Another rear tire thread - corners well, rolls fast

March 30, 2015, 12:10 p.m.

I try to email Maxxis a few times a year to tell them to release new model folding bead DH casing tires in TR and 3C duro for 26ers

They have a new model dubbed the "Tomahawk" that is using a new casing called Double Down. It is a double-ply 120tpi casing with a butyl insert in the sidewall with a TR bead. So pretty much what you are describing with a weight between a folding and DH tire. If it works well I hope it makes it to other, existing models.

April 1, 2015, 8:23 a.m.

The new Nobby Nic is pretty good. 2.35" 27.5

Way more grip than the previous incarnation and better than the HR2 on the rear.

It's a fast tire with decent control on the limit (doesn't suddenly break traction)

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-

April 1, 2015, 8:27 a.m.

purgatory is straight up scary as a front tire. anyone who says otherwise,

I run Purgatorys front and rear on my little bike……not ideal but they are fun. They teach you how to two wheel drift :)

www.FVMBA.com 

-Mario Andretti-

April 1, 2015, 9:24 a.m.

I run Purgatorys front and rear on my little bike……not ideal but they are fun. They teach you how to two wheel drift :)

and there i was wondering how you always seem to be injuring yourself… :hurt:

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

April 1, 2015, 1:22 p.m.

and there i was wondering how you always seem to be injuring yourself… :hurt:

Just keeping the riding interesting on my little bike

but

V2 Nobby Nics are really good.

www.FVMBA.com 

-Mario Andretti-

April 1, 2015, 1:37 p.m.

thanks in part to this thread i just threw a purgatory on the back of my 29er hardtail. been on a 2.4" ikon for a few months and while it rolls and feels great, i'm finding it just doesn't have enough support in the corners.

Were you using the purgatory control or grid? I had the same issue with the purgatory control on the back, but have heard that the grid is more stable.

April 1, 2015, 1:57 p.m.

I enjoy the Butcher/Purgatory combination on my 29er hardtail. What made it an extra 15% better in my opinion was switching to tubeless. PSI at 28 on both run tubeless and it's traction is great, pretty fast rolling and has enough cush to add a touch of comfort. Maybe a tad squirmy but at 28 it isn't too bad (mind you I ride like el pussay compared to most of you gnarcore duuudes.)

Wrong. Always.

April 1, 2015, 1:57 p.m.

Here's the best roundup of what's new for Maxxis that I've come across,
http://www.bikerumor.com/2015/03/30/tpe15-maxxis-revamps-mountain-bike-line-new-fat-bike-tires-gravel-road-tubeless-more/?utm_source=feedburner[HTML_REMOVED]utm_medium=feed[HTML_REMOVED]utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BikeRumor+%28Bike+Rumor+RSS%29

Looks like it's either 2.3's or 4.8's, don't understand the lack of 2.4 or 2.5, maybe the future is 2.8 plus size's? Why would they call a tire the "Aggressor" and then only make it in 2.3…

~~~~~~~~~~~

April 1, 2015, 2:12 p.m.

Here's the best roundup of what's new for Maxxis that I've come across,
http://www.bikerumor.com/2015/03/30/tpe15-maxxis-revamps-mountain-bike-line-new-fat-bike-tires-gravel-road-tubeless-more/?utm_source=feedburner[HTML_REMOVED]utm_medium=feed[HTML_REMOVED]utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BikeRumor+%28Bike+Rumor+RSS%29

Looks like it's either 2.3's or 4.8's, don't understand the lack of 2.4 or 2.5, maybe the future is 2.8 plus size's? Why would they call a tire the "Aggressor" and then only make it in 2.3…

The Maxxis Tomahawk looks like it may be worth trying in the rear for the shore.

April 1, 2015, 3:16 p.m.

I enjoy the Butcher/Purgatory combination on my 29er hardtail. What made it an extra 15% better in my opinion was switching to tubeless. PSI at 28 on both run tubeless and it's traction is great, pretty fast rolling and has enough cush to add a touch of comfort. Maybe a tad squirmy but at 28 it isn't too bad (mind you I ride like el pussay compared to most of you gnarcore duuudes.)

That's the combo I was thinking of trying if the grid sidewall is all it's cracked up to be. I don't ride too hard, I'm just a bit on the heavier side. I was running the purgatory control tubeless around 30psi. I called a few shops today to see who has stock and two of them have stated that as of this year they no longer carry specialized, which I found odd.

April 1, 2015, 8:01 p.m.

The Maxxis Tomahawk looks like it may be worth trying in the rear for the shore.

They're great tires in the dry and have tremendous cornering bite but are a bit treacherous in the wet. The low knobs that give it the low rolling resistance just don't grab in the wet. The new DD casing does the trick too. You can drop the pressure a bit more than usual and still not bottom the tire.

April 1, 2015, 9:22 p.m.

The new Nobby Nic is pretty good. 2.35" 27.5

Way more grip than the previous incarnation and better than the HR2 on the rear.

It's a fast tire with decent control on the limit (doesn't suddenly break traction)

http://www.purebike.fr/article_media/h-6489-7378.jpg

this tread pattern ?? and front only or front and rear ? and what casing ?

#northsidetrailbuilders

April 2, 2015, 9:11 a.m.

http://www.purebike.fr/article_media/h-6489-7378.jpg

this tread pattern ?? and front only or front and rear ? and what casing ?

Yes, the tread pattern below.

Front and rear. Tubeless Easy. The casing is a tiny bit thinner than a Maxxis HR2 Exxo TR Maxxterra

Hard to come by right now, CRC had some and Velocity had some.

www.FVMBA.com 

-Mario Andretti-

April 2, 2015, 11:14 a.m.

Called Dunbar looking for a Butcher Control said they had a Butcher not Control with red lettering (?) with lighter casing wtf? anyone know what they're talking about?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

April 2, 2015, 11:46 a.m.

They're great tires in the dry and have tremendous cornering bite but are a bit treacherous in the wet. The low knobs that give it the low rolling resistance just don't grab in the wet. The new DD casing does the trick too. You can drop the pressure a bit more than usual and still not bottom the tire.

I rode these during the late fall and throughout the winter. The biggest factor with traction was too much psi combined with the DD casing. At 180lbs, I was using 30/28psi on 30mm inner tubeless rims. I eventually drop them down to 28/26psi and all was well with the roots and rocks on the shore. The knobs certainly don't grab the shore like a 2.4 3C HRII but the tire rolls faster, corners better, and the DD casing holds up better under rider input. Anywhere loose, these tires will excel. I see them as a very good late spring to early fall tire: dry, fast, grippy, etc.

The Minion SS really surprised me as well. I ran one all winter on the back of my Thunderbolt and the climbing grip outperformed my expectations. Cornering was fun and predictable. The tire will slide sideways right away, always, and then hook up once it transitions on to the side knobs. Very fun tire and fast rolling.

The wear on both tires, for 3C models, has been outstanding compared to other Maxxis tires. The Tomahawks have 6 months of riding and the rear is only just showing some braking wear.