9Point8 stem failure

July 4, 2022, 8:57 a.m.

FWIW my 9point8 40mm stem failed while attempting a tech climb on my Hardtail. The stem was only a few months old, and was torqued to spec. It cracked on both clamps near the bolts.

Contacted 9Point8 and all they did was send a new clamp. I was surprised they didn’t want to investigate the old clamp, or at least see the failure for themselves. Maybe that’s not standard procedure for stem manufactures? I’ve never had a stem fail before so I don’t know. Nevertheless it didn’t make me feel that they take stem failure seriously, and I’ve lost all confidence in the their stem.

July 4, 2022, noon

If it makes you feel any better LTP did the same thing when my Thomson face plate cracked.

Last edited by: thaaad on July 5, 2022, 9:10 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 5, 2022, 7:31 a.m.

Watched a guy next to us do a drop at Whistler and break his bars clean out of the stem. 

Why manufacturers feel the need to shave a few grams off of stems of all places is beyond me.

Even if it's not outright failure, the difference in stiffness between an ultraight stem and a reasonably heavy stem is stark.

Anybody remember the demo setup Syntace had at Interbike? Handlebars attached to a variety of stems that you could wrench on.