A Romic/shock Question...

March 27, 2008, 5:31 p.m.

So I know Romic has gone bye bye, but I got such a smokin deal on a T2 to fit my 4x4 that I couldn't pass it up.

Problem is that the bushing/spacer that goes between the small links on the rear end (read: not the frame mount, the linkage mount) is too wide and oddly enough the diameter for the bolt is too small.

My question is this, are these sleves pressed in, and how hard do you think they would be to scrounge up? My other option (and this may be my best bet…) is to just have a machine shop drill out the sleve and cut it off on either end.

This rig got quite a few new goodies this week. I got a Marzo 55 for it and this Romic. It's probably going to end up being a second bike seeing as I'm looking to buy a Bottlerocket, but I have just loved this bike so much and it's never let me down (it's an old 02 4x4 btw) PLus for alot les money than a new rig right now I can have this bike to rip up Post Canyon for half the season untill I decide on my new Bike.

Cheers and No Worries

Dave

Stupidity…For me it's job security ;)
D.King: EMT-I / FF1 / Swiftwater Rescue Tech
:scotland:

March 27, 2008, 5:37 p.m.

I just ran into the same thing. I just filed down both sides and drilled the hole bigger. Romic is the same size at Fox so your lbs might have something laying around if you don't want to ghetto it. They're in tight, but not pressed. Just stick it in a vice and wiggle the shock back and forth until they come out. If you file it make sure both sides are even or the shock won't sit right and puts side pressure on the shaft.

March 27, 2008, 5:43 p.m.

Thanks mate, I've got access to alot of tools (my dad's a bit of a tool freak) namely a chopsaw and a drill press so I may just go that route. The spacers that go over the sleve fit from my old Fox shock so there's a great guide for cutting right there.

Cheers

Dave

March 27, 2008, 5:51 p.m.

I read your post completely wrong, you're talking about the metal shaft that goes between the rear suspension linkage. That one should just come out if you tap it gently. Don't scar it up in a vice or it might damage your du bushings when you put it back in. You should be able to just hack off one end to suit the length and drill it out on the press.

March 27, 2008, 6:04 p.m.

The first Generation fluid had a romic on some of them. When the fluid was more freeride oreinted.

March 27, 2008, 6:05 p.m.

Yeah, that's the piece. It really feels like it's in there and it aint gonna budge. I'll try taking it out like you sugested cause it'd be nice to make 1 cut and just drill it. Plus, with the outer spacers, it can be a bit rough and it'll still line up.

Wait, if what you're saying is true, couldn't I just use the one off the Fox that came off :???: They're the exact same OD, but the romis just has a smaller hole and a wider spacer… TO THE BAT CAVE TO INVESTIGATGE!!! :lol:

Ive got another DU bushing so if I muck it up I'm covered

Cheers

Dave

March 27, 2008, 6:50 p.m.

The first Generation fluid had a romic on some of them. When the fluid was more freeride oreinted.

I LOVED the first Gen Fluid. THe white and orange one… I'd love to have that extra inch of travel out back, but I really don't need it. With as groomed as alot of these trails are getting and as good as the tranny's are, the rear sus is more of a comfort thing any way.

Cheers

Dave

March 27, 2008, 6:53 p.m.

oh yes, and I forgot… I tried getting the sleave out of the DU bushing/end of the shock. That's a no go so I may just ask my LBS and see if the can swap it out. They probably have a better set-up than what I'm working with eh.

Cheers

Dave

March 27, 2008, 8:27 p.m.

oh yes, and I forgot… I tried getting the sleave out of the DU bushing/end of the shock. That's a no go so I may just ask my LBS and see if the can swap it out. They probably have a better set-up than what I'm working with eh.

Cheers

Dave

have you tried some softjaws on a vise and a BFH?

Check my stuff for sale!

March 27, 2008, 9:01 p.m.

have you tried some softjaws on a vise and a BFH?

Admitedly, I have not really goten at it with as big a hammer/mallet as I'd probably like to. That and I need a new Bench to attach the vise cause it's feeling a little rickety.

I'll try untill I feel like I'm going to screw it up… go a little farther…screw it up… and then cry about it… Ahh I can see it now. :duh:

Cheers

Dave

March 27, 2008, 9:49 p.m.

Actually one of the best ways to get hardware out is to clamp them in the vice and then use a long screw driver of pedros Dh tire lever for leverage under the shock and just pry against the vice. This gets the hardware off with little to no marking and it's fast and easy.

.:NSTP:.

March 27, 2008, 10:34 p.m.

Actually one of the best ways to get hardware out is to clamp them in the vice and then use a long screw driver of pedros Dh tire lever for leverage under the shock and just pry against the vice. This gets the hardware off with little to no marking and it's fast and easy.

:???: Please clarify, so I put the sleve in the vice and then I pry where??? As in put the shock in the vise by the sleve horizontaly and then pry verticaly against the shock and the vice top? Thanks for the advice.

Cheers

Dave

March 28, 2008, 7:28 p.m.

SUCCESS!!!!!

Well, I got my wheel back early, got my steerer cut and after getting over to my folks to use my dads far superior shop I got my Shock sleve switched. Good day so far, it's all back together, and I've given it the street bounce test. So far the new Romic feels ALOT more progressive and stiffer than the old shock that came out. With the added length up fornt it steers a little "floppier" but I can't wait to get it out on the trail this weekend.

Now I need to find some lit on the ROmic cause I haven't even touched the Rebound or compression settings.

Cheers

Dave

March 28, 2008, 9:20 p.m.

Ok…..Romic is still around…just not selling shocks any more, they will still do warranty work from what I hear…and tune their shocks. I wish I could find the link to where I read this…hmmm.

Anyway…I ran a custom tuned romic for years…and LOVED it…

Edit…here is some info…not the thread I read originally though:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=389868[HTML_REMOVED]highlight=romic

March 28, 2008, 11:26 p.m.

Ok…..Romic is still around…just not selling shocks any more, they will still do warranty work from what I hear…and tune their shocks. I wish I could find the link to where I read this…hmmm.

Anyway…I ran a custom tuned romic for years…and LOVED it…

Edit…here is some info…not the thread I read originally though:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=389868[HTML_REMOVED]highlight=romic

Thanks mate, that's the kind of stuff I need to know about this thing. And I hate to sound retarded, but but which is rebound and which is compression? Is it the same color wise as Fox? And good to hear that I'll still be able to

It was funny, I have been looking around for a coil shock in 6.5x1.5 for this thing and wasn't coming up with much except for air shocks. I hapen to be in picking up my fork and other goodies and it was just sitting there in the case. Random dumb luck is my favorite kind ;)

I am just AMPED up for the trails to dry out a bit. Since I injured my shoulder last year I haven't really been riding much, but boy oh boy I'm back in the saddle again and it feels great. to make it even better a couple of the Doc's I work with in the ER live in Hood river right near Post Canyon so I've just gained a few new riding buddies which is always great. Sorry for the hijacking of my own thread, but again I am STOKED to ride this year.

Cheers

Dave:rocker: