30mm ID XC/Trail Bike Rims. "Light"

Oct. 4, 2021, 3:42 p.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

Stan's Flow or Arch? Flows might be a bit heavier than your target, but the Arch's are pretty close and at 28.0mm.

Arch are one I am looking at, weight is not bad. They look solid.

Oct. 4, 2021, 8:31 p.m.

I’m planning a new build in the same vein. Right now I thinking DT XM471 (25mm) in the back and XM481 (30mm) front. Strong, light, fast rolling, great cornering. 

I have no idea why most of the wheel brands tend to use the same rim front and back, just makes zero sense to me.

Oct. 5, 2021, 5:42 a.m.

Posted by: JVP

I’m planning a new build in the same vein. Right now I thinking DT XM471 (25mm) in the back and XM481 (30mm) front. Strong, light, fast rolling, great cornering. 

I have no idea why most of the wheel brands tend to use the same rim front and back, just makes zero sense to me.

What tires do you plan to run?

Oct. 5, 2021, 9:15 a.m.

What's you're target total wheel set weight? 

The DT Swiss XM1501 wheelset (the 30mm set uses XM481 rims) comes in at 1760g. That seems about the limit for a 30mm wide aluminum 29er wheelset that does not have some funky kevlar spokes or other exotic wierdness I personally wouldn't want to deal with on a multi-day trip.  

The are expensive in North America but can be had for around $1200 via some of the european sites. 

At  around1850g options widen significantly. 

I built a set of wheels on XM481's with fairly light bontrager hubs I had lying around and Competition Race spokes and squorx aluminum nipples and they were more like 1850g. DT work some magic to get those wheels so light.  

The rear hub dies about 10 rides in so then I cross-shopped a lot of 30mm aluminum 29er wheels as I couldn't face building another set. My goal wasn't absolute lightest weight and I was pissed about the hub failure so I went with Race Face Turbine R at around 1850g. I mainly bought them for the hubs, I really like the vault design. My idea is if I kill the rear rim I'll buy the equivalent carbon rim and appropriate spokes from RF and swap it out. About a season in and so far so good though.

Oct. 5, 2021, 9:38 a.m.

Posted by: Kenny

What's you're target total wheel set weight? 

The DT Swiss XM1501 wheelset (the 30mm set uses XM481 rims) comes in at 1760g. That seems about the limit for a 30mm wide aluminum 29er wheelset that does not have some funky kevlar spokes or other exotic wierdness I personally wouldn't want to deal with on a multi-day trip.  

The are expensive in North America but can be had for around $1200 via some of the european sites. 

At  around1850g options widen significantly. 

I built a set of wheels on XM481's with fairly light bontrager hubs I had lying around and Competition Race spokes and squorx aluminum nipples and they were more like 1850g. DT work some magic to get those wheels so light.  

The rear hub dies about 10 rides in so then I cross-shopped a lot of 30mm aluminum 29er wheels as I couldn't face building another set. My goal wasn't absolute lightest weight and I was pissed about the hub failure so I went with Race Face Turbine R at around 1850g. I mainly bought them for the hubs, I really like the vault design. My idea is if I kill the rear rim I'll buy the equivalent carbon rim and appropriate spokes from RF and swap it out. About a season in and so far so good though.

I have run many XM481 rims and loved them. The front wheel on my Scout is a XM481 and the rear is an EX511. The XM481 is a burly rim but the weight is also good. I was hoping to find a rim like it but a but lighter/weaker. The 29er XM481 is 525g. I could build it up 28h and it would come in around 1850g. 

It looks like the XM1501 has been replaced by the XM1700 as the 1500 series are carbon now.

Oct. 5, 2021, 9:46 a.m.

The Roval wheels like like good bang for buck. DT swiss star ratchet. 

https://www.specialized.com/ca/en/roval-traverse-29-6b-xd-wheelset/p/205476?color=330019-205476&searchText=30121-8600

Oct. 5, 2021, 10:12 a.m.

Kate Courtney and Nino Schuster popularized wide tires/rims with their winning seasons running them, but bike checks I could find all have them running medium width 26mm rims (Syncros Silverton SL's) and not 30mm as you sometimes read. Maybe they meant 30mm outside diameter?

Nino won World's on those 2.4 Aspen WT tires, but the only wide models I see listed are 120tpi casing.

Only reservation I'd have personally about your setup is the 120tpi tires. I've had no luck holding higher thread count tires together. I'm 190 and have gone through a fair number of rear rims so your mileage may vary, but at 29psi I've ripped and pinched 120tpi side walls badly enough to have to bin the tires after the first day out.

Rekon 2.4 with 60tpi casing is worlds more durable...

Also, rim have to be aluminum? Could drop half pound rotational weight and up reliability with carbon...but budget is going to jump ridiculously.

Something like a Nobl TR32 27mm 360g.

...with Rekon WT EXO front and rear.

BC bike race bike checks might be popping up shortly, be interesting to see what Kabush and co. are running.

Last edited by: Hepcat on Oct. 5, 2021, 10:20 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Oct. 5, 2021, 10:48 a.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Kate Courtney and Nino Schuster popularized wide tires/rims with their winning seasons running them, but bike checks I could find all have them running medium width 26mm rims (Syncros Silverton SL's) and not 30mm as you sometimes read. Maybe they meant 30mm outside diameter?

Nino won World's on those 2.4 Aspen WT tires, but the only wide models I see listed are 120tpi casing.

Only reservation I'd have personally about your setup is the 120tpi tires. I've had no luck holding higher thread count tires together. I'm 190 and have gone through a fair number of rear rims so your mileage may vary, but at 29psi I've ripped and pinched 120tpi side walls badly enough to have to bin the tires after the first day out.

Rekon 2.4 with 60tpi casing is worlds more durable...

Also, rim have to be aluminum? Could drop half pound rotational weight and up reliability with carbon...but budget is going to jump ridiculously.

Something like a Nobl TR32 27mm 360g.

...with Rekon WT EXO front and rear.

BC bike race bike checks might be popping up shortly, be interesting to see what Kabush and co. are running.

I have seen a few are following after them. Lots of higher volume miro knob XC tires this year. Carbon 30mm XC are probably a great weight savings. I sadly don't have the budget for such nice things.

I have the all new 2022 Element  C30 due in January. It comes with Rekon 2.4wt MaxxTerra EXO front and back, but I find the Rekon a little underwhelming as a front tire. So I already bought a DHF 2.5wt MaxxTerra EXO for the front.

Oct. 5, 2021, 12:11 p.m.

Posted by: heathen

What tires do you plan to run?

DHF EXO 2.5 front, out back I haven't locked it in. Maybe an Aggressor (summer), Recon or the Spec Ground Control Grid T7 looks like it ticks all the boxes. I'll try it without an insert, but there's a good chance a Tannus will find it's way into the back tire since the high country has lots of pointy things.

Like Hep, I've found I can't reliably do 120 TPI casing, whatever it is will be 60tpi. Compared to what I run right now on my Patrol, this will be nicely light/fast. I'm pretty comfortable doing big days with heavier tires and 170mm, so this should be fun.

But now I hear one of the big paint factories in Taiwan burned down, so who knows if I'll actually be able to find a frame this winter.

Oct. 5, 2021, 2:35 p.m.

I have no idea why most of the wheel brands tend to use the same rim front and back, just makes zero sense to me

Btw, why do you like different width rims front and back?

Oct. 5, 2021, 6:59 p.m.

Front I personally like 29-30mm for cornering support at modest (20-24 psi) pressures, for everything from trail to DH. I have a 32mm trail wheelset, and I like the feel of my 29mm "DH" wheelset better, it's just a little more forgiving blasting through chunk. The 32mm rims seem to really kill side knobs, but maybe it's just me.

Even if they're the same width, the rear rim should ideally be beefier than the front to resist denting (or cracking if carbon). Otherwise you're just porting around unnecessary weight on the front.  Unless your name is Thibaut.

Out back a few mm narrower is nice so the tire rounds out more and rolls faster. Plus, narrower = stronger for the same weight. The 25mm DT rims are a nice width for a lighter/faster rolling rig that can still take some flogging.

If I were DT or WAO and were to design a wheelset, it would have a 30mm front and 27mm rear, with the rear having nice thick sidewalls for durability.  NOBL and Crank Brothers are both doing something like this.

Oct. 6, 2021, 6:53 a.m.

Spank 350’s have been good to me, they’re 535g claimed for the 29”.

Oct. 6, 2021, 7:30 a.m.

Front I personally like 29-30mm for cornering support at modest (20-24 psi) pressures, for everything from trail to DH. I have a 32mm trail wheelset, and I like the feel of my 29mm "DH" wheelset better, it's just a little more forgiving blasting through chunk. The 32mm rims seem to really kill side knobs, but maybe it's just me.

Even if they're the same width, the rear rim should ideally be beefier than the front to resist denting (or cracking if carbon). Otherwise you're just porting around unnecessary weight on the front.  Unless your name is Thibaut.

Out back a few mm narrower is nice so the tire rounds out more and rolls faster. Plus, narrower = stronger for the same weight. The 25mm DT rims are a nice width for a lighter/faster rolling rig that can still take some flogging.

If I were DT or WAO and were to design a wheelset, it would have a 30mm front and 27mm rear, with the rear having nice thick sidewalls for durability.  NOBL and Crank Brothers are both doing something like this.

Makes sense. My brother's XC bike has the Reynolds wheels and they are 30mm front and 28mm rear.

https://hayesbicycle.com/collections/reynolds/products/limited-edition-blacklabel-309-289r

Oct. 6, 2021, 2:55 p.m.

I second the previous comment that liners give sidewall support. So could consider the weight of a 25mm rim plus light liner might equal a 30 mm rim without liner.  A liner that squishes down between the beads, filling up all the internal volume of the rim channel, can act as a bead lock too.

Oct. 6, 2021, 7:17 p.m.

Figures, but Nino and Kate's wheels were special. 30mm internal rims, which are reported to be available to public someplace, and 170tpi race Aspens, which are not available to public.

https://bikerumor.com/2019/05/24/spy-shot-nino-schurter-racing-prototype-maxxis-aspen-race-xc-mountain-bike-tires/

https://bikerumor.com/2021/02/18/syncros-one-piece-carbon-silverton-sl-wheels-go-wide-30mm-internal-for-nino-kate/

Last edited by: Hepcat on Oct. 6, 2021, 7:19 p.m., edited 2 times in total.