9er rubber for wet wood

Sept. 24, 2011, 8:12 p.m.

he he. so Clarkie started a good tire thread, one of many as ya'll get restoked on riding for the fall in the typical PNW sunshine.

with the more limited offerings of 9er rubber, just wondering if anyone has favs for the damp season. personally, i don't believe in any miraculous one option, i realize i'm going to slip and slide (tee hee again, i'm well in touch with my inner pre-pubescent boy today…) on the wet stuff, but there must be some good/better options.

currently i have a Panaracer Rampage on the front- excellent large volume tire, love it. sadly according to the Panaracer website, it's a std rubber offering, unlike the SC compound for the 26" which is supposed to offer superior grip. why it's not in the 9er version i don't understand.
got a Spec Captain control 2.1 on back, great tire with really no complaints, but it's lowish volume. seems a great allrounder, but i have limited experience with others.

any opinions on confidence inspiring 9er tires for the damp season?

Sept. 24, 2011, 8:19 p.m.

don't know if out yet but minions always a good bet.

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Sept. 24, 2011, 8:44 p.m.

he he. so Clarkie started a good tire thread, one of many as ya'll get restoked on riding for the fall in the typical PNW sunshine.

with the more limited offerings of 9er rubber, just wondering if anyone has favs for the damp season. personally, i don't believe in any miraculous one option, i realize i'm going to slip and slide (tee hee again, i'm well in touch with my inner pre-pubescent boy today…) on the wet stuff, but there must be some good/better options.

currently i have a Panaracer Rampage on the front- excellent large volume tire, love it. sadly according to the Panaracer website, it's a std rubber offering, unlike the SC compound for the 26" which is supposed to offer superior grip. why it's not in the 9er version i don't understand.
got a Spec Captain control 2.1 on back, great tire with really no complaints, but it's lowish volume. seems a great allrounder, but i have limited experience with others.

any opinions on confidence inspiring 9er tires for the damp season?

Strahan on the board here did a bunch of research. The end result was a Specialized Purgatory 29x2.2 with dual compound rubber (65/55a). Their 2.2 is pretty large also.

Sept. 25, 2011, 12:16 a.m.

I rode a 29er with dual 2.2" DTC Nevegals. I was impressed with the levels of grip those tires offered up. Supposedly the DTC is 60a down the middle with 50a shoulder knobs. The tires on the bike I was using measured in much softer however.

Biking: As addictive as cocaine, twice as expensive!

:safrica: - :canada:

Sept. 25, 2011, 7:30 p.m.

you can measure durometer???

Sept. 25, 2011, 8:32 p.m.

you can measure durometer???

tim's got a durometer-meter

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Sept. 25, 2011, 8:42 p.m.

minions when they're out

Sept. 25, 2011, 9:12 p.m.

Don't think we'll be seeing Minions any time soon.

If you're looking for good XC mud tires the Maxxis Beaver is awesome. It's a bit narrow at 2.0 but it sheds mud like nothing else and the rubber compound is great for roots and decent on woodwork.

Sept. 25, 2011, 9:58 p.m.

I've had only one wet day so far with the continental mountain kings, but I was pretty happy with them.
I also liked the WTB velociraptors, but I don't thing they make them anymore.

Sept. 26, 2011, 6:24 a.m.

Minion 29'er will be out soon.

Sept. 26, 2011, 6:38 a.m.

Minion 29'er will be out soon.

Probably will be late spring 2012 at the eariliest. That also goes for the High Roller II 26x2.25 and 29x2.25, both of which will also be available in a SuperTacky flavor.

Sept. 26, 2011, 8:15 p.m.

i'll give the Beav a go, ordered today. considered the Nev, strangely, the order book at the LBS showed only the stick-e option, while the Kenda website shows only the DTC, hmm. the Nev sticke is impressive, if boring and std, on my Reign x, i can see why almost everyone runs them. also compared the Purgatory, but the performance and the super light weight of the Beav sounded too good to pass up, i'll give it a go. my 29er (Stumpy fsr) has limited clearance back there anyhow, so may not be able to handle much bigger. i don't know much about making tires, but it does seem curious that Maxxis would develop and produce the Beaver but only in one size. i guess they see it as a low volume niche tire?