Advice needed on single speed gravel bike setup

Aug. 6, 2020, 8:04 a.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

Is it super kooky to road ride with a gravel bike? Or is it generally acceptable? 

I can’t deny the value in a mass produced bike. GRX Di2 components. 

Looking to acquire a gravel bike but unsure if I’ll keep the road bike. N+1 is getting a little out of hand + expensive.

If the bigger tires have enough space wouldn't be an issue. Get some flared bars and voila. My gravel bike has the 105 groupo on it. Rode it all spring / summer in the muck and it worked fine. I really see no need to shell out for a gravel bike specific drivetrain. Then again I haven't rode a bike with the GRX but wonder what would be the difference?

Aug. 6, 2020, 1:18 p.m.

Is it super kooky to road ride with a gravel bike? Or is it generally acceptable? 

Looking to acquire a gravel bike but unsure if I’ll keep the road bike. N+1 is getting a little out of hand + expensive.

just call it allroad and everyone is happy :p

Aug. 6, 2020, 1:19 p.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

If the bigger tires have enough space wouldn't be an issue. Get some flared bars and voila. My gravel bike has the 105 groupo on it. Rode it all spring / summer in the muck and it worked fine. I really see no need to shell out for a gravel bike specific drivetrain. Then again I haven't rode a bike with the GRX but wonder what would be the difference?

hoods are WAY different, also brake lever pivot on di2 grx is way higher than on all mechanical shimanos

Last edited by: Sethimus on Aug. 6, 2020, 1:20 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 6, 2020, 2:16 p.m.

I think its kosher. I have limited gravel bike experience but when I was trying out a stigmata I took it on one of my common road routes. It had fairly fast rolling gravel tires. Cruising wasn't bad, a little more work but i could maintain a decent speed around 30k./h comfortably. The real difference i found was in the top end. Part of my route involves a 8km time trial with a net negative 1 percent grade. I can usually push 46-50kph on this segment and on the gravel bike getting above 40 was a lot of work. One of my favorite parts of road riding is going fast (or trying to at least). Gravel is more about exploring. Personally I wouldn't lose the road bike but if all you want is to put some miles under your belt, gravel would be fine IMO.

Aug. 6, 2020, 6:37 p.m.

Posted by: Sethimus

Posted by: Brocklanders

hoods are WAY different, also brake lever pivot on di2 grx is way higher than on all mechanical shimanos

The GRX braking is different, but having ridden the Ultegra Di2 hydro, and non series shimano hydro to XTR XC calipers a lot, I don't think you'll have an issue with any  set up. The power is awesome, and a gravel tyre has a lot less traction than an MTB tyre.

The only time cx / grav bikes can be difficult on the road with others is high speed - whether flat or descending. They often track differently due to COG and geo (let along braking differences) so I'd tend to say if you're descending with  roadies give them space.

So far as 'do you need a gravel set up?'. Is road groupsets were good enough for all of Sven Nys' career, then no. Any group with the gear range and braking  you like will work just fine.

Aug. 6, 2020, 9:28 p.m.

Posted by: Sethimus

just call it allroad and everyone is happy :p

Yeah. Was really into the Naked All-Road frame up until I thought about the whole price. 

I’m noticing for for 2021 the bikes have Shimano GRX Di2 instead of the 2020 models having Ultegra Di2. 

Currently riding a generation or two ago TCR Advanced. 25s need to be deflated to fit between the callipers. Pretty race Geo with high gearing. No room for fenders. ¯\(ツ)

Aug. 6, 2020, 9:35 p.m.

Also, when is Yeti going to drop a Switch Infinity Gravel frame? 

Seems like they’re leaving Dentist money on the table.

Aug. 7, 2020, 5:38 p.m.

Not a dentist bike but a few new bargan parts with a bunch of old stuff and voila!

36x16 is as tall as I want for the steeper climbs and spins nicely at 28-32kph. That worked put better than expected. 

Purchased clark brakes for 35$ for two Noakes and rotors - cant get them to stop rubbing so wondering if I'm going to regret that. I'll try to bed them in and see how I'm doing. Aside from that it worked out well and fits nicely.

Thanks for the advice everyone!