<$2k USD trail bike reccomendations?

June 12, 2018, 10:47 p.m.

If you want something for well under 2k usd a Santa Cruz camelion is 1699

https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/chameleon

Or for 2399 you can get it with a sick fork and parts package. Also it can flip between a 29 and 27.5 which means you can put some beast tires on for the off season.

June 13, 2018, 9:01 a.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Posted by: DemonMike

Posted by: Farmer

I like the prices on those devinci's, especially that GX. I didn't realize they are the only ones still made in Canada. 

I'll be in Van this weekend. I'll try find one to test ride before I have to leave town.

One of the reasons I went with one , Made in Canada and cheaper that a US built frame with a discount.

Actually welded here?

Yup hand built in Quebec , I gained a lot more respect for them when I found that out . It,s pin stamped into the frame as well just in front of the BB on the no drive side.

June 13, 2018, 10:41 a.m.

They are heavily incentivized by the Quebec government to keep their alloy bike manufacturing in Quebec.  That being said, the cheaper bikes are made in Vietnam (IIRC).

June 13, 2018, 12:10 p.m.

Posted by: rnayel

They are heavily incentivized by the Quebec government to keep their alloy bike manufacturing in Quebec.  That being said, the cheaper bikes are made in Vietnam (IIRC)*.

*Of course, this is where the profit comes from.

At Rocky post Procycle purchase '01-'02 until The End ('07) the Annacis Isl. plant only made it into the black once, IIRC.

Devinci can probably get away with paying less for labour with Quebecs lower standard, er.....cost, I mean cost of living.

June 13, 2018, 12:40 p.m.

Posted by: rnayel

They are heavily incentivized by the Quebec government to keep their alloy bike manufacturing in Quebec.  That being said, the cheaper bikes are made in Vietnam (IIRC).

Last I heard/checked/cared only the alloy Split Pivot models were still made in Quebexico.

June 13, 2018, 9:59 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Posted by: Farmer

I like the prices on those devinci's, especially that GX. I didn't realize they are the only ones still made in Canada. 

I'll be in Van this weekend. I'll try find one to test ride before I have to leave town.

Just don't pull the d-bag move of taking up a shop's time  and then buying one online to get the cheaper price.

Looks like evo has a few of the django models in stock in Seattle. I'm flying in / out of there anyways, and have some spare time friday morning as long as flights aren't delayed. I'll check it out with them. 

I'll also be looking for a new helmet, gloves, and probably some knee pads so I won't be walking out empty handed.

June 13, 2018, 10:01 p.m.

I have never had a single frame made in Taiwan/China survive.

Broken 2x karate monkey

Broken 1x Canfield nimble 9

Broken 1 x Kona Ti Honzo

For some reason, when it comes to carbon, I feel like the Chinese may have an advantage over us as we have never had carbon frames made in Canada. What do we really know about it? Only how to sell them and how to break them I suppose. I hope my Chinese made carbon frame lasts.....

June 13, 2018, 10:48 p.m.

Question is, did you have an American/Canadian-made frame survive? I only had one survivor (95' Stumpy M2) among all the bikes I rode/ride regularly. Everything else cracked (aluminium and carbon frames). My '13 Slayer (Taiwanese) may be the second bike that didn't crack if it makes it untli it's retirement next year.