An open letter against online retailers

Feb. 6, 2011, 12:45 p.m.

I have a hard time imagining 3 shops in a row didn't know what an E-Type front derailleur was. What those shops probably meant was "you're an idiot, why are you trying to put a front derailleur on a purebred DH bike?"

They said E-type but it had clearance issues and wasn't a great way to do it. Also required me to get a different chain guide set up which wasn't in the budget. I love my f-der on my socom during the winter so I can whip my ass into shape.

If the bike store was thinking I was an idiot I guess they lost out on a sale, making them the real fucktards.

Feb. 6, 2011, 3:59 p.m.

They said E-type but it had clearance issues and wasn't a great way to do it. Also required me to get a different chain guide set up which wasn't in the budget. I love my f-der on my socom during the winter so I can whip my ass into shape.

If the bike store was thinking I was an idiot I guess they lost out on a sale, making them the real fucktards.

So uhhhhhh, believing a manufacturer's statement about f. derailleurs, and wanting you to have the right thing rather than just sell you something to make a quick buck makes someone a fucktard hey?

Me. Car/Web Work. Twitter. FFFFound.

Feb. 6, 2011, 4:02 p.m.

For example how to put a F-derailleur on a socom, 3 shops said impossible

They said E-type but it had clearance issues and wasn't a great way to do it. Also required me to get a different chain guide set up which wasn't in the budget.

….ohhhhhhhhh.

Me. Car/Web Work. Twitter. FFFFound.

Feb. 6, 2011, 4:20 p.m.

On a side note, I've always thought that having some sort of program which allowed mechanics to gain "tickets" in different aspects of bicycle repair is needed.

Imagine as a customer, walking into your LBS and seeing above the mechanics bench, a certificate in advanced bicycle repair, hydraulic brakes, forks/rear shocks, wheel building, etc.

Now all of a sudden, those shops that employ the guys with the tickets can offer premium service and bill the customer accordingly. Going the other way, those shops that hire kids for min. wage yet charge the same price for a tuneup as everyone else won't be able to fool the customers for very long.

You'd see skilled people actually stick around in the industry instead of giving up after a few years when they realize they will never make more then $20/h and it gives the kids that want to get into the industry a chance. So many kids come into the shops looking for jobs but they have zero experience so their resume's get thrown out. It would be nice if there was some kind of avenue for them to gain experience.

transition bikes

Feb. 6, 2011, 4:55 p.m.

….ohhhhhhhhh.

Interference with the swing arm made E-type a non option as well as the cost. Found the real option and bought it of CRC for less than half the cost including shipping and taxes. Now a happy user of a double on a socom. It may not be "correct" but especially in the off season it makes my only bike more versatile.

Feb. 6, 2011, 6:47 p.m.

On a side note, I've always thought that having some sort of program which allowed mechanics to gain "tickets" in different aspects of bicycle repair is needed.

Imagine as a customer, walking into your LBS and seeing above the mechanics bench, a certificate in advanced bicycle repair, hydraulic brakes, forks/rear shocks, wheel building, etc.

Now all of a sudden, those shops that employ the guys with the tickets can offer premium service and bill the customer accordingly. Going the other way, those shops that hire kids for min. wage yet charge the same price for a tuneup as everyone else won't be able to fool the customers for very long.

You'd see skilled people actually stick around in the industry instead of giving up after a few years when they realize they will never make more then $20/h and it gives the kids that want to get into the industry a chance. So many kids come into the shops looking for jobs but they have zero experience so their resume's get thrown out. It would be nice if there was some kind of avenue for them to gain experience.

http://www.thecyclingexperts.co.uk/cytech/

Nothing over here though, as far as I am aware.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Feb. 6, 2011, 7:34 p.m.

Wasn't there a training program about 12 years ago in the Lower Mainland. Government sponsored that trained people to be bike mechanics?

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Feb. 6, 2011, 8:33 p.m.

UBI
http://www.bikeschool.com/

They are in Portland [HTML_REMOVED] Ashland Oregon. I've met a few people who have taken courses there.

Feb. 6, 2011, 11:28 p.m.

Man, this conversation is pretty irrelevant. The business lost to the internet geeks is pittance compared to the business gained generated by the masses to don't hang out on the internet all the time. The model isn't flawed. It's business, and many hands will want a piece of the pie. Just because an item is more expensive elsewhere doesn't mean you're getting robbed blind, it represents what that seller needs to do to make a living.

Shops that go out of business claiming it is because of internet vendors are probably the same shops that didn't know which segment that was more important to cater to: the regular averge joe, who doesn't care about the internet, crc, and bargain hunting.

Feb. 7, 2011, 12:10 a.m.

DH bikes don't keep the lights on. comfort bikes with a kickstand, pannier rack, fenders, front and rear lights, bottle cage, bottle and a helmet are what keeps the lights on for shops outside the "halo" of north van-i-tude.

Check my stuff for sale!

Feb. 7, 2011, 12:38 a.m.

Something like this?

http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?p=2470748#post2470748

Posted via Mobile Device

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

Feb. 7, 2011, 6:02 a.m.

Man, this conversation is pretty irrelevant. The business lost to the internet geeks is pittance compared to the business gained generated by the masses to don't hang out on the internet all the time. The model isn't flawed. It's business, and many hands will want a piece of the pie. Just because an item is more expensive elsewhere doesn't mean you're getting robbed blind, it represents what that seller needs to do to make a living.

Shops that go out of business claiming it is because of internet vendors are probably the same shops that didn't know which segment that was more important to cater to: the regular averge joe, who doesn't care about the internet, crc, and bargain hunting.

This is what I was wondering about. I always thought the shops made their money on the cheaper bikes. Losing sales on high end parts likely isn't a huge concern.

Feb. 7, 2011, 8:27 a.m.

All great points but I still struggle to understand this…

How is it that a LBS owner is not allowed to benefit from these great online deals but the customer is?

The true hardcore riders really don't make shops rich, your right. It's the 10min full tunes and the addition of accessories on lowend bike sales that bring in the dough, but losing a piece of the pie for an LBS is like your boss coming in and telling you no more overtime. Any way you cut it, it's gonna hurt at the end of the day.

As for the certification thing….so in all of canada, there is one, maybe 2 shops(or chain) that is pushing this idea. It looks like in the UK, they are way ahead of us. They have mechanic schools, racers, online purshasing rules….just no mountains.

transition bikes

Feb. 7, 2011, 8:43 a.m.

As for the certification thing….so in all of canada, there is one, maybe 2 shops(or chain) that is pushing this idea. It looks like in the UK, they are way ahead of us. They have mechanic schools, racers, online purshasing rules….just no mountains.

I think people forget that outside Vancouver, there really aren't many people in BC. The UK market is vast compared to Canada, and people ride all year around, hence being more 'advanced'.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Feb. 7, 2011, 10:15 a.m.

All great points but I still struggle to understand this…

How is it that a LBS owner is not allowed to benefit from these great online deals but the customer is?

The true hardcore riders really don't make shops rich, your right. It's the 10min full tunes and the addition of accessories on lowend bike sales that bring in the dough, but losing a piece of the pie for an LBS is like your boss coming in and telling you no more overtime. Any way you cut it, it's gonna hurt at the end of the day.

Online retailers operate on a completely different business model than the LBSs. This is a known, regularly accepted fact within the industry. There's a market for web buyers that evolved over time and the cycling retail industry branched out and ultimately split up to cater to this demand.

As for the piece of the pie argument, trust me when I say it's small and inconsequential. It might seem like a poor business objective to ignore that side of the market, but one could counter that given a limited amount of capital and labour, a shop is better off to focus on more profitable sources of revenue.

Most shops feed their high end sales with lower end sales. This keeps the "core" vibe in the store with all the cycling bling for the old timers and geeks, while the average joe funds the endeavour. Average margins.