AngleSet on a Warden???

Sept. 7, 2019, 4:25 p.m.

Anyone running and angleset on a Warden? How do like it? Does it noticeably affect climbing in a bad way?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 7, 2019, 6:54 p.m.

I,m not riding a Warden . But I did put a 1.5deg angle set in my Django. I bought the Works out of the UK. Best price was direct thru them. As a machinist this product is top quality. Top cup added 10mm in height so check your steer tube if its short and no spacers .

As for the ride, big difference in a positive way. Can be a bit wandering on really slow climbs. On the down and trail , big smile . Made a difference in the corners and plowing thru stuff. Bike is faster and more stable at speed thru rougher stuff. Only negative , at times the bike feels smaller . This could be fixed with a longer stem.

Sept. 8, 2019, 9:09 a.m.

looking at the geo on your Django, the Warden is sitting 2 slacker so I can see how adding the angleset to your Django made an improvement. I'm not sure if going down to 64 is worth it tho considering I like tech climbing, I'm worried the front end will get a bit too floppy.

Sept. 8, 2019, 9:52 a.m.

I don't have an angleset but I ride an evil insurgent and originally ran it with a 150 fork that I upped to 160. I too like tech climbing and was pleasantly surprised at how little difference there was in climbing. As you are not changing your STA I suspect the climbing might be alright.

How long is your stem? You could always add 10mm to that if the steering got floppy

Sept. 8, 2019, 10:45 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

I don't have an angleset but I ride an evil insurgent and originally ran it with a 150 fork that I upped to 160. I too like tech climbing and was pleasantly surprised at how little difference there was in climbing. As you are not changing your STA I suspect the climbing might be alright.

How long is your stem? You could always add 10mm to that if the steering got floppy

The stem is a scant 35mm iirc. I'm currently running the fork (Durolux) at 170mm but with a slightly weird setup. I have lower pressure for  a bit more sag and more supple off the top but with more tokens to ramp up a bit more at the end. Net result is basically a super plush 160mm that doesn't blow through the travel.  I also have a softer negative spring to throw in and that may change things up too.

Sept. 8, 2019, 11 a.m.

Do it and report back. 

I’m on a G16 29 w/offset bushings. I have something like a 61°HTA. I’m also sitting with 502mm Reach and a very upright STA. YMMV. 

Or look into offset bushings. They’re a lot cheaper for the pair, easier/quicker to install and more to play around with.

Sept. 8, 2019, 9:42 p.m.

As you are not changing your STA I suspect the climbing might be alright.

Lowering the HA kicks out the fork, which slightly lowers the BB and steepens the STA. 

It's not much, but a definite positive compared to over forking. 

+1 for the works headsets, I have one in a hardtail and it's all for the better.

Sept. 17, 2019, 5:33 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

looking at the geo on your Django, the Warden is sitting 2 slacker so I can see how adding the angleset to your Django made an improvement. I'm not sure if going down to 64 is worth it tho considering I like tech climbing, I'm worried the front end will get a bit too floppy.

I'm on a GG Smash with 20mm longer than stock fork and -1 deg Works Component headset. So at ~64 deg HTA. Took a moment to get used to slacker front end. Now it feels normal. I love my techy climbs as much as my techy descents. I haven't had any issues at all going up or dealing with tighter Van Isle trails. I would say the stock bike had better handling feel on tamer terrain, but the new setup is a lot more confident going down techy steeps and the cost in terms of handling isn't a big deal and I am happy with the change to the overall ride of the bike.

Last edited by: Vikb on Sept. 17, 2019, 5:33 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 17, 2019, 7:03 p.m.

thanks for the feedback

Sept. 17, 2019, 10:27 p.m.

Wondering if you have put in an angleset yet? One of my frames just cracked and the build is a few years old and will swap onto one of the sale Warden's perfectly. I was curious how long a fork are you running?

Sept. 17, 2019, 10:47 p.m.

Wondering if you have put in an angleset yet? One of my frames just cracked and the build is a few years old and will swap onto one of the sale Warden's perfectly. I was curious how long a fork are you running?

I haven't done it yet and I'm running about 165mm up front so probably sitting at 65°. I don't necessarily find myself wanting a slacker front end but am intrigued by the potential benefit. As an example I have no qualms with the last rock face on Empress or similar features, but recognize that a bit more slack will make those things a bit smoother/easier. I guess the conundrum is that I've never really been one into the idea of buying skill by changing components just to make things easier. Since I've been riding the Instinct I got a few months back I've noticed that some sections of trails are a bit easier than on my old 26" bikes and it bothers me a bit that the bike has dumbed down the trail to an extent. I can compensate for that to a degree by say leaving the seat up higher, but I still have that nagging notion in the back of my head that something is easier due to the bike, and not my improved skill or riding technique. Oddly enough there are a couple of sections that are actually harder on the Instinct due to the bike being taller overall. I might try the offset bushings first as has been suggested simply because it's an easy mod I can do at home.

Sept. 19, 2019, 9:22 p.m.

Just picked up one of the sale carbon warden's. Going to run it with 150mm 29er up front. It will raise the front end to about 175mm height - should put the HTA around 65degrees I suspect. By my calculations, if I run it in the slack geo, the BB will end up at 344mm. I figure the seatpost will probably end up around 73.5 which is slacker than I would like but similar to everything else I own. It's got 15mm longer reach than I am used to so I can probably slam the seat fairly far forwards. Anyways, I am pretty stocked to see how it rides. Hopefully it will be done next week.

Sept. 19, 2019, 9:34 p.m.

Just picked up one of the sale carbon warden's. Going to run it with 150mm 29er up front. It will raise the front end to about 175mm height - should put the HTA around 65degrees I suspect. By my calculations, if I run it in the slack geo, the BB will end up at 344mm. I figure the seatpost will probably end up around 73.5 which is slacker than I would like but similar to everything else I own. It's got 15mm longer reach than I am used to so I can probably slam the seat fairly far forwards. Anyways, I am pretty stocked to see how it rides. Hopefully it will be done next week.

nice. so that's going to be a mullet bike then? I have mine in the slack setting and have the seat pushed a bit forward, on all but the steepest climbs the SA is not an issue and it's pretty rare that my bash guard makes any contact in the lower setting. There's the odd pedal strike but that's mostly because I'm lazy and not paying attention  to ratcheting my pedals a bit when necessary. 

the biggest thing I've been surprised about with the warden is the climbing traction, especially in techy stuff. there have been times where it felt like someone was pushing the back wheel up and over stuff.

Sept. 20, 2019, 9:39 p.m.

I'm so stoked! Bike should be ready tomorrow. I'll post some pics and put up an impression. I'm going to take some measurements, do some algebra and try to figure out where the angles actually sit. From everything I have heard and what you right above, my expectations are pretty high but I suspect it will live up to them.

Sept. 21, 2019, 6:22 p.m.

Just built up my new Warden 150F/155R Mullet. In slack the BB height is 345 (same as high setting non-mullet). HTA is probably 65deg. STA is what it is.... but it climbs well - probably 73.5-74 deg. Quick ride today after work, really impressed with the ride. Probably a steeper STA would be better but for a sale frame, I'm not complaining.