5.10 Shoes 50% Off...

Jan. 12, 2023, 7:58 p.m.

Posted by: trumpstinyhands

Playing Devils Advocate (as I own six pairs of Five Ten shoes (!) so am set for the next 3 years, and I don't work for a business that sells Five Ten but....), I'd be pissed if I owned a business selling Five Ten. Not only will their faces get rubbed in the dirt by people going into the store to try shoes on for size and then not buying, they'll also have the issue of Adidas selling current product at significantly less than the dealers paid for the same product through distributor channels. 

I see a future where the only face-to-face retail businesses will be farmers markets where you can purchase 'artisan' carrots.

I had similar thoughts to this as well. 

LBS going to need to survive on hard good sales and quality service going forward (be harder with SWerx/S4/RMR/Ion2 doing suspension servicing/sales.)  Seems like the brands/distributors LBS carry are actively against the LBS; yet these same brands/distros are also against product being bought out of country. 

5.10 offered free shipping/return shipping during this 50% off sale as well.  I ordered many pairs; and passed the deal onto friends.

Jan. 13, 2023, 7:41 a.m.

Of the MTB riders I know very few were aware of and took advantage of this short lived sale. Of 5.10 wearing riders I'd break them down into two camps 1) folks that are never going to pay full MSRP and know how to hunt down deals 2) folks that buy their shoes in a store and want to hold them in their hands and try them on first. LBS are not selling shoes to the first group unless it's during a sale and Adidas online store is not selling shoes to the second group. So I don't think a short sale like this hurts a LBS all that much.

True story I sent the link to a friend and she got back to me to let me know my account had been hacked and was sending out fake shoe sale links. ;-)

Last edited by: Vikb on Jan. 13, 2023, 7:42 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 13, 2023, 2:53 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Of the MTB riders I know very few were aware of and took advantage of this short lived sale. Of 5.10 wearing riders I'd break them down into two camps 1) folks that are never going to pay full MSRP and know how to hunt down deals 2) folks that buy their shoes in a store and want to hold them in their hands and try them on first. LBS are not selling shoes to the first group unless it's during a sale and Adidas online store is not selling shoes to the second group. So I don't think a short sale like this hurts a LBS all that much.

True story I sent the link to a friend and she got back to me to let me know my account had been hacked and was sending out fake shoe sale links. ;-)

I'm mostly of the first group, and picked up a pair on this sale only because I was paying $55 for a regular $130 shoe that I don't need right now; they will replace a pair a few years down the road. So no money out of a LBS pocket any time soon but my thrifty upbringing was unable to resist.

Jan. 14, 2023, 9:55 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Use Code Holiday. Free shipping.

https://www.adidas.ca/en/men-mountain_biking-shoes?fbclid=IwAR29AkSVOqQBD0Zq5O2PNLRhNHvBfzG3aBnIzSWmIKlBHLDMuKfqKK8Iy8Q

Hey Vikb, 

Forgot to thank you for the heads up! Already have a backup pair for me and my son, but couldn't pass up that deal. We're set for shoes for awhile now!

Jan. 15, 2023, 5:03 a.m.

Posted by: Ouch

We're set for shoes for awhile now!

Right on. I'm glad you got some.

Jan. 16, 2023, 5:35 p.m.

FWIW I heard about the sale on 17th November so could have been on before then. It wasn't a short lived sale.

Jan. 21, 2023, 5:30 p.m.

The 5.10 sale lasted until 2023 and it started in Nov. Also there was the SportChek 40% off sale.  Either way I inquired with a LBS about 5.10s at full pop then saw the 5.10 sale a few days later.  

At least 4 friends got in the deal after I let them know.

Also; Big Specialized is running a 20% OFF Flash sale on their site today until Midnight for everything excluding bikes and frame.  FLASH20 is the code. Get some 2FOs

Jan. 27, 2023, 10:24 a.m.

I took a gamble on a set of the trailcross mids - they're pretty damn good. The cuff takes a little getting used to, part of me thinks I should have gone for the goretex version but they also look like they'll dry out really fast. 

Adidas/5:10 have really made it feel like a comfortable sneaker shoe on my foot. What was also really apparent was how much I preferred the grip of the 5:10s and how much more locked in it felt.

I was previously on a pair of Ride Concept Hellions because they felt like a much more comfortable shoe in comparison to the freeriders I had,  but the sole grip was substandard in comparison like the rubber just never got soft - and this is on a set of Daggas.

July 7, 2023, 8:17 p.m.

Hey, if anyone is still interested in 5.10s, I just found another sale at Live to Play. https://shop.livetoplaysports.com/

Decent selection plus some climbing shoes if you prefer to cling to a rock instead of ride your bike.

July 10, 2023, 6:59 p.m.

^ Have LTP got a Direct To Consumer option now? Looks like it.

July 11, 2023, 7:35 a.m.

thanks, just grabbed a pair of impact pro's for $100 shipped

July 11, 2023, 11:44 a.m.

I got small feet so I had to order from my LBS, the 5.10's took months to show over the winter, the LBS told me she had to keep an eye on the web site for a  size 7

I like the shoe lots of toe room and I put an extra in-sole in the shoe for a snugger fit

Last edited by: XXX_er on July 11, 2023, 11:50 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
July 11, 2023, 2:01 p.m.

Posted by: DanL

I took a gamble on a set of the trailcross mids - they're pretty damn good. The cuff takes a little getting used to, part of me thinks I should have gone for the goretex version 

Run a SealSkins sock in them for more flexibility.  Saying that the TC GTX are close to the ultimate flat shoe IMHO.

July 15, 2023, 11:18 a.m.

That's what I've decided as well after riding in them constantly since they arrived. I'll just buy the GTX and then have the option of having shoes I can rotate.
I wish I hadn't spent the money on a set of freerider pros even though they were on discount and saved the money

I was looking at the low version, but I like having the d3o around my ankles.

July 19, 2023, 1:57 p.m.

^after spending the fall/winter in the GTX and Freerider Pro Autism Editions my ankles feel super exposed in the TC Lows. Bonus points for looking like an absolute Jerry/Middle Aged Suburban Dad anywhere not near my bike now.