Alternatives to 29er Pikes...

Sept. 24, 2016, 6:50 p.m.

top secret LBS 2017 catalogue with photos labelled 'confidential'. seriously. i guess Norco isn't ready to deliver so isn't showing them to the public yet.

who decides what is 'better'? what would make them better? different geometry? lighter? more travel? AFAIC the sub 160 travel space is where 29ers shine most and it's the Sight two nine that intrigues me. i continue to be surprised at how little overall press or reviews the Pivot Switchblade has. most compelling wagon wheeler out there IMO and i don't even like Pivot

dude at the LBS told me they will be carbon only for the 29" Sight and Range when they are released the start of 2017 . the Sight peaks my interest as well if they keep similar geo to the 27.5 model , the Range IMO is gonna be racked out like the Slash and the new Slayer , to me they are lightened up park bikes and I want a trail shredder for up and down

#northsidetrailbuilders

Sept. 25, 2016, 8:50 a.m.

https://www.ohlins.com/product/ohlins-rxf-36/

wonder what the price is in Cdn pesos.

Wow. BOOTEEK fo' shizzle!!

"I'm addicted to surfing."

Sept. 25, 2016, 12:47 p.m.

Will the Range be 29 only?

From the teaser vid it looks like there's a big and a small wheeled bike…

Sept. 25, 2016, 3:14 p.m.

been told there will be both versions for both Sight and Range and that the 29 will be carbon only where the 27.5 will be aluminum and carbon choices and there will be framesets :)

#northsidetrailbuilders

Sept. 25, 2016, 8:12 p.m.

been told there will be both versions for both Sight and Range and that the 29 will be carbon only where the 27.5 will be aluminum and carbon choices and there will be framesets :)

Partial bummer, but I suspect that the carbon Range 29 will be a gravity race oriented sled, hence the carbon variant goes first.

Sept. 25, 2016, 10:04 p.m.

Partial bummer, but I suspect that the carbon Range 29 will be a gravity race oriented sled, hence the carbon variant goes first.

yeah I would think it,s inline with the new SLASH and SLAYER then a trail killer , the new SIGHT I think will be a very fun ride

#northsidetrailbuilders

Sept. 27, 2016, 10:12 a.m.

After spending far too much time thinking about it I want for another set of Pikes.
I loved them until they died and didn't fancy the bigger offset and basic damper in the on the Yari.

In the end I couldn't justify the extra cost of MRP or DVO.
Fox even a "mates rate" price came out at a lot mor than the Pikes.

I'm also still trying to figure out how plausible it would be to run a 160mm Yari with an aftermarket open bath damper (Avalanche specifically in my case), as a competitive offering to those.

Seems too good to be true that for a bit less than the price of a Pike that I could run a Yari, replace the MC damper with an open bath one ($125), and even tack on the MRP Ramp token replacement setup ($150) and have a Lyrik chassis with aftermarket damper [tuned for my fat arse] and the better ramp control, and be basically only missing out on the larger mechanical negative spring from the Lyrik… I suspect I'm missing something, but it's too cool sounding to ignore, especially since the Nukeproof Mega290 Race would be an acceptable value on sale for frame/fork even writing off every other part on the bike.

Nov. 10, 2016, 1:50 p.m.

dude at the LBS told me they will be carbon only for the 29" Sight and Range when they are released the start of 2017 . the Sight peaks my interest as well if they keep similar geo to the 27.5 model , the Range IMO is gonna be racked out like the Slash and the new Slayer , to me they are lightened up park bikes and I want a trail shredder for up and down

Well, this is looking increasingly likely to be the case. I suspect that suspicions/rumours that Blenky took a 29er Range to the top of the podium in Port Hills are probably spot on; that would appear to be a Fox36/X2 kitted version.

Nov. 10, 2016, 11:03 p.m.

Are you sure that the Yari doesn't have the bigger neg spring?

Nov. 11, 2016, 12:33 a.m.

Not sure which shop you go to but carbon will be in 29 and 650b… aluminum will be available in both as well. Or, do you mean that the Alu version will be later than the carbon for the 29ers? Alus are already out in 650b.

The 29er versions run 10mm less travel font and rear for the Range 170/160mm for 650b and 160/150mm 29er; I forget the Sight but I think it follows the same formula 150/140mm 650b and 140/130mm 29er. I wouldn't bet on the Range being too racked out either… from what I recall the HA was slightly steeper for the 29er, between 0.5-1 degrees… they'll be having demo days from what I heard last and you can actually ride the bike before coming to a conclusion…

Also, depending on the size, it'll be released at different times; pretty sure that earliest is January/Feb for the Med/Large then XL and last release is the small size. Forget dates.

Nov. 11, 2016, 10:47 a.m.

Not sure which shop you go to but carbon will be in 29 and 650b… aluminum will be available in both as well. Or, do you mean that the Alu version will be later than the carbon for the 29ers? Alus are already out in 650b.

The 29er versions run 10mm less travel font and rear for the Range 170/160mm for 650b and 160/150mm 29er; I forget the Sight but I think it follows the same formula 150/140mm 650b and 140/130mm 29er. I wouldn't bet on the Range being too racked out either… from what I recall the HA was slightly steeper for the 29er, between 0.5-1 degrees… they'll be having demo days from what I heard last and you can actually ride the bike before coming to a conclusion…

Also, depending on the size, it'll be released at different times; pretty sure that earliest is January/Feb for the Med/Large then XL and last release is the small size. Forget dates.

That could be I was only passing off the info I was told .

They told me that the 29" models where "ONLY" carbon .

That being said the last time I made a inquiry they played stupid with answers like what 29" Range and Sight we know nothing about them .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Nov. 11, 2016, 11:58 a.m.

It appears the FOX 36 RC2 is now available in BOOST.

Is the FOX BOOST axle system any different than their QR15 system? Their website like many cycling sites leave a lot to be desired. Like not listing A2C measurements…

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Nov. 12, 2016, 7:28 p.m.

This all makes entirely too much sense. I'd probably be buying a 29er range sight unseen, but if the 'whatever it takes to make an acceptable but cheap' build in the carbon frame line comes with a 160mm Yari, and other clyde friendly kit in XL, I'll be all over that.

A SuperDeluxe/Yari/Reverb/GX/Guide build should fit the bill there.