5010 to nomad for the shore

Dec. 4, 2015, 7:08 p.m.

Just moved to Van, have been on a santa cruz 5010 for the past season out in the kootenays where it was great. After riding mostly Fromme the 5010 feels like not enough bike. I would really like to get into the more rowdy and jumping riding. Would upgrading to the nomad kill my climbing? Should I just suck it up and get better riding the 5010….. it is such a great bike.

Dec. 4, 2015, 7:29 p.m.

Get the new Bronson and split the difference?

Dec. 4, 2015, 7:57 p.m.

Don't get a Bronson, get a Nomad. It's by far the best bike in the range.

Climbing is just as efficient as other SC's, weight very simliar to the Bronson, yet massively more capable down.

Then again I think the old 5010 is a complete pile of shite so what do I know :)

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Dec. 5, 2015, 1:59 a.m.

I agree.

Modern trail bikes only have one advantage over enduro long travel bikes: they don't dumb down the trail as much.
So if you've got good gnarly trails, there's no reason to buy a 150mm bike.
You'll end up putting the same components on it anyway.

Climbing, especially fireroads won't be really different.

Get the nomad or something similar.

Dec. 5, 2015, 8:16 a.m.

Just moved to Van, have been on a santa cruz 5010 for the past season out in the kootenays where it was great. After riding mostly Fromme the 5010 feels like not enough bike. I would really like to get into the more rowdy and jumping riding. Would upgrading to the nomad kill my climbing? Should I just suck it up and get better riding the 5010….. it is such a great bike.

What fork do you have on the 5010?

Unless you've already got a burly fork up front swapping in a longer/stiffer fork would probably be all you need as it a lot cheaper than a new bike.

You won't be able to plow chunder on a 5010, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Dec. 5, 2015, 9:41 a.m.

New Bronson is probably the best choice for the wide variety of riding that is on the shore.

Dec. 5, 2015, 9:50 a.m.

ask Bradical he has both a 5010 and a Nomad in his riding fleet and switches back and forth

#northsidetrailbuilders

Dec. 5, 2015, 1:14 p.m.

What/where were you riding in the Koots? I spend a fair bit of time there every year (I have a place there) and to be honest Nelson trails are tech harder than anything Fromme has left to offer. If you were riding everything there on the 5010 you should find Fromme easy.

Dec. 5, 2015, 1:16 p.m.

Don't get a Bronson, get a Nomad. It's by far the best bike in the range.

Climbing is just as efficient as other SC's, weight very simliar to the Bronson, yet massively more capable down.

Then again I think the old 5010 is a complete pile of shite so what do I know :)

I'll disagree with climbing efficiency unless you are just riding up Fromme rd. [IMO]Tech climbs and the Nomad won't keep up and will make you work much harder.

Dec. 5, 2015, 3:02 p.m.

What/where were you riding in the Koots? I spend a fair bit of time there every year (I have a place there) and to be honest Nelson trails are tech harder than anything Fromme has left to offer. If you were riding everything there on the 5010 you should find Fromme easy.

I think you'd be right to say the riding here in Nelson is more tech, high speed, long continuous descents than most of from Fromme but I might be mistaken as I haven't ridden Fromme in…12 years or so since everything looks to have been paved over down there now?

FWIW I have ridden a Devinci Dixon (26" wheels, 5.5" trail bike) here in nelson for the past 2 seasons and before that was on an MK2 Nomad. I don't do much shuttling any more and but still like to ride all the "big bike" trails like Goldmember, Newtsac, Gold Rush, Waldorfian, The Vein etc and aside from walking a few slabs when it's realllly dry and dusty and sketchy I find a short travel bike is pretty good, more options to pick your lines and keeps it fun. I've gotten the hairy eyeball from many guys due to my pinner bike but can usually keep up on the descents and blow past them on pedally sections. It's fun :)

To the OP, have you played with air pressure in your shock, tire pressure etc since moving down to the Shore?
Whenever I go down to the coast on a riding trip the elevation change seems to affect my air pressure settings quite a bit and I need to completely dial in my suspension again to get the bike to feel "right".

Dec. 5, 2015, 3:50 p.m.

I'll disagree with climbing efficiency unless you are just riding up Fromme rd. [IMO]Tech climbs and the Nomad won't keep up and will make you work much harder.

The frame is what? Half a pound more? Fair enough the fork will weigh more but everything else should be equal.

It could be shock valving, Fox EVOL v Monarch Plus, but the Bronson I rode is definitely not as supportive at sag point and almost feels first generation VPP like regressive in the mid stroke. I'd be interested to know if SC had compromised the kinematics by using 5010 links on the Bronson?

Either way I reckon the Nomad would climb within a chaff of a new Bronson but neither bike is a great all-rounder if you actually want to 50/50 climbing/descending? That's where something like a Stumpy/Remedy 29" is on another planet IMO.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Dec. 5, 2015, 5:40 p.m.

The frame is what? Half a pound more? Fair enough the fork will weigh more but everything else should be equal.

It could be shock valving, Fox EVOL v Monarch Plus, but the Bronson I rode is definitely not as supportive at sag point and almost feels first generation VPP like regressive in the mid stroke. I'd be interested to know if SC had compromised the kinematics by using 5010 links on the Bronson?

Either way I reckon the Nomad would climb within a chaff of a new Bronson but neither bike is a great all-rounder if you actually want to 50/50 climbing/descending? That's where something like a Stumpy/Remedy 29" is on another planet IMO.

I was referring not to the weight but the geo - a 65HA vs 67 for example

Dec. 5, 2015, 5:51 p.m.

New or old Bronson?

Also, I would argue it's not about weight but geo and travel. The nomad is decidedly in the big bike camp whereas the Bronson is in the trail bike camp which for pretty much every trail on the shore save for the all out fast stuff on the east side of Cypress.

Dec. 5, 2015, 6 p.m.

Are you riding the north shore for the climbs? Probably not. Go for the better descending option instead of a compromise.

Dec. 5, 2015, 6:03 p.m.

any body had trouble with the vivid air shock?