29ers

Nov. 20, 2013, 4:32 p.m.

So your bike came with a set of tires that isn't quite suitable for your riding conditions and you blame it on the tire? You know there are different types of Ardents right (rhetorical question)?

Yup, and we've had this discussion before. (likely in the 29er tire thread)

The question could be applied to the bike manufacturer, why spec. this kind of light duty tire on a bike designed for Trail and AM use?

The 2 cut Ardents went into MEC's recycle pile and were replaced with more suitable Specialized, Schwalbe and Maxxis tires.

I'd originally taken them off the bike after the first 2 damp rides on the then new bike but put them back on for summer use thinking they would be a decent tire for dry interior trails, but they didn't last.

Nov. 20, 2013, 7:23 p.m.

Yup, and we've had this discussion before. (likely in the 29er tire thread)

The question could be applied to the bike manufacturer, why spec. this kind of light duty tire on a bike designed for Trail and AM use?

I believe it was that same discussion that stated the main reason why this type of tire is specified:

- This tire suits a large percentage of the end users (we don't fit into that category)
- Claimed bike weight can be lower with lighter tires
- The bike feels lighter and snappier during the all important showroom or parking lot test
- Cost is likely low (but there will be many OE tired that are cheaper).

Blame can be put squarely on the product manager and not the tire.

Nov. 22, 2013, 7:21 p.m.

Decided to be a guinea pig and ordered a large (20") Ragley Bigwig frame. Probably going to run most of the kit that came on my GT Karakoram 1.0 and just replace it as it goes. I'd love to upgrade to a 5"/QR20 fork, gonna wait a year til stuff starts getting more affordable.

Nov. 22, 2013, 9:41 p.m.

Here is my 9R on Wednesday's ride:

:beer:

Nov. 28, 2013, 8:57 p.m.

Question for the taller 29er riders out there: In general when descending steep technical terrain do you feel more comfortable on a long travel 29er or a 27/26er with more travel?

At 6'2" I've been riding an XL HD for 4 seasons now and its time to order something new. I've had a few days each on a Bronson and a Tallboy LT, both of which I really liked and felt more comfortable and confident than the HD, especially at high speeds. My only experience on 29 is with the LT and a day on a Yeti 95. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get either of those 29s in steep terrain, the little I did get I found I could stay much more centred over the bike which I liked as opposed to over my rear wheel of the HD, essentially I'm assuming due to the OTB feeling on the smaller wheels from us taller guys.

I'm a Calgary rider but some local to you specific trail examples that come to mind are Gargamel and Kush(only ridden it in the wet which I'm not used to) in Whistler.

One thing I've found as well with the LT is I feel very comfortable jumping it over my HD, due to its inherent stability and no OTB feeling, especially off drops. And I like the idea of a shorter wheelbase of the LT compared to the Bronson.

Pivot 6 and Norco Sight are other options but I'm leaning towards the SC's as I want a fast climber. If I go TBLT, I would probably throw a 1degree angle set and possibly a 150 fork. Bronson I would leave as is with 150 fork. And as much as I would love to take more time to demo, it just seems like frames are selling out too quick these days so I want to get something ordered before the new year.

Nov. 28, 2013, 9:14 p.m.

Question for the taller 29er riders out there: In general when descending steep technical terrain do you feel more comfortable on a long travel 29er or a 27/26er with more travel?

At 6'2" I've been riding an XL HD for 4 seasons now and its time to order something new. I've had a few days each on a Bronson and a Tallboy LT, both of which I really liked and felt more comfortable and confident than the HD, especially at high speeds. My only experience on 29 is with the LT and a day on a Yeti 95. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get either of those 29s in steep terrain, the little I did get I found I could stay much more centred over the bike which I liked as opposed to over my rear wheel of the HD, essentially I'm assuming due to the OTB feeling on the smaller wheels from us taller guys.

I'm a Calgary rider but some local to you specific trail examples that come to mind are Gargamel and Kush(only ridden it in the wet which I'm not used to) in Whistler.

One thing I've found as well with the LT is I feel very comfortable jumping it over my HD, due to its inherent stability and no OTB feeling, especially off drops. And I like the idea of a shorter wheelbase of the LT compared to the Bronson.

Pivot 6 and Norco Sight are other options but I'm leaning towards the SC's as I want a fast climber. If I go TBLT, I would probably throw a 1degree angle set and possibly a 150 fork. Bronson I would leave as is with 150 fork. And as much as I would love to take more time to demo, it just seems like frames are selling out too quick these days so I want to get something ordered before the new year.

I'm 6' on a large TBLT. Tried a Bronson, but preferred the LT. Have never felt so balanced and comfortable on a new frame so quickly. I was riding a Dixon with a 36 float and offset bushing kit before (very slack head angle [HTML_REMOVED] super comfortable on steep stuff and at speed) and the LT is every bit it's equal on the steep stuff, and is much much better at everything else. I am running the LT with a Pike 150 and for me it's a great match.

Nov. 28, 2013, 11:34 p.m.

I'm nearly 6'6". 29er for sure. And by sure I mean by a huge margin. I've ridden Gargamel and Kush on my 26" Demo and more recently on my Enduro 29er. The XL Enduro 29er actually fits me so this is a huge part of it. The 29er rolls through steeps and transitions way better than any 26" bike I've ever had regardless of head angle or fork travel. Plus there's something about the big wheels balancing out against a tall rider's higher center of gravity that really helps - maybe it's something to do with BB drop. Dunno - but it's really noticeable.

If they ever make a proper XL-sized DH bike with 650b wheels then I may eat my words. But that doesn't seem likely within the next couple seasons so I'm sticking to my story for now.

Also most manufacturers continue to make their XL frames with very short head tubes, as if tall guys need help keeping their bars low.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Nov. 30, 2013, 11:29 a.m.

As above, 6'2" on a large Tallboy LTC. I have no issue with riding the steeps on this bike and it is definitely the "in the bike" feel on the steep stuff that gives the confidence. I rally my bike on anything that is presented to me and rode Whistler peak to creekside on it on all the steep loamy stuff and had a blast.

Jon-boy.

Nov. 30, 2013, 7:15 p.m.

Appreciate the feedback guys. Jonboy, I imagine you're using a long stem on your large? I hear of more and more guys around 6'2" going with a L instead of XL, including it looks like Cedric Gracia who's our height racing a L.

More and more I'm thinking of building up a capable 29 hard tail SS to pair with a Bronson or Mach6[HTML_REMOVED]#8230;then part of me thinks to go TBLT and a DH bike. Since work doesn't allow me to ski enough, may as well splurge on bikes:)

Dec. 1, 2013, 10:19 p.m.

Another 6'2" guy on a Large TBLTc. I didn't have the opportunity for a test ride when I ordered mine as that point none had been delivered. I checked the sizing recommendation with Scott Turner with at SC and a Large frame was his suggestion.

Dec. 2, 2013, 3:14 a.m.

I'm 6'2" and came off a large SB66C (longer than an XL Mojo HD anyway?) [HTML_REMOVED] onto a large Enduro29.

It fitted me pretty well, because of the long TT, so felt comfortable to ride it quickly, but it's one of few 26" bikes i've really got on with. Everything else has felt too short, or skittery when pushing on.

The Enduro felt like it fitted straight away. It's taken a bit of messing around getting the rear suspension feeling a bit firmer, without being overly harsh, but i'm there with it now.

So far, the only time i've noticed a small negative is on super steep, tech stuff, I struggled to get it to change lines easily. I think this was more of an early set up issue and the floppy wheels it came with as standard though.

I'm quicker everywhere on it, which is a bit of a surprise. 29" obviously suits my hack style…

Blur 4X - Sunday Factory.

Dec. 2, 2013, 3:05 p.m.

Anymore details on this?

Morg,
Curious as to why you spec'ed Ardents, especially what looks to be the 2.4 version, double especially as a front tire when so many other tire choices are now available? Triple especially since you once so callously referred to them as "Shardents" in an article on this very website?

PS Those rim decals need to be removed.

That's not my bike! I'm getting a green one, as there is no stock and none coming in XL blue. I'm putting the Easton EC70s on it… we'll see how they like the hardtail.

The only time you'll catch me riding an Ardent is on a borrowed bike. Like at a press launch, or when I crashed Wade's Altitude a bunch of times on Burnaby Mountain earlier this year.

flickr

Dec. 3, 2013, 6:51 p.m.

Bryan, there is no need to justify it man! I am looking to pull the trigger on a 26 inch version.

Pike purchased and installed

Dec. 5, 2013, 12:53 p.m.

The Pike is more than I want to spend but I found a used 2012 F34 Float RLC in decent shape (and black!) for fair money that is going on the Rootdown. Now I need to get a drivetrain….

Dec. 5, 2013, 12:59 p.m.

My Rootdown frame has arrived at Chromag. Headset, BB, and seatpost are here, fork is in Whistler, now just waiting on drivetrain and brakes…

flickr