers.com/components/am-dh_cranks

You Reign owners need the 155 Canfield Bro's cranks.

Nov. 3, 2015, 11:43 a.m.

so, you guys are taking mountain bike gear cues from triathletes?

well if that article came out ten years ago, then maybe? The argument is there, why not;) and hell if guys are running power meters on their endurbro bike, even more reason to science it up! :dizzy:

Back to real biking……try 170's on these bikes, even if you have spider legs.

Nov. 3, 2015, 12:05 p.m.

I have one still, I'm just over 6ft on a large. Other than some minor little annoyances in the design, the ride etc I really like.

I've been running mine with a Float X2, no real need for the climb switch in my experience, maybe the shock helps?

Low BB, and reasonably long, also the sort of thing I like, pedal strikes haven't been much of an issue for me, but I do run 170mm cranks.

I did crack mine after a summer in Whistler, bit of a freak crack though in the bottom of the BB she'll, Giant were amazing - literally 2 pictures and a frame shipped half way round the world (I live in the UK normally) within 5 days.

Mine was the ugly green advanced 1, the other benefit, they replaced it with the Team Advanced frame. They also gave me another shock, when I queried it they said its on us :)

Mine is my do everything bike. I ride trail, race enduro [HTML_REMOVED] DH on it. Probably the best bike I've ridden. I'd like to try an 11-6 shock just for fun, but the money is bonkers.

Blur 4X - Sunday Factory.

Nov. 3, 2015, 7:01 p.m.

The laws of physics are a perception?

Longer cranks, larger dead spot.

I've don't two Nimby's within minutes of each other with 165's and 170mm cranks.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Nov. 3, 2015, 10:05 p.m.

Longer cranks, larger dead spot.

I've don't two Nimby's within minutes of each other with 165's and 170mm cranks.

There's no dead spot whilst spinning circles and what?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Nov. 3, 2015, 10:11 p.m.

There's no dead spot whilst spinning circles and what?

If you're pushing down on the circle, you'll have more power at 3 [HTML_REMOVED] 9 vs. 12 [HTML_REMOVED] 6. The longer the arm the more time spent at each position.

The question to ask then, where is the sweet spot. I bet the difference between 150 [HTML_REMOVED] 180 ain't that much in the grand scheme of things.

All I know is that I still try and pedal at times when I know I shouldn't be and usually pay some price. Thanks Shirk, I might be checking out those cranks.

Nov. 4, 2015, 8:43 a.m.

Maybe some of the long crank fans should get down the local dirt bike track and see if they can sell the idea to the riders that they've got it all wrong having their feet inline. What they really want is to have them 350mm apart.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Nov. 4, 2015, 6:43 p.m.

I picked up the team model at the end of the summer, coming off a 2012 Specialized Enduro 26er before that. I played around with the dual position pike, actually found it pretty good for technical climbs, but in the dropped travel mode, really had to watch the pedal position. I couldn't get the feel of the pike where I wanted it and just put on a Marzocchi 350 ncr ti 170 mm fork. The debonair plus on the back was okay, despite the crazy amount of psi needed in the shock to get a decent balance of bottom out vs ride characteristics, so I'm experimenting with a vivid coil at the moment. Both suspension changes have resulted in what I was looking for in this bike, a very capable descender. Even with the 170mm fork, it still is crushing my previous climbing KOM's, but some of that may be due to the weight difference from the Specialized. Last addition is the chinese carbon wheels, and I think this will replace all but park riding for my dh bike.

www.travelswithtyler.com

Nov. 4, 2015, 9:33 p.m.

you must have a sub 65 HA with a 170 on front of that bike…

Nov. 4, 2015, 9:38 p.m.

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Nov. 5, 2015, 9:11 a.m.

I haven't measured it, but logic being that starting with ah 65 ha, and going from a 552 to a 567 axle to crown difference, an increase of 15 mm would tend to make the ha a little more slack. I know Yoann Barelli's bike check for the Whistler EWS, he ran a 170 lyric for that race and they said it brought the bike to about 64.5 ha. That being said, my v10 has a 62 degree ha, so I think even getting a -1 cup works headset on the reign might be a fun experiment. Not even close to Geometron levels, but I like a long wheelbase and slack ha, and think I can compromise on the climbing drawbacks as I just get up to get down.

On a side note, the 350 ncr ti is pretty amazing so far, exactly what I was looking for performance-wise with minimal weight penalty. Too bad more people didn't try one out and the company might not have imploded, but it did allow me to get a smoking deal on the fork. I also ride a 380 on the dh bike and am really happy with that as well for ride feel and performance. On the reign, it really does feel like a mini-dh bike with coil front and back, all at under 30 lbs on a large. What an age we live in.

www.travelswithtyler.com