Advice: Enduro vs all-mountain bike for the shore

Dec. 28, 2017, 9:36 a.m.

I'm 6'1 and I'm exclusively on 29ers as of this fall.  I have two, an Enduro 29 and a Chromag Rootdown.  Both have relatively short chainstays which contribute to maneuverability.  I'm not going to pretend that it isn't different than on a small diameter wheel but it's not as big of a difference as its made out to be.  After a few rides you get the hang of it and it's as if you weren't riding anything different, except when you come up to obstacles, which are now easier to roll over confidently. 

If Comor is keeping up with the demo program that Different bikes had going, you should be able to pick up a 29er for a test ride, see if you like it.  You can also ask your LBS if they are selling any of their demo bikes, which usually sell at a discount and come with warranty.

Dec. 28, 2017, 10:20 a.m.

Side note: if you're seriously looking at Rocky, and want a deal, go see if Endless Biking has any rental bikes for sale.

Last edited by: rnayel on Dec. 28, 2017, 10:24 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 28, 2017, 3:52 p.m.

Isn't Enduro just All-Marketing redux?

Dec. 29, 2017, 2:28 p.m.

Thank you everyone so much for the responses.

After going back to the bike shops, John Henry seems to have talked me into an ex-demo 2017 Range 7.3 that has been ridden less than 10 times for $4100 (plus tax and pedals). Allegedly it was nearly $6000 new, so this seems to be the best deal available considering it comes with a full warranty. I decided to go with this over an all mountain bike because it seems like I get more bike for my money, especially comparing it to any 2018 model at that price. I considered waiting until the season starts to try out some bikes before I buy one, but by then all of the deals on 2017 bikes will be gone, and I'll likely be stuck paying more for less bike, or rolling the dice in the used market, but I think I've had enough problems with warranty-less second-hand bikes for one lifetime.This bike is really similar to my old bike in that it's carbon, has aggressive geometry, 11-spd, but the range has got a bonus 10mm of travel, and updated components. I think I'm going to be happy with this bike, but if anyone has anything to say about this bike before I pull the trigger (positive or negative), please let me know!

Dec. 29, 2017, 7:23 p.m.

That sounds like a good plan!!! Go get it first thing tomorrow AM and take it out in the afternoon. It should be a nice weekend!!!!

Drop post. Point bike downhill and stay off the brakes and you’re going to love what these enduros can plough thru.

Dec. 29, 2017, 7:53 p.m.

I'm obviously very biased as I'm trying to sell my bike, but I feel like my Slayer with a better spec, lower price and adjustable geometry is a better deal than the Range: https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2304615/

Otherwise, that Range seems like a fine bike. The Yari fork is the only question mark for me, but I think you'll enjoy it either way.

Dec. 29, 2017, 9:41 p.m.

I know that you're not looking for a "used" bike, but Dangerous^ is a stand up guy and awesome rider. Id buy a bike from him myself, otherwise the Range with the warranty is as good a choice as any.

Dec. 29, 2017, 11:04 p.m.

Go get it first thing tomorrow AM and take it out in the afternoon. It should be a nice weekend!!!!

Thanks, that's the plan! Hopefully I can find some trails that aren't snow and ice-covered! (thinking of hitting some Wutang laps, but idk how snowy that's gonna be, any suggestions?)

I'm obviously very biased as I'm trying to sell my bike, but I feel like my Slayer with a better spec, lower price and adjustable geometry is a better deal than the Range

Thanks for the offer DangerousDave, and it does look like a really good deal and it does seem to be in very good shape, but considering problems I've had in the past, even with reputable sellers, companies will deny any warranty if you're not the original owner, even with receipt in hand. Also I'm kind of in a weird financial situation in which I'm going to be financing this bike since I haven't sold my old bike yet, and I'm returning to school next week. If I were to buy a used bike, I wouldn't be able to buy it now since I don't currently have all the cash in hand, and I likely wouldn't be able to find a deal like the one this shop is offering me when I get back in Febuary or April, and you're definitely going to sell that bike before then. Good luck on selling that thing, looks like you've already got quite a few people with their eyes on it!

Otherwise, that Range seems like a fine bike. The Yari fork is the only question mark for me, but I think you'll enjoy it either way.

The shop I'm going to says they can upgrade the Yari to a charger damper (effectively turning it into a Lyrik) for about $200, so I'll probably do that in the summer when I'm working.

Last edited by: Rock_it_science on Dec. 29, 2017, 11:19 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 30, 2017, 9:23 a.m.

My guess is that Wutang should be good.

I walked UTC and BLT a few days ago and BLT was pretty deep and not that rideable past the exit of UTC, but UTC itself was ok to ride (a few inches). Wutang would have had a lot less and its been raining and warmer and so the snow is certainly less. Eagle Lake Access Road is plowed, you might have to deal with some snow between the gate and Wutang, but it should be ok!
Have at 'er and enjoy the new ride!!!!

Dec. 31, 2017, 10:02 a.m.

Good call on the Range as well as the fork upgrade.  I went through the same dilemma last summer.  I have a Dh bike for whistler and most of Cypress (cherry, sex girl, 5th as well as the east side trails) and I also had a Transition Patrol (medium frame) for Fromme and Seymour.  Could not decide what to get to replace the Patrol, which had many, many days on it.  

In he end I got a large Patrol aluminum frame (2017 vintage, not the new SBG 2018) and  built the bike up with new and old parts (sold the old patrol M bike complete).  The choice for me was perfect.  I got the longer reach and wheelbase by going up a size, but otherwise the bike is perfect.  

The Range has 10mm more travel in the front as well as 5mm more in the rear than the Patrol but otherwise very similar.  It should be a great choice.  Gotta love having the end of year deals at JH.

Cheers

Dec. 31, 2017, 11:06 a.m.

I recently purchased a 2017 Range with a Yari fork & was interested to read the advice about a fork upgrade. I may just do that. Like people say, I am surprised what this bike can plow thru.

Thread killer