29ers

Feb. 15, 2013, 12:37 p.m.

It's a sheep pelt. The orange pelted one is also lurking in the photo. Two dog beds, the pelt zone, and the couch; I think he has more square footage than my queen bed.

The foam roller has been revolutionary for me. I'm able to crack my mid-back in ways that massages and stretching haven't been able to. It's also an important part of the program at Marx Conditioning.

flickr

Feb. 15, 2013, 12:55 p.m.

Oh I thought the "orange pelted one lurking" was you. Or maybe Punky.

Damn I heart Gingers!

Wrong. Always.

Feb. 15, 2013, 2:51 p.m.

Nice trigger point foam roller… I hide mine because it hurts me… lol

you call that a foam roller?

THIS is a foam roller. :banana:

It causes unimaginable pain and suffering, and I love it.

Check my stuff for sale!

Feb. 15, 2013, 2:52 p.m.

you call that a foam roller?

THIS is a foam roller. :banana:

It causes unimaginable pain and suffering, and I love it.

Meh. Those spikes are squishy. It's a good roller but let's not get carried away.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Feb. 15, 2013, 2:53 p.m.

i've only seen the 26 version, there's a few around here. looks good, 15mm axle will annoy some people though.

will this be replacing the lyrik in the 26 form factor?

Check my stuff for sale!

Feb. 15, 2013, 5:38 p.m.

Guy on mtbr got these guys,

http://www.xacd.com.cn/

To make him a frame sing the Nimble 9 for inspiration.

http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/what-has-16-2-chain-stays-titanium-can-make-me-smile-90min-828064.html

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Feb. 15, 2013, 8:56 p.m.

It's a sheep pelt. The orange pelted one is also lurking in the photo.

that's not your old beard?

nice wheels btw!

Feb. 16, 2013, 8:22 p.m.

Ok, this one may not be one of the typical shore 29'ers that have been posted up here. But most 29'ers are going to shine on 95% of the rest of the trails in BC.

I picked up my 2013 Epic Marathon a month ago and I love it! Absolutely really love it!!!

SRAM 2x10 drivetrain with XO Gripshift, XO type 2 derailer, Magura MT6 brakes, Fox Brian rear and Sid Brain front and a shit load of Carbon. Carbon frame, carbon stays, carbon cranks, carbon bar, carbon Roval wheelset. Its just Carbon, Carbon, Carbon everywhere.

Out of the box, I replaced the SWorks slick tires with the Nobby Nics. It weighted in at 23.14lbs. I have since upgraded to the Blacklite Command Post which was an increase of 6.3oz over the SWorks post. So as pictured right now, its just under 24lbs.

My new Epic is replacing my 2008 Stumpy SWorks. The first thing that is clear when getting on board is this rig is its meant to climb. The taller 2X10 gearing with the stiff carbon wheelset and frame really help with the point and go up most of steep single track climbs I've encountered. An increase to my fitness has been a positive side effect to the taller gearing. And it handles the steeps going down quit well too. Better than I had expected.

I knew going from the Stumpjumper to an Epic, I would be sacrificing some squish and a bit of downhill compliance. But the perceived shortfalls haven't materialized.

I run the rear Fox Brain on the softest setting, which is actually pretty firm compared to the Stumpy. The Sid Brain up front has a manual knob that I will switch around as the trail dictates. You can pretty much lock it out in firm, but I usually run it wide open when the trail isn't pointed up. Im running a tubeless set up for the first time and still getting used to what psi to run. Have it at 30psi atm.

This 4" x 4" travel rig is going to rock for all day Chilcotin ride and races like the Nimby and JABR.

Heres a recent review and detailed specs on the UK Marathon model http://twentynineinches.com/2013/02/06/2013-specialized-epic-marathon-out-of-the-box/

Still waiting on the proper Specialized seat coller that routes the dropper cable. So a zip tie daisy chain is doing the job for now.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=pH51rAX-G3o

Feb. 16, 2013, 9:58 p.m.

Nice one, Matt. Tires and dropper are sensible changes. I'm riding what appears to be a very slightly narrower version of that rim and they are super stiff. Liking them a lot.

flickr

Feb. 18, 2013, 3:06 a.m.

Hey Morgman,

NICE article on the Rocky Instinct 29er.
Do you have ride time on it yet?

Looks stellar that bike.
Especially the black theme is HOT!

Greetings Znarf

Feb. 18, 2013, 11:14 a.m.

I picked up my 2013 Epic Marathon a month ago and I love it! Absolutely really love it!!!

SRAM 2x10 drivetrain with XO Gripshift, XO type 2 derailer, Magura MT6 brakes, Fox Brian rear and Sid Brain front and a shit load of Carbon. Carbon frame, carbon stays, carbon cranks, carbon bar, carbon Roval wheelset. Its just Carbon, Carbon, Carbon everywhere.

Out of the box, I replaced the SWorks slick tires with the Nobby Nics. It weighted in at 23.14lbs. I have since upgraded to the Blacklite Command Post which was an increase of 6.3oz over the SWorks post. So as pictured right now, its just under 24lbs.

It doesn't look like the scale says it is 23.14 pounds. Looks to me it says 23 pounds AND 14 ounces, which translates to 23.9 ~ 24 pounds.

The commandpost was only 180 grams heavier than the ultra high-end S-Works seatpost? That doesn't sound right.

With the remote cabling, the Blacklight is around 550g. If the whole rig was a tad below 24 pounds before, it is probably now firmly over 24 pounds, and closer to 25. Only pointing it out because we are talking about a high-end weight-weenie XC set-up.

:bandit:

Feb. 18, 2013, 11:56 a.m.

Only pointing it out because i'm a dick

fixed that for you a

matt's talking about how stoked he is on his new bike. if you want to heckle weight-weenies, you should head over the mtbr :idea:

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Feb. 18, 2013, 12:12 p.m.

fixed that for you a

matt's talking about how stoked he is on his new bike. if you want to heckle weight-weenies, you should head over the mtbr :idea:

Super useful bro.

Calling me a dick is indeed much more productive and a more objective contribution here than a benign correction about what the scale is reading, or sharing my experiences about the added weight of the very exact model of an adjustable seatpost I also use.

Being a dick, it did not occur to me that a buyer of $7000 ultra elite super light race bike has absolutely no interest in discussing a pound here or a pound there.

:bandit:

Feb. 18, 2013, 1:39 p.m.

Why don't you two get a room and kiss it out.

Wrong. Always.

Feb. 18, 2013, 1:46 p.m.

here you two, have a cookie and a cup of milk