29ers

Feb. 18, 2013, 1:48 p.m.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Feb. 18, 2013, 2:24 p.m.

Make up kiss, hell yeah. Gonna get good and ready for this.

:bandit:

Feb. 18, 2013, 2:48 p.m.

Super useful bro.

a benign correction about what the scale is reading, or sharing my experiences about the added weight of the very exact model of an adjustable seatpost I also use.

it did not occur to me that a buyer of $7000 ultra elite super light race bike has absolutely no interest in discussing a pound here or a pound there.

Apak, an obvious error on my part. I apologize. I will safely say it comes in at under 26lbs.

At this price point, I had a few 29er models I was concidering. Specialized Epic, Stumpjumper Expert [HTML_REMOVED] Evo and a Camber Pro, Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon and LT and a Scott Genius.

After a bit of deliberation and for the type of XC/AM riding I know I will be doing - Sumas, Mission - Red [HTML_REMOVED] Bear, Squamish, Whistler, Pemberton, Chilcotins and Seven Summits - I didn't want a bike that complemented my strength, descending. I was looking for my new 29er bike to strengthened one of my weaknesses, which is climbing. And I also really wanted the new ride to have a carbon wheelset.

So I quickly narrow the choices and was fortunate to be able to pre ride, back to back, a few of the different bikes on trails I know. The Stumpjumper Expert was nice and Evo was crazy fast when the trail wasn't pointed up (it sucked at climbing). I didn't like the look of the Camber Pro's headtube junction, so it didn't appeal to me. The Tallboy was a great ride but there's already 5 in my ride group, so I wanted something different. And after all those test rides, I kept wanting to go back to the Test Epic. It is a fun bike. I was quit surprised with how well you can throw it around. And it climbs like no bodies business!

A few other friends in my ride group that are on sub 22lbs 29er hardtails. A Specialize SWorks HT, Scott Scale, Orbea and a Santa Cruz Highball. So if wight weenie was the way I wanted to go, these would have been one of my choices. And I wouldn't have swapped out the stock post and SWork tires for the dropper post and Nobby Nics.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=pH51rAX-G3o

Feb. 18, 2013, 2:56 p.m.

Epics rock!

My Epic Expert Carbon 2012. Pretty much stock expect seat and stem. Comes in at 25.1 lbs with pedals but without the lights. Redefines XC riding. Lightning quick climbing, fun descending.

Feb. 18, 2013, 3:18 p.m.

Apak, an obvious error on my part. I apologize. I will safely say it comes in at under 26lbs.

A few other friends in my ride group that are on sub 22lbs 29er hardtails. A Specialize SWorks HT, Scott Scale, Orbea and a Santa Cruz Highball. So if wight weenie was the way I wanted to go, these would have been one of my choices. And I wouldn't have swapped out the stock post and SWork tires for the dropper post and Nobby Nics.

Even if going weight weenie wasn't a top priority for you, the rig you got is about as light as it is going to get for a full sus 29er. The only thing that comes close, and might be a little lighter is a Cannondale Scalpel 29er, thanks to the carbon Lefty.

And yeah, it will climb like a beast. It is all about the half-pounds going up that 11K climb on the NIMBY 50.

For tires, have you considered the Continental options? The Mountain King II 2.4s and X-King 2.4s (if they fit the frame) are lighter and just as grippy as the Nobby Nics you have on there.

Feb. 18, 2013, 6:48 p.m.

When I picked up the bike in Dec., I didn't really know what was good for 29er tire choices. All the shop had in stock for 29er was a few pair of XC slicks and the Nobby Nics. I'll look at the Conti's when these wear. Thanks

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=pH51rAX-G3o

Feb. 18, 2013, 8:21 p.m.

Hey Morgman,

NICE article on the Rocky Instinct 29er.
Do you have ride time on it yet?

Looks stellar that bike.
Especially the black theme is HOT!

Greetings Znarf

I've ridden it twice: one short XC loop at full slack (the photoshoot) and one longer more technical ride in the dead neutral setting. The second ride was enough for me to confirm my suspicions that the Large frame's 600mm top tube is a touch on the short side for me as an XC bike, especially with the stock 70/725 stem/bar combo (good choices for stock spec).

So, for ride impressions, I can't go into much detail as it would be unfair to judge a bike based on a couple of rides on a less-than-ideal fit. Fortunately the tester who will be doing the long term with that bike fits a bit smaller than me, so it's pretty much perfect. Spec-wise the 970 is really nicely equipped at $4400.

flickr

Feb. 18, 2013, 10:07 p.m.

When I picked up the bike in Dec., I didn't really know what was good for 29er tire choices. All the shop had in stock for 29er was a few pair of XC slicks and the Nobby Nics. I'll look at the Conti's when these wear. Thanks

BTW, I have been meaning to make it to the Toonie races in Abbotsford, but it starts so early!:drunk: The drive from Vancouver means getting up before the sun is up to make it in time.

From the pics trails you guys have been working on look five star. Thankfully you guys have posted the GPS route. I think I will head there and do a couple of loops of the course tomorrow afternoon.

Feb. 19, 2013, 11:45 a.m.

Thanks@morgman!

600mm eftoptube is quite short for a large 29er.

I am a bit surprised that Rocky keeps the Instinct quite under the radar marketing wise. The Altitude 650b is all over the news.

The all black paint job is really great. Looks great with any part spec and at any time.

Greetings Znarf

Feb. 19, 2013, 12:05 p.m.

Thanks@morgman!

600mm eftoptube is quite short for a large 29er.

I am a bit surprised that Rocky keeps the Instinct quite under the radar marketing wise. The Altitude 650b is all over the news.

The all black paint job is really great. Looks great with any part spec and at any time.

Greetings Znarf

It really doesn't feel like a size large. If you like your bikes a little more compact, which I do, then it's a great fit. If you prefer a more classic XC fit, then it may be better to pass for an Element.

It really did slip under the radar. Most people don't seem to know about the bike when I have spoken about it. Essentially, it's a 29er Altitude, and because of the short TT, it is really playful, and doesn't feel like a big wheeler.

Feb. 19, 2013, 12:13 p.m.

I'd rather have 3" extra suspension than 3" extra wheel diameter.
- Plato

Wrong. Always.

Feb. 21, 2013, 8:15 p.m.

Here's my new 29er. 2009 Salsa Fargo adventure tourer.

Adventurebikeness! 2012 Surly Ogre:

Feb. 22, 2013, 12:27 a.m.

It really doesn't feel like a size large. If you like your bikes a little more compact, which I do, then it's a great fit. If you prefer a more classic XC fit, then it may be better to pass for an Element.

It really did slip under the radar. Most people don't seem to know about the bike when I have spoken about it. Essentially, it's a 29er Altitude, and because of the short TT, it is really playful, and doesn't feel like a big wheeler.

The Element is not significantly longer in the ETT, but would be spec'd with more stem from the factory making it feel longer. You might need to size up to get the right bike under you.

There is a "normal" range for top tube lengths in a given size and the Instinct comes in at the lower end of the range. 600mm or 23.6" could be a big medium or a small large. They call it a large, in a range of S to XXL.

flickr

Feb. 25, 2013, 9:19 p.m.

konahonzo

Feb. 25, 2013, 9:47 p.m.

Probably sucks in technical terrain and on the shore

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.