29ers

Aug. 3, 2013, 12:05 p.m.

ORIGINAL FREETARD
and now I'm CROSSTARDED

Aug. 3, 2013, 12:07 p.m.

Nice! I love a good slam but I'm gonna say more spacers, tall guy!

flickr

Aug. 3, 2013, 1:34 p.m.

Nice! I love a good slam but I'm gonna say more spacers, tall guy!

I disagree. More hacksaw!!

Tall guys can't ride Intenses because they don't make big sizes.

Aug. 3, 2013, 2:33 p.m.

I disagree. More hacksaw!!

Tall guys can't ride Intenses because they don't make big sizes.

They do. I have a tracer 29 XL that is too big for me. I'm 6'4" and found it too long.

ORIGINAL FREETARD
and now I'm CROSSTARDED

Aug. 3, 2013, 3:40 p.m.

I'm 6' 4" and found the L Tracer 29 a perfect fit.

Aug. 3, 2013, 5:33 p.m.

I'm 6' 4" and found the L Tracer 29 a perfect fit.

The Spider Comp is a large. Same geo as the L T29. The XL T29 is for sale if anyone has a tall buddy with long arms…

ORIGINAL FREETARD
and now I'm CROSSTARDED

Aug. 4, 2013, 8:26 p.m.

I'm a couple of rides into my somewhat non-standard Ghost AMR2955 and while some of the spec isn't all that fap-worthy, I'm really liking the bike as a whole. I've ridden longer travel 29ers and they felt like taking a machine gun to a knife fight.
This has 110/100mm travel, sub 13" BB and 69 degree head angle so feels like a good compromise between owning the trails (doooood) and still having a challenge. Still no dropped chain with the Raceface NW 30t ring (pretty well needed with such a low BB).
I was (sadly….) thinking about fork stiffness at one point and realized that I notice when a fork is stiff, but never when it's (supposedly) flexible. And when firms start engineering the 'right' amount of flex into a fork one realizes that there is a certain amount of mind trickery involved. Suffice to say that the Reba felt predictable on the cambered roots on Executioner.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Aug. 5, 2013, 1 a.m.

I like the look of that bike. I like that 29ers are looking normal now rather than the oddly proportioned bikes they used to be. Reckon I'd still look a right tit riding one at 5'9" with a 29" inside leg though.

Aug. 7, 2013, 9:42 p.m.

got to ride this around Post Canyon today.

pretty sick, well composed and fun. stiff rear end, much stiffer wheels than my Charger Pros.

They claimed 26.7lbs for the large with XTR. I put a 60mm stem on it and it fit great, at 5'11"

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Aug. 7, 2013, 11:22 p.m.

got to ride this around Post Canyon today.

pretty sick, well composed and fun. stiff rear end, much stiffer wheels than my Charger Pros.

They claimed 26.7lbs for the large with XTR. I put a 60mm stem on it and it fit great, at 5'11"

Curious to know the chainstay/wheelbase length.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Aug. 8, 2013, 2:28 p.m.

Curious to know the chainstay/wheelbase length.

Guess you should ctl-f the shit out of their website then..

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Aug. 17, 2013, 2:38 p.m.

http://www.jensonusa.com/Easton-Haven-Carbon-29-UST-Wheel-2012?utm_medium=email[HTML_REMOVED]utm_source=EM081613

Here are 29" 2012 Easton carbon Havens for less than half price. With a two year no questions asked warranty.

Any 29er weight wienie's looking for a light wheel set? This is your huckle berry.

Aug. 26, 2013, 9:30 a.m.

http://www.jensonusa.com/Easton-Haven-Carbon-29-UST-Wheel-2012?utm_medium=email[HTML_REMOVED]utm_source=EM081613

Here are 29" 2012 Easton carbon Havens for less than half price. With a two year no questions asked warranty.

Any 29er weight wienie's looking for a light wheel set? This is your huckle berry.

I was just given a Rootdown frame for my b-day. Yeah, my wife is awesome!

Anyway, I am drooling over these Havens. They get good reviews except for they are apparently prone to rear hub issues. If I'm having repeated rear hub issues is it feasible to have a shop just replace the Easton hub with a Hope or something or is the Easton proprietary? Forgive my noob question.

taco

Aug. 26, 2013, 9:41 a.m.

I was just given a Rootdown frame for my b-day. Yeah, my wife is awesome!

Anyway, I am drooling over these Havens. They get good reviews except for they are apparently prone to rear hub issues. If I'm having repeated rear hub issues is it feasible to have a shop just replace the Easton hub with a Hope or something or is the Easton proprietary? Forgive my noob question.

taco

Rear hub issues aren't issue when you get the spacer bearing kit upgrade. Free of charge from Easton if you are the original owner. I have the kit on my Havens and they have been mint.

Aug. 26, 2013, 9:41 a.m.

i got pretty excited about those wheels, until i realized the price was per wheel, not for a set. sigh, too good to be true

if the hub craps the bed, the 2-year warranty is your safeguard - i think easton has updated the internals and offers a free upgrade kit for their rear hubs: http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Easton-Cycling-Hub-Upgrade-Kit.html

as for replacing the hub if it fails, this would seem like a logical fix, but most decent mtb aftermarket hubs (hope, king, dt swiss, i9, etc.) don't come in 24 hole, afaik, so you're likely stuck with easton's m1

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave