Advice on Titanium Hardtail - all opinions welcome.

Nov. 25, 2019, 8:55 p.m.

I wouldn't go back to steel after riding Ti Hardtails for the last 4 years or so. I had a canfield Nimble 9 before and it felt like an anchor in comparison. I'm sure there are some nice steel hardtails, I just never owned one. For me, steel was either heavy or flexy (I'm a big guy mind you). My Lynskey is a nice combo of light and stiff. A made in Canada Steel Cromag is $1900. I got my made in Tennessee Ti Lynskey for $1500. In the last 5 years, I have broken 3 made in china hardtails (each in about a year or less). In my mind it isn't a very hard choice but I don't think I would pay $3000+ and it isn't for everyone. I'm not a big fan of extra fat tires as I roll them off the rims unless I am running huge pressures. With 2.4-2.5 tires I run around 23psi in the back and 20 in the front and I definitely like having a compliant frame as well. It's nuanced, but certainly perceptible.

I managed a bike shop back in the late 90's and raced around that time as well. Titanium was the lusted after material. The durability, quality and understated looks of well made titanium frame is timeless. I could never afford Ti when I was in my 20's but 20 years later I treated myself and never regret it.

Nov. 27, 2019, 3:36 a.m.

So many  of the 'trail' hardtails are so overbuilt they're like the DH / Dirtjumpers of old and the ride reflects it. There are a couple of steel options that  ride light and lively similar to Ti, and in my experience the way each frame is put together can mean it's hard to compare Ti and Steel from different builders.

Nov. 27, 2019, 6:47 a.m.

A YT channel I watch recently had a bunch of demo rides on hardtails at OuterBike Moab. A steel frame was the most comfortable/lively feeling and the Ti frames were stiffer. You can make steel or Ti or even AL ride stiffer or softer depending on the tubes selected and the frame design. It tough because frame flex is one of the characteristics I care the most about in a hardtail right after geo, but unlike geo it's very hard to evaluate without a test ride. A frame with the "right" amount of flex for my 195lb/medium levels of fury on a large frame isn't going to be what my 120lb GF with low levels of fury on a small frame would want.

Best you can do without a demo is find some online reviews from people close to you in frame size/weight and leg power and try and guesstimate how you'll like it. Frames tend towards overbuilt/too still in my experience so it's a hunt for a frame with more flex generally.

My last hardtail I finally got a custom steel frame built and nailing down the "right" amount of flex was one of the things I made sure the builder knew was really important to me. The bike rides really well, but of course going custom is $$$ compared to a production steel frame.

Last edited by: Vikb on Nov. 29, 2019, 5:16 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 27, 2019, 8:38 p.m.

Agree with the above statements. Its true that you can build frames that ride similar to each other from different materials but not exactly and not at the same weight. A ti and steel frame that have similar flex properties will not be the same weight. if you can afford ti, I'd recommend it over other materials but nothing wrong with a well made steel bike. I've never heard anyone complain about their cromag.

Nov. 28, 2019, 11:52 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

but of course going custom is $$$ compared to a production steel frame.

$250 usd for full custom is fairly enticing: 

https://www.marinobike.com/producto/custom-hardtail-mtb-frame/

I've seen one of his builds in the flesh, and while not dekerf quality, they do look solid. i'd be all over this if i were building a new ht.

Nov. 28, 2019, 2:35 p.m.

My Waltly ti full custom frame was around $800US and Is seriously perfect. Highly recommended though who knows what Chinese industrial aerospace-military consortium really owns them.

http://www.waltlytitanium.com/

waltly titanium frame

Last edited by: craw on Nov. 28, 2019, 2:36 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 28, 2019, 3:06 p.m.

Posted by: xy9ine

I've seen one of his builds in the flesh, and while not dekerf quality, they do look solid. i'd be all over this if i were building a new ht.

damn you

Nov. 29, 2019, 5:21 a.m.

Posted by: xy9ine

Posted by: Vikb

but of course going custom is $$$ compared to a production steel frame.

Marino is a great deal, but I'm not sure you'll get the same level of customization in tubes/flex as with a domestic builder and if you do it won't be at that price. I'm generally not worried about how the tubes are welded together. I'm worried about selecting the right tubes to get the feel I am after.

Marino may be able to do that, but the Marino built bikes I've seen ride feedback on were on the overbuilt stiff side...just like most production steel frames. That's easier, cheaper and less likely to fail/cause problems so it's not surprising that's where frames end up most of the time.

In other words not all custom options are equal.

All that said even if they are on the stiff side Marino frames are cheap and allow you to test out geo non-mainstream ideas without a big price tag.

Last edited by: Vikb on Nov. 29, 2019, 5:23 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Dec. 1, 2019, 7:53 p.m.

Am I too late?

https://m.pinkbike.com/photo/17026098/#cid10364336

I'm struggling to link the actual photo from my phone. Will fix this later.

Last edited by: jon on Dec. 1, 2019, 7:55 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 1, 2019, 8:08 p.m.

Posted by: jon

Am I too late?

https://m.pinkbike.com/photo/17026098/#cid10364336

I'm struggling to link the actual photo from my phone. Will fix this later.

nice

just open the image in a new tab, copy the url, click on the image tab in the editor box here and then paste in the link and you should be good.

Dec. 1, 2019, 9:06 p.m.

Holy shit. Beautiful bike, beautiful backdrop.

I see your bike is on their website. Which frame is it?

Build?

Dec. 1, 2019, 9:42 p.m.

Jesus that’s a great looking bike. 

What is it? I dont recognize it.

Dec. 1, 2019, 9:49 p.m.

Posted by: Ddean

Jesus that’s a great looking bike. 

What is it? I dont recognize it.

Corvid Dirtsurfer

https://www.corvidcycles.com/

Dec. 2, 2019, 9:46 p.m.

Thanks Syncro. Yep it's a Corvid Dirtsurfer. Never been so happy with a bike. Custom frame with sagged geometry of 65 deg HA and 76 deg SA. -35mm bottom bracket drop, 342mm chainstays, 490mm reach blah blah blah.

Built with XO1 Eagle, Canecreek Helm, EEWings, 110 headset, White bottom bracket, Traction Control Industries stem and bar, WeAreOne Agent rims laced to Hope hubs.

I particularly love how low that top tube is, makes the bike super easy to throw around. Add in the titanium ride where it somehow feels forgiving but also responsive and accurate, and you have a steep technical trail scalpel.

If you are at all toying with a ti frame and want something custom the definitely give Chad a call. Awesome builder to work with.

There are about 6 of these frames under riders in the PNW now and for good reason.

Last edited by: jon on Dec. 2, 2019, 9:46 p.m., edited 1 time in total.