9point8

Oct. 17, 2016, 9:26 p.m.

Just got my new longtravel 200mm 9point8 in the mail. Stoked!

I've been on an XFusion Hilo and HiloSL 125 for a while on a couple bikes.
No issues, have done regular maintanance easily, just wasn't long enough.

Will install and ride. :)
So looking forward to not having to adjust the post at the collar anymore at the start/end of climbs…

The best things in life all start with the letter B
Hooray for: Bacon, Bikeys, Boobies, Boards, and Beer!

Oct. 17, 2016, 10:11 p.m.

200mm!! i'm stoked for you, that musta set u back a few bucks eh. give a review w pics when you've got some rides on it.

Oct. 18, 2016, 12:51 a.m.

How f'ing tall are you?

Just under 6'7" here and a 150mm Lev seems to do me fine. Am I missing out?

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

Oct. 18, 2016, 9:15 a.m.

lots of people like to ride their saddle low and lots of people don't have their seat up high enough when pedaling. I'm 5'9 and use 170mm of post.

:canada:

Oct. 18, 2016, 9:20 a.m.

lots of people like to ride their saddle low and lots of people don't have their seat up high enough when pedaling. I'm 5'9 and use 170mm of post.

Do you run flats or clips JW?

A (maybe) interesting aside is that my friends most interested in longer travel (150-200mm) droppers mostly run flat pedals.

My friends who are quite happy with their shorter drop posts ([HTML_REMOVED]150) and don't feel they are missing anything exclusively run clips.

I have a reasonable number of rides on a 150mm 9Point8. Quality and function are both very nice. I like that they sell all the small parts direct.

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Oct. 18, 2016, 10:37 a.m.

How f'ing tall are you?

Yes. I got a 170mm Reverb this year after a 150 LEV. That extra couple cm's makes a surprising amount of difference.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Oct. 18, 2016, 10:41 a.m.

Wouldn't the "amount of post" your using not be directly related to size of bike (stand over)?

I find that the seat angle on my bike precludes me from getting optimum height as the seat angle is a bit to slack…. Why don't bike companies alter seat angle with size of bike? It's obvious that an XL frame needs a steeper seat tube angle as chances are somebody tall is going to be running a long post.

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

Oct. 18, 2016, 10:44 a.m.

Do you run flats or clips JW?

Flats… Shaums March told us when we are going dh, to have the seat the same level as your kneecap and use your inside of knee to help steer. one of the best pieces of advice I've ever got.

:canada:

Oct. 18, 2016, 7:21 p.m.

This is making me question whether I should stay on the waitlist for a 150mm dropper from 9pt8 or get a 175mm for my Patrol build (frame is a L and I'm 6ft even with a 32 inseam)

Curses!

Oct. 18, 2016, 8:06 p.m.

This is on my do-everything AM hardtail I built.
It sees pedally epic XC days, as well as shuttled DH chunkiness, I just sometimes swap wheels or tires out.
Had a 125mm dropper on it before, and still had to adjust at the collar 3" from where I had it all the way up for pedalling, to all the way down for DH.
125mm + 3" = 8" dropper needed.
I'm 6'1", but have sillylong legs. I've been looking awhile for an 8" dropper. Tried to get a Rase and Vecnum previously, but both companies had issues with supply.
Was stoked to learn about the 9point8 when they announced it, have been waiting for this for a while.

Here are some pics.

Initial setup was a bit finicky to get cablelength set, but now that I've done it once I can set up the next ones super easily.
At first there was a little bit of noise/slippage on the seatpost mechanism, but after resetting it (hold the lever for 10 seconds) and actually using it a bit on the first ride, no issues, works perfect. Just had to get settled in, I guess.
Remote lever positioning is awesome, very versatile unit.

I love it.
I'll usually have the saddle set somewhere in the middle of it's travel for trail riding, but it's good to know I have full extension for pedalling to the trailhead or for extended climbing on fireroads. And it's nice to have the full drop for gravity days or adventurous DH shenanigans.

The best things in life all start with the letter B
Hooray for: Bacon, Bikeys, Boobies, Boards, and Beer!

Oct. 18, 2016, 8:16 p.m.

How f'ing tall are you?

I have observed that the emergence of the 150mm+ dropper post came about at the same time as the 'new' geometries started showing up. The new LLS (Long, Low, Slack) geometry seems to come at the expense of really short seat tubes.

Oct. 18, 2016, 8:46 p.m.

The 9point8 looks to be a quality piece of equipment. The want is strong, just unsure if I can or will stomach the price compared to some of its competitors. FOX/Thomson/Easton…

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Oct. 18, 2016, 9:40 p.m.

I have observed that the emergence of the 150mm+ dropper post came about at the same time as the 'new' geometries started showing up. The new LLS (Long, Low, Slack) geometry seems to come at the expense of really short seat tubes.

Not at the expense of but rather in conjunction of the release of longer travel posts. The "lower" portion refers to the lowering of BB heights, not standover.

Oct. 18, 2016, 10:15 p.m.

Not at the expense of but rather in conjunction of the release of longer travel posts. The "lower" portion refers to the lowering of BB heights, not standover.

By my calculations the 'low' seems to refer to stack as well (except for a few notable exceptions like the Evil Wreckoning and the new Rocky Slayer).

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Oct. 18, 2016, 10:30 p.m.

When the reach to the bar is super long (like on a typical endurbro bike), it's harder to get right behind the saddle on the steeps. I noticed this on a bike I borrowed a while back. The saddle was always in the way, even though the saddle height was similar to my own bike.

treezz
wow you are a ass