29ers

June 11, 2012, 2:40 p.m.

So I was forced at gunpoint to ride a 29er on a gnarly trail today. A Banshee Prime. After finally forcing myself to stop laughing at the size of the wheels I jumped on.

Ummm…

Arrr……

Yeah…..

It felt really good WTF

treezz
wow you are a ass

June 11, 2012, 10:25 p.m.

My new Ride

Just waiting on a 30.9 Reverb and some Bonty 29-4 tires. The stock WTB tire are ok on hardpack but suck in any soft stuff. Very squirmy, tough to hold a straight line. Bike handles great otherwise but only a couple rides so far. Using a 750mm bar, wasn't too sure if I'd like it that wide, but with a slightly short stem it works out great. Exactly 30lbs.

June 12, 2012, 11:58 a.m.

Finally ordered up a Chromag Fubars OS Flat Bar. (to Germany :grinno: )

730mm wide I think. 11 degrees bend.

I was always most comfortable on 685mm bars, but the 29er makes them feel a wee bit narrow. Maybe the added width will feel good.
Otherwise I will trim them. The added bend will feel better anyway.

Greetings Znarf

June 12, 2012, 12:14 p.m.

Mine from when I picked it up from the LBS almost 2 weeks ago.
27.91 lbs as it sits in the pic.

Changes so far:
- XT trail pedals
- Maxxis 2.2 Ardents off, replaced with Specialized 2.2 Purgatory (huge improvement for conditions around here)
- WTB Volt saddle off (to flat for me), replaced with a WTB Rocket SLT (currently an old one, new one on order)

Plans:
- 6" rear Ice rotor to be replaced by 7" Ice (On my 26" bike with 6" rotors I've had problems with boiling brake fluid and yellow/blue rotors)
- Reverb seatpost (getting it tomorrow)
- Stock XT brake pads to be replaced with XT metallic with cooling fins (on order)

It is a blast to ride.

June 15, 2012, 11:08 a.m.

The Lord of the Epic Drop and Slam Josh Bender rides a 29er?

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

June 15, 2012, 11:29 p.m.

so many awesome bikes. that Shinobi is about the coolest looking bike going these days. great name too.

June 16, 2012, 3:46 a.m.

well, here is my latest rig

to cut a long story short, had a 2012 Stumpy Evo 29er and there was a tolerance issue with the PF30 BB shell of the frame

Specialized UK awesome warranty people upgraded me to the Stumpy Expert Carbon Fibre frame, free of charge, and even included a new PF30 BB, new headset and chain device

whole warranty process took less than 3 days to turn around; ended up with a very cool bike with the 1 x 10 gearing and longer 100mm Fox fork off the Evo, slacking the HA out a degree over the stock Expert bike

June 17, 2012, 5:52 p.m.

Rode my Range today for the first time in about 3 weeks. Talk about an uninspiring and generally boring ride.

Probably best to keep on hulk smashing shit with my wagon wheels instead!

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

June 18, 2012, 11:14 a.m.

After spending the first half of this year riding a 130mm travel 29er, I got back on a 160mm travel 26" bike for a day at the Woodlot yesterday…

The Bad

• The 26" bike was definitely slower on the climbs - 29er wheels roll faster [HTML_REMOVED] they have more traction. Even though you can push a higher gear on the 26", the 29er spins up fireroads quicker [HTML_REMOVED] with less effort required [HTML_REMOVED] the back tire resists spinning out better on tech/slippery climbs
  • The 26" bike felt comparatively slack [HTML_REMOVED] a little wandery on the climbs, yet it felt like it could have done with being slacker for the descents
  • Even with another 30mm of travel, the 26" bike has not as smooth or stable on rough trails as the 29er

The Good

• The 26" bike was easier to throw around [HTML_REMOVED] I felt better able to place it on the trail. It was more fun on the descents, even though it was probably a bit slower
  • Cornering - I felt a lot more confident to push the 26" bike in the corners [HTML_REMOVED] allow it to drift
  • Predictable - when my 29er begins to drift or slide over wet roots, my instinct is to shut 'er down. On the 26" I was much more confident allowing the bike to slide as it always felt predictable
  • Being lower to the ground was a definite bonus when riding skinnies or slower steep tech lines
  • Super Tacky compound front tire - oh how I have missed you! Tire choice is still a limiting factor on 29ers

Overall, both bikes have their benefits. The 29er is definitely the faster bike, both uphill [HTML_REMOVED] back down (especially if the trails are rough/chundery). It feels stable [HTML_REMOVED] very sure-footed. However, after almost 6 months on the 29er, I think I had begun to miss the playfulness of a good 26" bike. 26" wheels have that 'flickability' that's missing from the 29er experience. I hadn't realized what I'd been giving up in the corners too… Perhaps being a bit higher up, combined with the longer contact patch makes it harder to start to drift the 29er [HTML_REMOVED] when it does break loose, it feels much less predictable. Or perhaps its a lifetime of riding 26" bikes, compared to 6 months on a 29er?

I think I'll still be reaching for the 29er pretty often, especially for longer more XC days, but for shorter rides where the focus is on fun I'll definitely be spending some more time on 26" wheels.

June 18, 2012, 12:04 p.m.

After spending the first half of this year riding a 130mm travel 29er, I got back on a 160mm travel 26" bike for a day at the Woodlot yesterday…

The Bad

• The 26" bike was definitely slower on the climbs - 29er wheels roll faster [HTML_REMOVED] they have more traction. Even though you can push a higher gear on the 26", the 29er spins up fireroads quicker [HTML_REMOVED] with less effort required [HTML_REMOVED] the back tire resists spinning out better on tech/slippery climbs
  • The 26" bike felt too slack [HTML_REMOVED] wandery on the climbs, yet I would have liked it to be a little slacker for the descents
  • Even with another 30mm of travel, the 26" bike has not as smooth or stable on rough trails as the 29er

The Good

• The 26" bike was easier to throw around [HTML_REMOVED] I felt better able to place it on the trail. It was more fun on the descents, even though it was probably a bit slower
  • Cornering - I felt a lot more confident to push the 26" bike in the corners [HTML_REMOVED] allow it to drift
  • Predictable - when my 29er begins to drift or slide over wet roots, my instinct is to shut 'er down. On the 26" I was much more confident allowing the bike to slide as it always felt predictable
  • Being lower to the ground was a definite bonus when riding skinnies or slower steep tech lines
  • Super Tacky compound front tire - oh how I have missed you! Tire choice is still a limiting factor on 29ers

Overall, both bikes have their benefits. The 29er is definitely the faster bike, both uphill [HTML_REMOVED] back down (especially if the trails are rough/chundery). It feels stable [HTML_REMOVED] very sure-footed. However, after almost 6 months on the 29er, I think I had begun to miss the playfulness of a good 26" bike. 26" wheels have that 'flickability' that's missing from the 29er experience. I hadn't realized what I'd been giving up in the corners too… Perhaps being a bit higher up, combined with the longer contact patch makes it harder to start to drift the 29er [HTML_REMOVED] when it does break loose, it feels much less predictable. Or perhaps its a lifetime of riding 26" bikes, compared to 6 months on a 29er?

I think I'll still be reaching for the 29er pretty often, especially for longer more XC days, but for shorter rides where the focus is on fun I'll definitely be spending some more time on 26" wheels.

Similar to my feelings on the two. But you're comparing bikes with different riding intents. Still a valid comparison. I have a HT 29er race bike (not that I enter races any more but that is what is at 22 pounds.) and the other is Nomad Carbon. I do find that the Nomad can wonder on climbs even with the TALAS at 120 and then I strike pedals a lot more if it is a lumpy technical climb.

The Nomad I think corners better but more from the slacker more stable geo AND the bigger fatter softer tires. The 29er has a lower bb so it feels fine with respect to stability. I do not find it less flickable in fact I find my 29er much quicker and more nimble. I am not a jumper or cutties type rider.

I really like having my two bikes being pretty far a part in terms of what they are good at. Easier to decide which bike to take for a given ride. Anytime I decide to ride a moderately tech descent, the Nomad is the one. XC and stupid long climbs and the Highball gets the nod.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

June 18, 2012, 12:33 p.m.

Similar to my feelings on the two. But you're comparing bikes with different riding intents.

I think a 130mm 29er [HTML_REMOVED] a 160mm 26" bike are very similar with regard to intent. They both weigh about the same [HTML_REMOVED] have very similar components.

June 18, 2012, 1:09 p.m.

I think a 130mm 29er [HTML_REMOVED] a 160mm 26" bike are very similar with regard to intent. They both weigh about the same [HTML_REMOVED] have very similar components.

Which one were you on?

Me. Car/Web Work. Twitter. FFFFound.

June 18, 2012, 1:24 p.m.

my Stumpy 29er HT is 24lb 11oz with pedals on digital (Park) scales

not a particularly light 29er build with Easton Havoc DH bar, Thomson finishing kit, Purgatory Control 2.2" tires and Roval rims / Stout hubs, SRAM 1250 crank and E13 chain device

however, feels very "light" to ride, after several seasons riding 26" wheel 150-160mm suspension bikes in the 29-32lb range

June 18, 2012, 2:04 p.m.

Going from the full squish 26 to the Surface I have found that 90% of my riding style hasn't changed. I'm not hitting the G-Drop or DNZ jumps with the Surface (do people still huck themselves on HTs?) but I wasn't really hitting them on my Range either.

I actually prefer riding a trail like Fuzzy Hugs with all it's bermed pump tracky goodness on my Surface over the Range.

Most likely not going to run my Surface in WBP and most likely not going to pedal the Range for a BCBR Stage. Different tools for different jobs

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

June 19, 2012, 8:18 a.m.

Which one were you on?

the nsmb industry-content police wouldn't like his answer.