Amy I crazy?

May 17, 2020, 8:10 p.m.

I tried the 153 and never felt comfortable on it. I was hoping I liked it. I rode both the previous Process model. And I really liked them. It climbed really well. But on the downs I could not get comfy.

May 17, 2020, 8:41 p.m.

Lots to think about. I think I would love a knolly fugivite, but I don't have a 157 hub and don't feel like buying one.

There are lots of trails that the Kona is amazing on. Maybe I should be happy with my 90%. The problem has only come up because my fork bushings blew on my fox 36 on my warden so the Process is "working overtime."

I've never ridden a Chromag so I'm excited about giving that a go.

May 17, 2020, 9:57 p.m.

You say it feels flexy, is that mostly up front or over the whole bike? Could be that you need burlier wheelset or fork or maybe both???

May 17, 2020, 11:09 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

You say it feels flexy, is that mostly up front or over the whole bike? Could be that you need burlier wheelset or fork or maybe both???

I thought it was a decently stiff build,  dvo diamond, Derby carbon AM rims.

May 17, 2020, 11:27 p.m.

The other thing I’d say is learn to enjoy the sketchiness of the flex. Personally I like some fear factor on my rides, helps me really feel alive.

Last edited by: syncro on May 17, 2020, 11:28 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Reason: sp
May 18, 2020, 12:09 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

I've put in almost 400km on it and I like it 90% of the time but every time I take it on steep tech I wish I wasn't riding it.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried raising the bar 20mm (bar or headset spacers) for the steep tech? 

Or otherwise changing the weight balance - narrower bar, running the shock softer, or fork firmer, or dropping the seat more (mechanically after your dropper is bottomed)?

It just reads like you’re fighting your bike but there’s nothing in your build that stands out as an Achilles’ heel.

May 18, 2020, 8:25 a.m.

Posted by: AndrewMajor

I've put in almost 400km on it and I like it 90% of the time but every time I take it on steep tech I wish I wasn't riding it.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried raising the bar 20mm (bar or headset spacers) for the steep tech? 

Or otherwise changing the weight balance - narrower bar, running the shock softer, or fork firmer, or dropping the seat more (mechanically after your dropper is bottomed)?

It just reads like you’re fighting your bike but there’s nothing in your build that stands out as an Achilles’ heel.

Some good points. I wonder if the bike rises during braking. I had a bike that would brake jack. When it got steep and you grabbed brake. It caused the rear suspension to lock-out and rise. A floating rear caliper helped huge. Mind you this was 20ys back.

As for one all -around bike. I don,t think it,s possible. You will always have some compromises. But that being said. Today,s bike are the best at being versatile.

My current 150/120mm 29er . Has destroyed all my PR,s I set on the downs. With my Entourage and my Process 167. That being said even though I can set a new PR . It,s not as easy of a bike to ride in the rough.

Bike are a tool , sometimes ya just need the right one for the job. Much like tools , one is not enough LOL.

May 18, 2020, 11:14 a.m.

Thanks for all the great advice - it's really helpful.

The bike is a process 134. I have a dvo diamond set to 150 and a carbon wheelset on it along with a bza bar and renthal apex stem - nothing flexy.

I've put in almost 400km on it and I like it 90% of the time but every time I take it on steep tech I wish I wasn't riding it. I demoed a hightower and preferred the kona despite the hightower being stiffer and more playful (can't explain that).

One of the owners of my LBS is going to let me try their rootdown - if it's instant love affair, I think my decision will be clear. Maybe if I was 30lbs lighter I would love this Kona but at my size it feels like it is being pushed past it's limits.

What aspect of the bike feels like it's being pushed past its limits? Maybe it's the shock. I had a Wreckoning whose stock RS shock absolutely sucked. Then I replaced it with an OEM Fox X2 which also sucked balls. Then I got the X2 properly tuned for the bike and everything literally came alive. 

I'm 230lbs so most air shocks suck for most things. Especially shorter travel bikes that come with even smaller shocks - they carry less air, less oil, smaller internal parts, etc plus the added challenge of sealing against a heavier rider's higher pressures. But buying a new shock for a bike, that's 'maybe you should be considering a new bike' level expense. A new shock is a long term commitment to that bike.

That all being said I'm on a super progressive hardtail now full time and am totally fine with it.

May 18, 2020, 10:22 p.m.

Going up on the auction block. It was great to hear all the ideas here - many of them were already addressed in the build or I had tried so that helped me be more confident in my decision. There is lots I really like about the bike. The suspension feels amazing and the ride quality is sublime. It has a very natural feel when riding. I don't think I really wanted a full sus 29er. I like the big wheels on a hardtail but I think I prefer the small wheels on the big bikes.

May 22, 2020, 1:04 p.m.

Lots to think about. I think I would love a knolly fugivite, but I don't have a 157 hub and don't feel like buying one.

There are lots of trails that the Kona is amazing on. Maybe I should be happy with my 90%. The problem has only come up because my fork bushings blew on my fox 36 on my warden so the Process is "working overtime."

I've never ridden a Chromag so I'm excited about giving that a go.

Just curious why you don't just fix your fork and keep riding your Warden? I went from a Warden C to a fugitive, and I like it better 95% of the time. On extremely steep and tight trails I think the Warden is better, but the fugitive isn't far behind.

May 22, 2020, 10:17 p.m.

I have a bit of a bike problem, so there are always a few options. The Knolly is getting fixed but I wanted to try a wagon wheeler as they are all the rage and I'd never tried one with modern Geo. Turns out I like to size down, not up (frames and wheels).

I took out one of my LBS owner's rootdown  and it was fun. The parts will all directly swap over so I think I'll give that a go.

May 23, 2020, 9:19 a.m.

I really want to try a Forbidden Druid. And a Nicolai Saturn SP

May 24, 2020, 7:40 p.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

I really want to try a Forbidden Druid. And a Nicolai Saturn SP

Black's Cycle in Comox has druid demo bikes I believe

May 26, 2020, 10:50 p.m.

Posted by: taprider

Who is Amy and does see like that you are crazy?

Did we ever find out if Amy thought he was crazy?

#amywhataboutRAH's29ergeometry