An open letter against online retailers

Feb. 19, 2011, 9:42 a.m.

If a co cant eng a bike to use all standard (common readilly avail metric or standard) hardware, then its poor design in my eyes.
Similar to how Fords use metric and standard. I mean get it together already.

I can jump and turn my bars.

Feb. 19, 2011, 11:01 a.m.

Furthermore, this is why I respect companies that use standard hardware.

I'm pretty sure I had a mild stroke when I read this. It's just that asinine a statement. Kind of like saying, "I prefer to wipe my ass with sandpaper rather than Charmin"

It's just doesn't make any sense!

Feb. 19, 2011, 8:40 p.m.

also, the "shift" key on my keyboard is broken.
damn.

You do know that there are two shift keys on a keyboard? ;)

It's not just bike parts that are cheap online. You can buy a spare battery for a digital camera for $5 on eBay, yet the local camera store wants $50.

I'm pretty sure the local bike shop owners and employees hunt for the best prices for goods they consume, so I don't see why their place of business should be treated any differently. In the end, the shops that do good business will make it.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Feb. 19, 2011, 9:01 p.m.

I'm pretty sure I had a mild stroke when I read this. It's just that asinine a statement. Kind of like saying, "I prefer to wipe my ass with sandpaper rather than Charmin"

It's just doesn't make any sense!

Yikes, I meant commonly available standard metric hardware; NOT SAE.

Me. Car/Web Work. Twitter. FFFFound.

Feb. 19, 2011, 9:40 p.m.

So you are against having a pile of extra tools you hardly use then.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Feb. 19, 2011, 11:35 p.m.

So you are against having a pile of extra tools you hardly use then.

I'm all for having them, I'm very against needing them though.

Me. Car/Web Work. Twitter. FFFFound.

Feb. 21, 2011, 7:57 a.m.

ah, gotcha.
It's like fizic said, Ford uses metric and standard, and they're a pain to work on.

:lol:

You do know that there are two shift keys on a keyboard? ;)

I've never actually used the left shift key, and after so many years of hitting the right one, I tend to forget that it exists.

I'm getting there though. I now have caps where caps should be!

:rocker:

March 13, 2011, 1:30 p.m.

It's not just bike parts that are cheap online. You can buy a spare battery for a digital camera for $5 on eBay, yet the local camera store wants $50.

Yeah, a counterfeit battery that will explode in your face. There is a TON of counterfeit merchandise on eBay that looks just like the real thing but is actually shit.

Plenty of legit deals too, they're just harder to find.

Don't settle for anything less than brass nipples.

-sanrensho

March 13, 2011, 3:29 p.m.

I've never actually used the left shift key, and after so many years of hitting the right one, I tend to forget that it exists.

type "A" for me.

March 13, 2011, 4:12 p.m.

Yeah, a counterfeit battery that will explode in your face. There is a TON of counterfeit merchandise on eBay that looks just like the real thing but is actually shit.

Plenty of legit deals too, they're just harder to find.

More exploding batteries have been sold as quality batteries (Sony) than what's on eBay.

I just purchased a couple replacement batteries for the iPhone. $10, and they're OEM.

type "A" for me.

:lol:

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

March 14, 2011, 9:58 a.m.

while I buy most of my parts from my LBS, I can't hate on CRC, some brands are just not available over here (chromag etc.), so online orders are my only resort for these parts

March 14, 2011, 11:41 a.m.

I didn't read all this thread… But it was getting derailed, so I'll bring it back a little.

How about An open letter against money hungry canadian distributors who've cornered the market?

Sign me up! That's the biggest issue with product pricing in the canadian bike industry today.

Support the LBS first.

Definitely support your LBS if you want to see it there in the future. My last bike would have cost more going through CRC than it did with buying at NSBS! Plus I get free tune ups til it dies… Can't beat that.

I am single handedly destroying the local bike shops.

There's many hands doing that…