5.10 Adidas Trailcross LT early review

July 24, 2020, 10:15 p.m.

Haven't seen a lot of feedback on these but was really curious about them and ended up buying some yesterday after I added another tube of Goop to my 510 Freeriders. Figured I would document it a bit for anyone else interested. The fit is more like a runner which is comfortable, thin material all around but with well-padded heel-cups to keep the foot down. Still playing with lacing at this time but no real bit issues. 

So far I am impressed. I rode them on a rental bike at silver star (Megatower, OMG fun) for their maiden voyage so didn't have the best pedals but this wasn't an issue, typical 510 grip. Had a solid mix of dh laps and some pedaling and they were good on both. I broke my  rightfoot years ago and always struggle with that fine balance of stiff, but not too stiff, soles without getting pain or numbness -- these seem to strike that balance. They don't have the sole padding of the Freerider Pros but it doenst seem to matter on drops or jumps. 

Also got into a full monsoon and while they did not keep my feet dry they don't absorb like typical skate style shoes. Drying them right now in a boot dryer but don't think it will take long. Longterm longevity is obviously not known now but will report any issues. The hightop version with neoprene cuff are on my radar for shoulder season riding. 

It's nice to have the 510 grip without the 510 skate shoe issues.

July 24, 2020, 10:25 p.m.

Where the fuck did you find them???

I wanted to buy them, but absolutely no one had any in stock, online or not.

July 24, 2020, 10:31 p.m.

ya that's the other issue. FM are they hard to find. I got them at Sun Country Cycle, in Vernon, my go-to shop. I called them in advance and I think they only just got some in as I have been on their case for a while now. Limited sizing available but they said there were some in stock "out east". Im an 11.5 but all they had was a 12, I hummed and hawed and decided to give it a go anyway. A tad shorted wouldn't hurt but ultimately they were comfortable for the full day riding with no banged toes.

July 24, 2020, 11:08 p.m.

Please keep up the review.  If they're good I'll order them from Tasmania.

July 25, 2020, 5:28 a.m.

I got a pair as well, but I haven't worn them much as I am finishing off a couple older pairs of MTB shoes before I move them into rotation. They've got a light construction with drain holes so I'm thinking they'll be good for summer and stream crossings. They seem even less burly than my OG Freeriders which are the lightest duty MTB shoe I've used. Basically they look like a trail runner with a flat 5.10 rubber sole. So they'll be better for epic adventure rides/bikepacking than smashing DH laps.

Given how hard they are to get I was laughing when I unboxed them because I knew it would take a while to start using them and with 5.10's specialty shoes my routine is buy 'em, decide I love them, try to buy more and find they are discontinued.

FWIW - I got mine at Jenson. They don't seem to have stock now, but are saying they'll get more.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Five-Ten-TrailCross-SL-2020?_br_psugg_q=five+ten+trailcross

Last edited by: Vikb on July 25, 2020, 5:32 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 25, 2020, 8:48 a.m.

Do they offer a hi-top of that shoe? I,m in need of new shoes. Both mine are 5yrs old now. Shimano GR901,s are on the list. I have older AM7,s and they are the bomb in the wet. The lace cover help keep water out.

Damn shoes got spendy LOL. They do have a hi-top. Jensen lists them at $230 CDN. The Shimano are similar price, but the last pair lasted 5yrs. And where my primary shoe. 5/10,s where the back up,s .

Curious to see the durability of the shoes , not much toe protection as well.

Last edited by: DemonMike on July 25, 2020, 9:03 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 25, 2020, 1:57 p.m.

^Yes. They have a high top version that is even more impossible to find. 

I’ll consider riding flats if I can find either version of these. Honestly I’d probably go with both versions.

July 25, 2020, 3:09 p.m.

This thread got me motivated to try out these shoes so I took them on a 12K hike I just did. My bikepacking/adventure rides often feature a fair amount of HAB so I wanted to see how they worked for that. They are definitely the worst fit of any 5.10 shoe I have worn. Not awful, but typically I really like the fit of my 5.10s and I'd walk 30K in them without a second thought. With these shoes I was aware of the less awesome fit the whole hike. I was using my preferred insoles, which work with all my 5.10s no problem as well as all my other shoes. When I got home I tried the Trailcross LTs with the very thin stock insoles and they fit better.  I'll take them out for another hike with the stock insoles in them and see how I like them.

Fit is personal someone else may love their fit.

Aside from the fit the traction was great and they were light and agile as you would expect. Not much support in the low version of this shoe. It was pretty warm out and my feet didn't get particularly hot.

These feel like a trail runner with a bike friendly sole not a mountain bike shoe. If I wanted a shoe just for riding I'd grab something else in the 5.10 bike lineup.

July 25, 2020, 3:57 p.m.

^Thats kinda why I want the low tops. A light biker/trail runner to replace Dead Shit Hawk NorVans

Aug. 7, 2020, 12:24 a.m.

So these are less substanial/burly than a Freerider Pro?

Aug. 7, 2020, 6:18 a.m.

Posted by: grambo

So these are less substanial/burly than a Freerider Pro?

Yes. A light trail runner with a bike friendly sole is the best way I can describe the Trailcross LT.

Last edited by: Vikb on Aug. 7, 2020, 6:18 a.m., edited 1 time in total.