29er tires

Aug. 2, 2015, 10:25 p.m.

i just put a minion dhf 2.5 on the front of the smuggler. now that's the tire i wanna see when i look down. i feel like it's looking up at me and saying 'i dare ya'. i reckon i can run this thing at 20 psi possibly lower. massive sticky meat.

Aug. 10, 2015, 2:39 p.m.

just browsing an long thread from the beginning and saw this.
DrewM inspired the 29+ movement with this comment!

as for tires i picked up a Maxxis Ikon 2.35 exo thinking it looked like a nice replacement for my slaughter on the rear.

Hey, have you got an update on the Ikon? How does it compare to the Slaughter? I am trying to decide between those two tires (Ikon 2.35 3C EXO/TR vs Slaughter Grid.) I think I need something faster rolling than my rear Purgatory (love the Butcher up front tho.)

Wrong. Always.

Aug. 10, 2015, 3:18 p.m.

I just put on a new Slaughter 2.35, tubeless. I like it. Faster than the Purg., but with substantial side lugs. It has enough traction for braking and does a cool thing when braking where it'll break loose a little, but then hook up real nice once you lean over and hit the corner. Overall it has more grip than my super worn out purg, but that was, well, super worn out. We shall see about things in the wet. I expect to be changing it out when it starts getting greasy out.

Also put on a new Hans. 2.35 on the front. I still love that tire.

Aug. 10, 2015, 9:48 p.m.

Where are folks getting the Spec tires in Van?

Aug. 10, 2015, 9:49 p.m.

Different Bikes for me

:canada:

Aug. 10, 2015, 10:02 p.m.

Hey, have you got an update on the Ikon? How does it compare to the Slaughter? I am trying to decide between those two tires (Ikon 2.35 3C EXO/TR vs Slaughter Grid.) I think I need something faster rolling than my rear Purgatory (love the Butcher up front tho.)

i like the Ikon so far ( 2.35 exo /tr ). ive got a few rides in it up and down the island. some snowden, cumby - thirsty beaver, ect , various nanaimo trails.
so far i find the Ikon is a bit better at mixed climbing / rolling trails. it corners well on the rear, but the side knobs are no where as substantial as the Slaughter. The Ikon also has a bit more straight line braking .. for obvious reasons.

i do miss the fun drifty cornering until the bike is laid over enough for the side knobs to bit in. the Ikon is pretty predictable across the range of lean.

i had the control casing for the slaughter vs. the exo on the Ikon. the ikon is lighter and better at lower PSI.

Aug. 10, 2015, 10:30 p.m.

Is Schwalbe an Indonesian German translation for overpriced?

Have a Rock Razor Trailstar out back with 170km on it and the side knobs are already doing the Schwalbe shuffle! The Purg on previously had 800km on it and the side knobs look to be in wayyyy better shape.

I feel the Purg treated myself well so maybe I should give the Slaughter a go. Is Maxxis going to come out with a RR/Slaughter-esque tire? Tomahawk isn't available in 29 and not sure how I feel about it. Had a 2.25 Ardent first, could try the Ardent Race. Ikon might look okay unsure if I want the 2.35 out back, is the 2.2 the same tire? Or does it suffer Ardent issues?

Feeling like a Shorty up front, DHRII out back winter setup might be right

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Aug. 11, 2015, 8:20 a.m.

Ikon might look okay unsure if I want the 2.35 out back, is the 2.2 the same tire? Or does it suffer Ardent issues?

I think it might suffer Ardent issues in the 2.2 form. The tread pattern looks the same, but the knobs look smaller and tighter on the 2.2. I don't mind the 2.35 on the rear. it's lighter than what i had, but nice and fat for the rear of the HT. i was running it fairly low last night and i didn't have much of an issue with tire roll.

Aug. 11, 2015, 8:34 a.m.

There is definitely a tire missing from everyone's lineup, something with centre knobs that are fast rolling but suitable for wet weather, but with proper cornering knobs.

For example, the Spec Ground Control is a great fast winter tire but the profile is quite round and it washes out when pushed hard in corners.

Give us a wet weather Slaughter.

Aug. 11, 2015, 9:20 a.m.

There is definitely a tire missing from everyone's lineup, something with centre knobs that are fast rolling but suitable for wet weather, but with proper cornering knobs.

For example, the Spec Ground Control is a great fast winter tire but the profile is quite round and it washes out when pushed hard in corners.

I'm pretty set on having a Butcher on the front year round. For rear, I am considering the Ikon (or possibly the Slaughter) for the good months and a Butcher for the crap months. I wonder what Butchers on the rear have been like for those who have tried? I mean some people have used Minion DHF's on the back and the Butcher is in that ballpark right?

Wrong. Always.

Aug. 11, 2015, 9:30 a.m.

I think it might suffer Ardent issues in the 2.2 form. The tread pattern looks the same, but the knobs look smaller and tighter on the 2.2. I don't mind the 2.35 on the rear. it's lighter than what i had, but nice and fat for the rear of the HT. i was running it fairly low last night and i didn't have much of an issue with tire roll.

I figured that was going to be the case. I noticed the 2.35 is a 60 ETRTO which is the same as the 2.35 RR which is a fairly massive tire.

I found the Rock Razor to be fairly okay with the wet weather we had on the coast two weeks ago. Rode BTS-Viper-Torrent with it. Have ridden the same trails with a Purg out back plus WBP and Westside trails
I figure I will likely man up and run dual DHRIIs or I'll throw the Magic Mary up front and put the DHRII out back for the winter.:idea:

My tire experimental phase is becoming tiresome… :fruit:

Ed.
Oh does anyone know if Specialized has started to sell those spoke hole covers for tubeless yet?

Aug. 11, 2015, 9:40 a.m.

just browsing an long thread from the beginning and saw this.
DrewM inspired the 29+ movement with this comment!

So, so high on my list of things I'd rather not be blamed for… Do you think we could just tell everyone it was Jerry Willow's fault?

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Aug. 11, 2015, 12:06 p.m.

You can blame Arthur…

:canada:

Aug. 11, 2015, 12:29 p.m.

A Gazzi in 29? That'd weigh more than a car tire. I was just talking about that old tire to my young 16 year old friend. He was thinking 27.5 plus will be awesome. I asked why no one had that size at EWS? I asked him why the gazzi went away? I asked him why motocross and enduro motorcycles don't have fat tires relative to their weight and horsepower that would be proportional similar to 27.5 or 29er plus sizes?

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Aug. 11, 2015, 1:18 p.m.

Rotational mass is one of the worst things to have!