29er tires

Aug. 11, 2015, 3:02 p.m.

You can blame Arthur…

I could…

OR, if I can get two witnesses who say Jerry Willows is responsible for 29er+ (and heck 27.5+ while we're at it) I'll approach Cam about writing an article, National Enquirer style, about how the whole Plus+ sized "thing" is your fault.

I'll call it:

"Bigger Is Always Better: 20mm Axles and Plus+ Sized Tires, The Jerry Willows Story". A multi eyewitness account to the birth of yet another new standard, with a forward by Dave Tolnai explaining how all bikes will be Willows-ized (Willows-sized, Willow-sized, Willowsized???) within 2-4 years.

Opening quote:

I need max traction and bigger tires have less rolling resistance.

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Aug. 11, 2015, 5:06 p.m.

Anywhere locally that carries 29er Ikon 2.35 EXO TR for under 100? If not locally, where online?

Wrong. Always.

Aug. 11, 2015, 5:15 p.m.

Anywhere locally that carries 29er Ikon 2.35 EXO TR for under 100? If not locally, where online?

In all seriousness, if you aren't racing XC (and if you were you would ride a 2.2 Ikon) then buy a Specialized Slaughter… or if you have an aversion to the Big-S then buy a Schwalbe Rock Razor.

I like the Grid version of the Slaughter, but if you are trying to beat your friends in a bike weighing competition the Control model holds up well enough around here.

The Slaughter rolls almost as fast as the Ikon for those long days with heavy pedaling, but it actually has awesome cornering traction and it drifts/brakes very predictably. The 2.3" is a great balance between air volume and Willowsizedness.

I really, really like my Magic Mary Super Gravity up front to the point that I am willing to pay Schwalbe money for it (the Super Gravity definitely outlives the standard Snake Skin tire as well) vs. a Specialized Butcher (also a very good tire) but the Slaughter is a ridiculously good deal for the performance and I go through rears at about 2:1 compared to fronts.

Aug. 12, 2015, 9:08 a.m.

In all seriousness, if you aren't racing XC (and if you were you would ride a 2.2 Ikon) then buy a Specialized Slaughter… or if you have an aversion to the Big-S then buy a Schwalbe Rock Razor.

I like the Grid version of the Slaughter, but if you are trying to beat your friends in a bike weighing competition the Control model holds up well enough around here.

The Slaughter rolls almost as fast as the Ikon for those long days with heavy pedaling, but it actually has awesome cornering traction and it drifts/brakes very predictably. The 2.3" is a great balance between air volume and Willowsizedness.

I really, really like my Magic Mary Super Gravity up front to the point that I am willing to pay Schwalbe money for it (the Super Gravity definitely outlives the standard Snake Skin tire as well) vs. a Specialized Butcher (also a very good tire) but the Slaughter is a ridiculously good deal for the performance and I go through rears at about 2:1 compared to fronts.

Thanks for your advice. I needed someone in the know to help me in this decision. I love my Butcher up front and the Purgatory, while pretty good and predictible, has me craving something faster. I guess even with the weight penalty of the Slaughter Grid I would end up with a faster rolling (and perhaps better climbing?) tire than the purgatory and a great match for the cornering of the Butcher. Price is better than Maxxis too. So I'm on the slaughter hunt. I think I will go with the Grid too as I sometimes find my Butcher Control a bit flexy when run at lower psi (like 24ish.)

Gracias!

Wrong. Always.

Aug. 12, 2015, 9:42 a.m.

I have a lot of hours on the Purgatory and I think it's a great do everything tire. Slaughter is definitely faster rolling and offers better bite in corners. Negatives of Slaughter are a shorter usable life and weak straight line braking in loose conditions.

For whatever reason I get out riding more in the winter than the summer generally and, last year being a bit of an exception, that means lots of wet days. I'd take the penalty of the Grid sidewall any/every day for the extra flat protection (specifically against catastrophic flats).

Rolling weight is rolling weight, so keep in mind I only race myself and my bias is towards reliability.

More sidewall support definitely will give you a less squirely ride at low pressures. I run my tires fairly firm so it's not really a consideration for me.

Aug. 12, 2015, 9:49 a.m.

I have a lot of hours on the Purgatory and I think it's a great do everything tire. Slaughter is definitely faster rolling and offers better bite in corners. Negatives of Slaughter are a shorter usable life and weak straight line braking in loose conditions.

For whatever reason I get out riding more in the winter than the summer generally and, last year being a bit of an exception, that means lots of wet days. I'd take the penalty of the Grid sidewall any/every day for the extra flat protection (specifically against catastrophic flats).

Rolling weight is rolling weight, so keep in mind I only race myself and my bias is towards reliability.

Thanks. I might go with Control now that I see there is a 175 g difference. Tough call. I've never been a real tire killer. I have to decide between extra weight vs extra squirm. But I, like you, have been running my tires a bit firmer and might continue with that trend. Even with 29 or 30 psi, a tire run tubeless seems to be more supple and grippy than a tire run with a tube.

Wrong. Always.

Aug. 12, 2015, 9:55 a.m.

I could…

OR, if I can get two witnesses who say Jerry Willows is responsible for 29er+ (and heck 27.5+ while we're at it) I'll approach Cam about writing an article, National Enquirer style, about how the whole Plus+ sized "thing" is your fault.

I'll call it:

"Bigger Is Always Better: 20mm Axles and Plus+ Sized Tires, The Jerry Willows Story". A multi eyewitness account to the birth of yet another new standard, with a forward by Dave Tolnai explaining how all bikes will be Willows-ized (Willows-sized, Willow-sized, Willowsized???) within 2-4 years.

Opening quote:

I think you have been sniffing too many diapers but my 29er days have been gone for a couple of years now. Actually not a fan of the plus size thing either. 650b with 2.3 to 2.5 tires seems to work just fine.

:canada:

Aug. 12, 2015, 10:09 a.m.

I think you have been sniffing too many diapers but my 29er days have been gone for a couple of years now. Actually not a fan of the plus size thing either. 650b with 2.3 to 2.5 tires seems to work just fine.

That's what makes it funny Jerry.

If you were in to Plus+ sized Boost wheels there would really be no point in writing an article about it…

I think you're safe though. Thus far no one has come forward to identify you as the founder of PLUS+ NATION.

Aug. 12, 2015, 10:13 a.m.

That's what makes it funny Jerry.

If you were in to Plus+ sized Boost wheels there would really be no point in writing an article about it…

I think you're safe though. Thus far no one has come forward to identify you as the founder of PLUS+ NATION.

I'm going DOUBLE TIME™ your SPEEDBALL™ and Boost it out of sight! Don't forget to SEEKER™ and SIDE SWAP™ it as well.

:canada:

Aug. 17, 2015, 11:39 a.m.

Well I smell autumn (just barely) and never got off my arse to get a Slaughter for the summer. I also really like the predictablity of my Purgatory on the rear, but it's starting to get worn. I think when it's time to replace it I will go Purgatory but with the Grid casing instead of Control as I did some psi testing and seem to like the speed and grip of psi around 24 or 25 but want a bit less squirm from the back. Sounds like the Purgatory Grid is my goldilocks (still pretty light too.)

Wrong. Always.

Aug. 23, 2015, 2:28 p.m.

highly recommend the new michelin "wild rock'r 2 advanced" if you want a tire for the apocolypse. its aggressive, thick, heavy, damp, and has crazy traction in all vectors. like a mavic charge on steroids. proper knobs, unlike the 29er versions of the HR2 or butcher. with a slaughter grid out back i'm rolling along fine.

Aug. 25, 2015, 10:28 a.m.

heavy tire! prefer it over DHF 2.5 or MM SG? what 29er are you running these on by the by?

Aug. 26, 2015, 12:13 a.m.

she's heavy all right. riding a lapierre zesty trail this year, fun bike.
have a dhf 2.5 on the front of the hardtail, and its awesome.
not a MM fan, i find it sketchy on wet rocks/roots.

April 22, 2016, 1:16 a.m.

Time to bump this! I am running a heavy ass Michelin Wild Rockr2 advanced, MaxicX on the front and it was an amazing winter tire….but too heavy for summer. In the rear I bought a Bonty SR4 Team Issue and it's good…but the casing reminds me of a control casing…ugh. I like the look of the XR4, but no 29er sizes….wtf?

In the past I have run Grid Butchers in the front and either Grid Purgs or GC on the rear with good results, but I would like to get away from the big S and try something different.

What are ya'll putting on for the summer?

April 22, 2016, 6:52 a.m.

Time to bump this! I am running a heavy ass Michelin Wild Rockr2 advanced, MaxicX on the front and it was an amazing winter tire….but too heavy for summer. In the rear I bought a Bonty SR4 Team Issue and it's good…but the casing reminds me of a control casing…ugh. I like the look of the XR4, but no 29er sizes….wtf?

In the past I have run Grid Butchers in the front and either Grid Purgs or GC on the rear with good results, but I would like to get away from the big S and try something different.

What are ya'll putting on for the summer?

i have a XR4 in 2.3 29er sitting on me deck right now. it's a nice tire. except the hole in the sidewall from my first ever tubeless pinch flat, this is after a few years of running specialized control casings!
you might have the SR and XR reversed though, as the SR is the thicker casing and the XR is the thinner.