66 SL ATA problems

Dec. 24, 2006, 12:39 p.m.

leggat, were you charged for the repair??? I would really like my 66 ata to feel better as well. I don't seem to be able to get the nice squish without having either too much dive or too firm and deflect off rocks [HTML_REMOVED] stuff. The issue is that I don't want to shell out more $$$ after shelling out for a top end fork.

I don't know if you've done this, but the trick that I find is to put just a tiny bit of air in the RC2 side of the fork. This tends to give the fork a little bit more progressvity and controls the mid stroke a bit better helping reduce the brake dive.

When i mean a tiny bit of air, I really mean a tiny bit. I put in something like only 4 or 5 strokes from my shock pump.

Leggatt: now that the fork is fixed, are your pressure settings more in line with what's been mentioned in the MTBR thread? i find that I'm running 30-45 psi below the Marzocchi recommended settings.

Cheers!

Noel

www.knollybikes.com
ph: (604) 324-6635
fx: (604) 324-6482

Dec. 24, 2006, 1:30 p.m.

I've been ripping a 2006 66SL for a while now, and found that the marzocchi recommended air pressures are way, way off.

At first I thought they cocked up their unit conversion from KPa to psi or something, but it turns out they are just way off base.

I usually work on the pressure in the RC2 leg only - finding the balance in positive and negative pressure is the key for small bump sensitivity and performance through the travel. Then add pressure to the bottom out chamber for the big ones.

Dec. 24, 2006, 2:24 p.m.

I don't know if you've done this, but the trick that I find is to put just a tiny bit of air in the RC2 side of the fork. This tends to give the fork a little bit more progressvity and controls the mid stroke a bit better helping reduce the brake dive.

When i mean a tiny bit of air, I really mean a tiny bit. I put in something like only 4 or 5 strokes from my shock pump.

Leggatt: now that the fork is fixed, are your pressure settings more in line with what's been mentioned in the MTBR thread? i find that I'm running 30-45 psi below the Marzocchi recommended settings.

Cheers!

Noel

Yup, they are pretty much bang on what the guys over at MTBR are running now. It is a really nice feeling fork, even when not broken in. I will be playing with the pressures a little on my own to get it set up just the way I want.

Dec. 27, 2006, 10:13 p.m.

Have you taken the fork out for a ride since your date with Naz?

Dec. 27, 2006, 11:40 p.m.

Have you taken the fork out for a ride since your date with Naz?

Hey, you must be at work this week.

Yup, after I picked it up i took it for a quick burn down pipeline on fromme. It is a sweet ride for sure.

May be hitting Seymour on Sat. the 30th.

Dec. 28, 2006, 9:36 a.m.

Hey, you must be at work this week.

Yup, after I picked it up i took it for a quick burn down pipeline on fromme. It is a sweet ride for sure.

May be hitting Seymour on Sat. the 30th.

yes, i'm working - but i'm not sure for how long, it's looking like nice riding weather…

I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying the fork. Do you still have some sticktion or is it all worked out?

I would love to ride but I well, um, we actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, [HTML_REMOVED] Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time. [-thanks "old school"]

…any other day…:(

Dec. 28, 2006, 3:02 p.m.

yes, i'm working - but i'm not sure for how long, it's looking like nice riding weather…

I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying the fork. Do you still have some sticktion or is it all worked out?

I would love to ride but I well, um, we actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, [HTML_REMOVED] Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time. [-thanks "old school"]

…any other day…:(

Hey SdB:

The "stiction" of the 66SL1 ATA is perhaps noticeable in a parking lot test (or a "drop the front end on the pavement test"), but on the trail it's really a non-issue. I've got an 888 RC2X World Cup on my other bike which could be considered to have the "least amount of stiction" from a factory fork and while the difference between the 888WC and the 66SL1 ATA is noticeable, on the trail the 66SL1 ATA is still an excellent fork capable of serious riding.

Apart from a couple of QA issues that are affecting a few of the 66SL1 ATA forks (leaking ATA top caps), this fork really is a good as the reviews suggest. In fact, I would say that the 2007 Marzocchi air forks (AM1 SL, 66SL1 ATA and the 888SL1 ATA) are the first air suspension products that are truly starting to push into coil sprung performance. The reason is not just "plushness" though - it's the fact that these new air forks have the damping dialed throughout their travel. The 06 Marz forks lacked a bit of mid stroke compression damping, as do the current generation of Fox forks and rear shocks as well as the Rockshox air forks. Don't get me wrong - the Fox 36 and DHX air products are really good and the Rockshox stuff is going to be great as well. However, the 2007 Marz air forks are really, really, really good.

Sure, it's still not quite coil performance, but they are 1-2 pounds lighter weight and have adjustable travel. Pretty cool in my book :)

Cheers!

Noel

www.knollybikes.com
ph: (604) 324-6635
fx: (604) 324-6482

Dec. 28, 2006, 5:38 p.m.

Noel, I couldn't agree more- I think the air forks are great! I am running a Z1 sl and I love it. I did notice a break in period of a few trail hours with my fork.