29ers

March 7, 2013, 6:11 p.m.

The trail looked about as technical as mountain highway and half of the laps were in the dark.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

March 7, 2013, 8:03 p.m.

i wonder if it was a more technical trail would it have favoured the 29er? i have no idea really, so much seems to come down to feel, but it was an interesting article just the same. his experience and preference for the acceleration factor was key it seemed, though these were strange bikes to me. so rigid and racy.

March 7, 2013, 9:31 p.m.

The trail looked about as technical as mountain highway and half of the laps were in the dark.

Right?? 1000ft of climbing and not a rock or root to be seen. It's hard to imagine staying interested in terrain like that. It's also no surprise that people from those places lose their shit when they come to BC.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

March 7, 2013, 9:47 p.m.

We've been doing Saturday Morning Toonie training "rides" out here in Abbotsford. Last weeks Toonie saw 11 out of the top 12 guys on 29'ers. Could be a fad, who knows.

All my Strava's, up and down, have gotten quicker since switch to 29'er a month ago. Although this might not be scientific because I could just be getting fitter.

I still take the 26'er out once a week when I go riding with my wife on Sundays. 26'er does feel more playful of a bike, but on trails I know and love, 29 is hands down faster.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=pH51rAX-G3o

March 8, 2013, 3:58 a.m.

Could also depend on the fit.
If you are tall and feel like a gazelle on a 26er you'll climb a lot more efficient on a 29er.
No need to cramp your back all the time from keeping the front wheel down on climbs etc.

If you re riding a medium 29er with negative stem and all fashizzle, the difference probably won't be as big.
I'd guess that I am faster all around on my XL 29er. It is heavy though, because its only built with mid level componentry and bike park wheels.

I'll build a carbon high end bike this fall, as a personal reward. :film:

I am leaning towards a 29er, almost decided on a Tallboy LTC, if just the chain stays would be a tad bit shorter.
I guess it even handles nicely as is, but that Enduro is definitely influencing my decision.

I wouldn't buy the 29 Enduro probably, as it really is more bike than I need. You need some pretty gnarly terrain to keep that bike satisfied.
Like an adult movie star as a fiancé. Nice in thought, but realistically pretty much "work".

I'm really curious what Santa Cruz is unveiling on April 1st, too.

Tallboy TRC would be RAD. Short chainstay carbon 29er, around 120mm travel, slack head angle.
But I'm just dreaming…

I'll definitely try and ride as many bikes as possible in all wheel sizes, before deciding though.
If I pony up for some carbon hoops I don't want to buy into the wrong camp ;-)

Greetings Znarf

March 8, 2013, 7:22 a.m.

I'd guess that I am faster all around on my XL 29er. It is heavy though, because its only built with mid level componentry and bike park wheels.

29er bike park wheels? What are they?

Like an adult movie star as a fiancé. Nice in thought, but realistically pretty much "work".

So a 29er rental bike that is all beat up with bumps and bruises that has been hucked to flat over and over again in a bike park is nice in thought? Yikes!

March 8, 2013, 7:54 a.m.

I've got some FLOW EX rims on Hope Hubs. Pretty durable and stiff so far.

Yeah, the adult star comparison is pretty nasty.
Hopefully she doesn't have braking bumps or nobby rubber.

March 8, 2013, 12:31 p.m.

Could also depend on the fit.
If you are tall and feel like a gazelle on a 26er you'll climb a lot more efficient on a 29er.
No need to cramp your back all the time from keeping the front wheel down on climbs etc.

If you re riding a medium 29er with negative stem and all fashizzle, the difference probably won't be as big.

I'll build a carbon high end bike this fall, as a personal reward. :film:

I am leaning towards a 29er, almost decided on a Tallboy LTC, if just the chain stays would be a tad bit shorter.
I guess it even handles nicely as is, but that Enduro is definitely influencing my decision.

I wouldn't buy the 29 Enduro probably, as it really is more bike than I need. You need some pretty gnarly terrain to keep that bike satisfied.

I'm really curious what Santa Cruz is unveiling on April 1st, too.

Tallboy TRC would be RAD. Short chainstay carbon 29er, around 120mm travel, slack head angle.
But I'm just dreaming…

I'll definitely try and ride as many bikes as possible in all wheel sizes, before deciding though.
If I pony up for some carbon hoops I don't want to buy into the wrong camp ;-)

Greetings Znarf

One of the reasons good 29'ers handle/climb so well IS the long chainstays. Someone of your height should happy you've finally got bikes with close to proportional chainstay length and better weight distribution for once.

This is the major fuck up of the 29" Enduro. Too short chain stays and too long from center = too rearward weight distribution and low front tire grip 95% of the time.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

March 8, 2013, 12:38 p.m.

One of the reasons good 29'ers handle/climb so well IS the long chainstays. Someone of your height should happy you've finally got bikes with close to proportional chainstay length and better weight distribution for once.

This is the major fuck up of the 29" Enduro. Too short chain stays and too long from center = too rearward weight distribution and low front tire grip 95% of the time.

Santa Cruz is releasing a new bike on April 1? What are the rumours? Will it be chocolate?
I wonder if this new bike will serve taller riders better than their current offerings?

March 8, 2013, 12:41 p.m.

I'm sure it'll be an Enduro 29" competitor.

- Morgman

March 8, 2013, 12:43 p.m.

Santa Cruz is releasing a new bike on April 1? What are the rumours? Will it be chocolate?
I wonder if this new bike will serve taller riders better than their current offerings?

my money is on not a 29er……

March 8, 2013, 12:49 p.m.

I've heard strong rumors about a 650b based on the Blur LT platform

March 8, 2013, 3:37 p.m.

Who said anything about wheel size ;)

- Morgman

March 8, 2013, 3:58 p.m.

I've heard strong rumors about a 650b based on the Blur LT platform

A 650b Blur LTC or Nomad would be outstanding. Oh and a proper XL please, while I'm continuing that whine about that.

March 8, 2013, 7:55 p.m.

Blur TRC or Nomad 650b

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.