Another Gear-Box System: Suntour

Aug. 3, 2006, 9:10 a.m.

Salt water can corrode bare magnesium pretty badly. Sodium, Na, in water is pretty fun. I heard a story once from a University prof about sodium wrapped in the right amount of newpaper being flushed down a bunch of toilets simultaneously and by the time the water got to the soduim in the paper balls they were well in the pipes and caused the flow to reverse. Water came up the urinals, out the terlets turds just layed came up and landed in trousers around ankles.

:lol: good story

I have seen Na reactions in water a couple times. Once in high school, and once here in college. My teacher in high school didnt really know what she was doing….. Nothing bad happened, but it scared the shit out of her when it started to react violently :lol:

thinkin bout bikes

Aug. 3, 2006, 9:29 a.m.

Yeah but image trying to fix those things. I mean with Shop labour as it is… I am sure that not "anyone" could fix it… for now I'll stick to RDs.

I would love to give it a go though!

Dan

www.steedcycles.com

Aug. 3, 2006, 9:32 a.m.

Yeah but image trying to fix those things. I mean with Shop labour as it is… I am sure that not "anyone" could fix it… for now I'll stick to RDs.

I would love to give it a go though!

Dan

and replacement parts…. Ugh. Pain in the ass

thinkin bout bikes

Aug. 3, 2006, 10:02 a.m.

My only question: Why?

What is the point of all that, just to lose the rear D? I would also think the gearbox is less efficient (power wise, that is it takes more energy to spin the darn thing).

I also think that most gear boxes are able to shift on the fly - the chain and rear cog are fixed, so that you have the chain running all the time. Then as you desire just shift gears and you're ready to power away.

look at all motor bikes. gearbox at the front and chain running back.

also it puts the center of gravity of the bike down nice and low in the center.

Play : Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Aug. 3, 2006, 10:46 a.m.

imagine how expenisve parts for that would be

, however, notice the black guys pants don't leave much to the imajination.

Aug. 3, 2006, 2:19 p.m.

people laughed at the rock shox RS1 when it came out. Anyone on here still rockin a rigid fork on trails?

I wouldn't buy one of those drivetrains now but give it some time and I'll bet it'll be a viable alternative. It'll be standardized and might eclipse the rear derailleur for some types of riding

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Aug. 3, 2006, 3:29 p.m.

The latest version looks much cleaner.
Check out:

http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com

As far as I understand it, the owner of Nicolai has come up with a couple of different ideas for the internals. One of these - the V-boxx - he has licenced to SR-Suntour to produce. That unit uses spur gears like a motorbike. The other unit - G-Boxx 2 - will be produced by his other company, Universal Transmissions and will use planetary gears.

www.g-boxx.org

Hopefully we'll see more from Eurobike.

I'm a gearbox-bike nut.

Aug. 3, 2006, 5:13 p.m.

people laughed at the rock shox RS1 when it came out. Anyone on here still rockin a rigid fork on trails?

I wouldn't buy one of those drivetrains now but give it some time and I'll bet it'll be a viable alternative. It'll be standardized and might eclipse the rear derailleur for some types of riding

Yes but why were people laughing at the RS? (Really, i dont know, i wasnt around MTB'ing then) But im guessing it was because

1- it was new and people think it was un-needed

2- It was heavy maybe? idunno

But anyways, my point is, back when the RS came out, i bet it was just people being skeptical about something new, and they didnt have REAL things to say against the new technology. But the gear box on the other hand has clear downsides (that is, as of now. The problems could of course be sorted out in a couple years) Like a large increase in friction, expensive upkeep, very heavy, and not user servicable. So right now, the RD system still has more than enough good traits to stay afloat.

But of course, like i said, that is the situation as of now. Technology changes uber fast in the span of a couple years so who knows whats up.

thinkin bout bikes

Aug. 3, 2006, 8:51 p.m.

Suntour's still around?

I'm not only president of Head Clubbing for Men, I'm also a client.

Aug. 3, 2006, 9:03 p.m.

Not in that form..

Most Marzocchi lowers, if not all are magnesium..

and Boxxers..and Manitou..

Aug. 4, 2006, 6:51 a.m.

wheres the gas go in

Aug. 4, 2006, 6:52 a.m.

standardized? in mountain biking?

Aug. 4, 2006, 9:24 a.m.

does anyone even ride a suntour fr. fork?

, however, notice the black guys pants don't leave much to the imajination.

Aug. 4, 2006, 9:37 a.m.

i have a 1 inch threaded on in my house

Aug. 4, 2006, 9:42 a.m.

does anyone even ride a suntour fr. fork?

After answering that was my question… do you trust this company enough to ride that if we won't even ride one of their forks?

Interesting!

www.steedcycles.com