any BMX racers here?

Sept. 2, 2016, 4:20 p.m.

my kid has taken a liking to the bmx track and it seems like a cool and not overly expensive little sport to get into. so instead of me just sitting there in the stands, i was thinking about picking up a used bike to race or at least go to the practice nights with.

i'm about 6'1", noobie, so figured a 24" wheel cruiser with a top tube of 22" or so? anything else i really need to know about it? hoping to find one for ~$300

Sept. 2, 2016, 5:29 p.m.

my kid has taken a liking to the bmx track and it seems like a cool and not overly expensive little sport to get into. so instead of me just sitting there in the stands, i was thinking about picking up a used bike to race or at least go to the practice nights with.

i'm about 6'1", noobie, so figured a 24" wheel cruiser with a top tube of 22" or so? anything else i really need to know about it? hoping to find one for ~$300

Yes the 24" cruiser style bikes are a bit more comfortable but lots of guys your size race on 20's. Just go with the Pro's or XL's that have the longer top tube. Other than that just go for it, dont worry about a bunch of gear, you probably wont be fast enough at first to worry about pants, pads, long sleeve, neck brace, full face etc etc

Work on pumping, once you can do a full track just by pumping with no pedal strokes, then gear up and pin it!! BRAAAAP!

Sept. 2, 2016, 7:38 p.m.

Long pants and sleeves,gloves and ff required. Find a used bike through the club and have fun!

I miss it alot

Pastor of Muppets

Sept. 2, 2016, 8:11 p.m.

I take my kids to the bmx track too, but I just ride the pump track on my 26" DJ.

Fun, great workout, and I'm on a bike that has familiar reach and mannerisms. You guys at Inter River? They have a pump track yet?

I used to race 24" before kids, but these days I'm a little more realistic about trying to be beat the other adults at my track who tend to be former national champ types on carbon 20" bikes…

If you haven't found out yet, 20" bikes are a really different animal than MTB's and your skills will mostly not translate - 75° head angles, unimaginable rigidity and tiny unstable wheels add up to an alien feeling bike. 24" is more stable, but still a long ways from anything familiar. And 24" is slower than 20" if you're looking to be eventually competitive.
Btw, Danscomp size chart would have you on a Pro XXL.

One option would be to grab a bmx rental from the track for a few sessions and see how it feels? Most tracks have rentals. Like 3 sheets said, be sure to bring long pants and a long sleeve shirt. Helmets are usually available for rent too.

Another option is just race on a 26" pump track/DJ bike. They'll let you in the 24" division. You'll be handicapped by the bigger wheels, but at least you'll be able to ride the damn thing. ;)

Btw, beat your kids badly now. Just smoke em and talk a bunch of smack. It takes them about 2 weeks to get fast as hell and leave you in the dust.

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

Sept. 2, 2016, 9:38 p.m.

Fun, great workout, and I'm on a bike that has familiar reach and mannerisms. You guys at Inter River? They have a pump track yet?

Thanks all. we go to Ridge Meadows as it's closer and also that my kid (just turned 5) wasn't a big fan of the steepness of the new Interriver track. He might be fine with it now though and if we brought a race bike with us.

One option would be to grab a bmx rental from the track for a few sessions and see how it feels? Most tracks have rentals. Like 3 sheets said, be sure to bring long pants and a long sleeve shirt. Helmets are usually available for rent too.

Another option is just race on a 26" pump track/DJ bike. They'll let you in the 24" division. You'll be handicapped by the bigger wheels, but at least you'll be able to ride the damn thing. ;)

Btw, beat your kids badly now. Just smoke em and talk a bunch of smack. It takes them about 2 weeks to get fast as hell and leave you in the dust.

I did borrow a neighbours old Schwinn Pro Stock (?) a while ago and it definitely felt so foreign the first time out. But i like the idea of borrowing a bike a couple times if they have my size…we've done that for my kid so far, and plan to pick up a used Mini for him soon.

And yeah it's rather impressive how fast they progress. It also seems very good for him in terms of being very focused at the races, but not overly concerned with winning, although he does well. He also seems to enjoy being a part of something, being around fellow kids with cool kits and bikes and what not.

Sept. 2, 2016, 10:50 p.m.

And yeah it's rather impressive how fast they progress. It also seems very good for him in terms of being very focused at the races, but not overly concerned with winning, although he does well. He also seems to enjoy being a part of something, being around fellow kids with cool kits and bikes and what not.

I am really beginning to appreciate what a profoundly positive thing riding bikes is for kids.

BMX is really the pinnacle isn't it? It's a beautiful thing to see the kids spreading their wings and becoming self reliant. And it ain't easy! BMX is the epitome of "get up, brush yourself off, and keep going".

I'm totally with you on not focusing on the W too much, just being there now and enjoying your kids is what it's all about.

I read an article titled How to Raise an Olympian. Among the athletes interviewed their parents had all told them one thing in common when they were kids: "I love to watch you play".

My kids have ridden every single damn day since they started at the beginning of the summer. :) I'm loving it.

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

Sept. 2, 2016, 11:21 p.m.

BMX is really the pinnacle isn't it? It's a beautiful thing to see the kids spreading their wings and becoming self reliant. And it ain't easy! BMX is the epitome of "get up, brush yourself off, and keep going".

The vibe at the races is great. These kids high-fiving at the end of the race, or waiting at the finish line for a competitor who bailed harshly to walk through and finish, or seeing them just them shooting the shit waiting for their moto. I love that there are plenty of girls young and old there too and it's really a whole family thing. it's new to me but looks kinda cool. Some older dudes (40+) look rather fierce but some are just schlub dads like me, so might try it soon

Sept. 3, 2016, 7:45 a.m.

one of my riding partners and his kids race , they just qualified for the Worlds . expensive sport he always traveling to races and they race and practice several times a week at times as well .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Sept. 3, 2016, 8:03 a.m.

I was involved at the Ridge Meadows track for years. Started my son half tracking at 3 and a 1/2 years old. Now he's 22 and a beast on a mountain bike. You can race a 26" in the cruiser class if you just want to horse around,but racings addictive so i doubt that would last long. We had so many racing dads when I was around,we had mains. Then we all got 20" and raced both classes,made for some late race nights. Theres always riders upgrading their bikes especially the kids as they grow like weeds,check out the local clubs website. Check out Abbotsford BMX too.

Sept. 4, 2016, 9:14 p.m.

The vibe at the races is great. These kids high-fiving at the end of the race, or waiting at the finish line for a competitor who bailed harshly to walk through and finish, or seeing them just them shooting the shit waiting for their moto. I love that there are plenty of girls young and old there too and it's really a whole family thing. it's new to me but looks kinda cool. Some older dudes (40+) look rather fierce but some are just schlub dads like me, so might try it soon

I'm one of the older 40+ dudes at Ridge. Been doing it for a few years now. Still getting beat by the ex-pros and now my knee is worse, which means the new dads are starting to beat me. I'm in it for the jumping, actually. Helps your MTB riding like crazy. Once you start, it's game on and you;ll be looking for ways to improve equipment wise and technique wise. I'm usually wearing some white FLY gear with a black and white helmet. Come grab me! there's also a 24" redline at he shed to borrow as well.

"Ripping Styles, Holmes!"
- Tommy Guererro, Search for Animal Chin

Sept. 4, 2016, 9:17 p.m.

Oh yeah. I was injured one night and decided to test out a new company RED camera. Here's the result: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyNA86bixuU

(can't watch on mobile)

"Ripping Styles, Holmes!"
- Tommy Guererro, Search for Animal Chin

Sept. 21, 2016, 10:57 p.m.

My buddy and I are starting to ride the local tracks again. Need to get back into shape and get a 20" tho, I remember it being a lot easier back in the day haha

superheros
I like bikes

Sept. 22, 2016, 1:18 p.m.

on tues night i watched this guy at the track Nate Berkheimer (sp) race which was rather mind-blowing. I then found out he is/was a serious pro at least at some point in his life. Anyways, was a pleasure to watch!

i tried my 29" hardtail once at Ridge and it just doesn't feel as fun at all. i plan to take my kid to abbotsford this winter, and hope to boot around with him with some cheap cruiser.

Sept. 22, 2016, 9:15 p.m.

on tues night i watched this guy at the track Nate Berkheimer (sp) race which was rather mind-blowing. I then found out he is/was a serious pro at least at some point in his life. Anyways, was a pleasure to watch!

i tried my 29" hardtail once at Ridge and it just doesn't feel as fun at all. i plan to take my kid to abbotsford this winter, and hope to boot around with him with some cheap cruiser.

Nate was also a pro dirt jumper on the dew tour. Guy is seriously good on a bike.

I raced BMX from 12-19 and loved it. I tried to get back into it a few times over the years but I'd rather just go ride my bike on my own schedule these days. Kids develop riding skill so fast when you get them into racing. The best part IMO is almost everyone I grew up racing with also rode their bikes outside the track, usually at local jumps and skate parks and you turn into a very well rounded rider.

A lot of the top dogs in DH will have bmx racing on their resume at some time!

Sept. 23, 2016, 7:46 a.m.

No interest in racing for me, but I have a killer 20" BMX race bike that I use exclusively for pump track duties. I typically ride the BMX bike at least once a week. It is such a good workout and a great way to dial your lines and technique on the bike. Any mistake that is covered by your suspension and barely inflated knobby tires on the mountain bike will bite you in the ass on the BMX. :rocker:

My girlfiend (who is not into mtb or road biking at all) is loving it as well.